• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me get good with Diddy Kong.

houselobos

Smash Rookie
Hey, I wanted some advice on how to get better at playing with Diddy Kong.

I've had the game for a while but I am pretty much a noob. I'm confused as the best way to start, what resources to use, how to become more effective at 1v1's, etc.

In terms of my skill level, I pretty much get creamed online most matches. I live in Orlando which I know is a big area for Smash so I am looking for players I can grow with.

Let me know what I should be doing to become a better smash player.

Thanks in advance.

Lobos

Nabil

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nabil_M12
3DS FC
1091-9087-4839
Okay so the first thing I would recommend for a Diddy Kong player, is to look at the various guides on here. One that you should REALLY check out, is Freakazo's solo diddy training guide. Props to him really, great guide, really got me started on Diddy Kong. Once you're done with the basic stuff, check out the other various guides to learn about Diddy (Yep. Learning and studying. Boring, I know).
I suggest you watch top players like ZeRo, Nietono, Zinoto, Angel Cortes.. etc. You will learn a lot from them if you pay close attention to what they do.
And lastly, sounds like you need to get better at general smash more than Diddy Kong specifically. The only way to do that is through experience. You can analyse other's play while you're watching them, analyse your own replays (especially when you get absolutely destroyed), but what's going to REALLY help in the end is your own experience. Like you said, you're in Orlando. Ask for locals, and ask for critique. Don't get defensive if they say you're playing badly, take constructive criticism. Ultimately, ask them to point out all your mistakes and work on those things.
Trust me, we've all been there at one point in our smash lives, you'll get out of it~

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It would help if you explained what it is exactly that you're doing incorrectly. Vague requests do not particularly give good advice. As Nabil said, experience and watching what you're doing and what others are doing will help you out. It's a matter of how you respond to what you or your opponent is doing that will help you improve. Say you roll a lot and are punished for it. Try to be conscious at not rolling. If you observe my match here, you will notice that not once do I roll. This is a conscious effort, and when you learn to make a conscious effort in anything you do, you will improve. In that same video, you'll notice there are things I opt out of doing because I just don't see it working if I tried.

Of course that's a video of Samus, but I still think it applies for any character you use, especially Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong is a fun character to play as, but you'll need to learn to use your bananas often to allow you to go in for some hits. If you throw your banana at your opponent and he/she shields, you can still dash and grab, which you can then throw down and follow up with n-air, u-air, or b-air. Learn more about Diddy Kong's Up-B to get familiar with how you can recover. Remember that Diddy Kong can also stick to walls. Learn to choose what you feel is best when you use Forward-B. If you attack with that off stage, you cannot return. Diddy Kong as some good tilts, too, so I'd go for those while using him.

What's most important is learning more about Diddy Kong and understanding him as a character. Learn what he's good at and what he's not good at. The sooner you understand Diddy Kong, the better.

houselobos

Smash Rookie
Please use the 'edit' function to avoid double posting!
Okay so the first thing I would recommend for a Diddy Kong player, is to look at the various guides on here. One that you should REALLY check out, is Freakazo's solo diddy training guide. Props to him really, great guide, really got me started on Diddy Kong. Once you're done with the basic stuff, check out the other various guides to learn about Diddy (Yep. Learning and studying. Boring, I know).
I suggest you watch top players like ZeRo, Nietono, Zinoto, Angel Cortes.. etc. You will learn a lot from them if you pay close attention to what they do.
And lastly, sounds like you need to get better at general smash more than Diddy Kong specifically. The only way to do that is through experience. You can analyse other's play while you're watching them, analyse your own replays (especially when you get absolutely destroyed), but what's going to REALLY help in the end is your own experience. Like you said, you're in Orlando. Ask for locals, and ask for critique. Don't get defensive if they say you're playing badly, take constructive criticism. Ultimately, ask them to point out all your mistakes and work on those things.
Trust me, we've all been there at one point in our smash lives, you'll get out of it~

Awesome. Thanks for the response. That guide along with your general tips is exactly what I was looking for.

It would help if you explained what it is exactly that you're doing incorrectly. Vague requests do not particularly give good advice. As Nabil said, experience and watching what you're doing and what others are doing will help you out. It's a matter of how you respond to what you or your opponent is doing that will help you improve. Say you roll a lot and are punished for it. Try to be conscious at not rolling. If you observe my match here, you will notice that not once do I roll. This is a conscious effort, and when you learn to make a conscious effort in anything you do, you will improve. In that same video, you'll notice there are things I opt out of doing because I just don't see it working if I tried.

Of course that's a video of Samus, but I still think it applies for any character you use, especially Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong is a fun character to play as, but you'll need to learn to use your bananas often to allow you to go in for some hits. If you throw your banana at your opponent and he/she shields, you can still dash and grab, which you can then throw down and follow up with n-air, u-air, or b-air. Learn more about Diddy Kong's Up-B to get familiar with how you can recover. Remember that Diddy Kong can also stick to walls. Learn to choose what you feel is best when you use Forward-B. If you attack with that off stage, you cannot return. Diddy Kong as some good tilts, too, so I'd go for those while using him.

What's most important is learning more about Diddy Kong and understanding him as a character. Learn what he's good at and what he's not good at. The sooner you understand Diddy Kong, the better.
Great advice. I agree. I need to more specific as to where I fail and where I succeed. I will be marking my progress on this thread and provide my questions, analysis, etc, here. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

houselobos

Smash Rookie
Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to see this is still active. Looking to get back into it starting this week. I will try your tips and keep you posted.

Top Bottom