• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me improve my falco (vids)

Eaode

Smash Champion
second video glitches up at 4:25 and acts like it's done. o.o

Anyway, your falco's pretty good. Your spacing is great for the most part. Try to spike more perhaps, it worked well in the third match.

And when you're stuck in an edgetech-battle, instead of tech->fall->Up-B, you should techjump->Phantasm. If you sweetspot, LHDL and continue from there. If you don't sweetspot, you're far enough away to start SHLing and not have to worry. I made that same mistake versus my friend's sheik. Tech, Tech, Die >_>

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to help you out. Problem is your falco is better than mine, so there's only so much I can help you with.

A few things I noticed:

Your recovery got punished a little disproportionately (in other words, Light punished your recovery more than most other aspects of your game). You tended to recover with a low phantasm or upb, and you often either missed the sweetspot or intentionally went at light. He punished this a lot. But he didn't punish you so much when you went for one the the raised platforms, and there were lots of times you could have done either. Try to take note in a match if your recovery is getting *****, and change tactics (high recovery, more consistent sweetspotting).

Also, there were several times, especially in the third video, where you opened up with a fsmash while light was just standing there. This almost always got sheildgrabbed. And there were a few times where a ftilt would've worked well instead with less risk. On the flip side of that, you didn't seem to lead into your fsmashes with jab very much. 5:32 in the second video is a perfect example of where you could've done that and ended the stock right there, but you ftilted (and missed) instead

finally, your approaches were well executed across the board, but in the second video you seemed especially patient in your approach. I think it might have made a difference to the outcome of the match, as you rarely got within striking range of peach without a clear advantage. Keep this up.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
1: You need to grab, grab alot, especially if you notice they are blocking until you get close. Grabbing is one of the easiest ways to put damage on anyone. Most falco players don't grab as much as they should, they try to be like bombsoldier and pillar everything (kind of sad actually). Try to chain grabs together along with hits before you throw them. Throwing people can start some pretty nice combos as well.

2: You need more experience, alot of situations where a different move would have been alot better suited to work and could have gotten you better results than what you did. In essense, you need to play smarter.

3: You need to become a better pursuer. I know peach is a very floaty character but your pursuit could have been faster and there for made you more potent. Don't overpersue but be fast enough to chain hits better than what you were. This includes your platform pursuit as well, on, through and around platforms.

4: Work on your recovery tactics. Pleas don't weight sink/crouch cancel against peach, it will get you ****ed.

Work on situation analyzation, if there is a situation that looks potentially harmful, it's better to just avoid it entirely. Essentially, playing smarter and seeing these things ahead of time comes with experience.

Other than that, your tech skill is pretty good and you did alot of things pretty well.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I'm going to go ahead and contradict the talk of approaches above. While your approach is mostly fine, you really need to tone it down on peach. I know falcos love to combo and they love to get into the fray and just beat the **** out of people, but if there's a character you shouldn't be doing this against, it's certainly peach. Peach out prioritizes Falco and can punish you really badly with dsmash and cging. Because of this, you really need to keep your distance and be a spammy ***** with this laser. You were starting to get this right in the third match, but she just floated right above it and you didn't prove that you could hit her there. You need to be able to hit that target and keep her the hell away from you until you can pick your spots to fight her. Cowboyardee is correct about the fsmash, sub in ftilt to test them, as falco doesn't follow through into grab range and recovers in time to run the hell away. You need to play a hit and run game with Peach and only go for short combos to rack up 20-30% and then get away. Check out B-Will's vids vs. Light, he demonstrates pretty well what I'm trying to get at for how to play vs. peach.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
haha thanks Wesley, you couldn't have said this better.

I am somewhat of an aggressive falco, but I know exactly when to chill out. Yes, peach is a character in which you need to laser spam, same goes with samus, jiggs (somewhat), marth (at times), and a couple of other characters.

I haven't watched these vids yet, butters, but I will soon. Butters is too good.

Also, Wesley, you should post in my thread since you watched my vids cause I don't want my thread to die lol. :laugh:

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Light has a way of making space animals look worse than they are. But you have to frustrate him with teh laser spam. It's just that Light looks so hittable just standing there and you (as well as I) want to go over there and just destroy him. But don't give in to your urges. You're a stud, Butters. I can't wait to play you again.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Solid falco, you did best in the third match IMO, do that more...

Anyways, I think what everyone said you should listen to, they are correct, just practice against more peaches, that always helps to know the weight ect...

GG, just keep playin

Top Bottom