• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP!!! I'm losing faith in Zelda......

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
I've been maining Zelda since Brawl was released. As soon as I used Din's Fire and hit with the Magic Slipper, I knew i was hooked. Zelda is still my main character to own with, and Ice Climbers are my secondary, but im slowly starting to fall behind with Zelda, i still use her all the time but i cannot win as much as i used to. I have a few good combos with her i can do consistently, i can get the slipper to work when i want/need.....but for some reason, friends i usually could be without a problem...i can't beat anymore. This is online im talking about, if that makes a difference.

Look, I DON'T WANT to stop using Zelda as my main, but what can i do to make her kick butt for me again. Im having trouble against Pika's, Metas, and Diddy's alot. Obviously the lucas/ness/GW trio give me trouble to....but i mean....are there some more advanced techniques i can use, any mind games....or should i just repractice dodging and sidestepping so i never get hit again, lol.

Please, anything would be appreciated. If you've been inthe same spot as me, tell me how you got over your slump. I love using Zelda...but i fear for the worst as i learn the IC's chaingrabs and alt throws....:urg:

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
same i noticed i dont win as much as i was when i first started playing zelda, but my friend said when i go to attack other then din's fire i start to lose it, he says wait back and play more Defense then its almost a spank fest.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
actually, now that you mention it....i have been way OVERLY aggressive lately...ive stopped playing defensively and capitalizing on my opponents screw ups. That's prolly whats going on now, i need to play more relaxed and await the proper moment to attack. no more rushing in for me :laugh:!!!

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
I have really fun with Zelda, and I'm more aggressive than I know I should. But I guess that I'd have to reconsider this stance if I were to go on a big losing streak or something... But as long as I win more than I lose (and play well), I'm happy. =)

Don't think I'm capable of playing defensive though. Absolutely not my style.

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
i would say zelda is more of a defensive player overall and shes better for def then off.... but yea what ever works for you go for it

S2

Smash Lord
In case you haven't read it yet

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158672

There is a section about strategy which might help. Plus Ness and G&W both have character specific strat sections.

For playing Zelda, you want to play defensive because her approaches suck. Also, don't go for the f/bair more than you need to. Meaning, unless you think its a sure thing, then don't. It's better use to punish mistakes than it is as an approach.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Your Zelda has probably become predictable, and your friends have adapted to your strategies. Pay attention during your matches and make sure you're not getting punished for the same thing over and over again, and if you are, switch it up.

S2

Smash Lord
ShortAssassin probably hit it on the head.

Play defensive but make sure you aren't simply using Smash attacks. You'll need to be able to use all of Zelda's tilts, neutrals, etc. as well if you want to survive. This is because they all have slightly different ranges, startup/cooldown speeds, and priority. This'll mess up an opponents timing and let you control the spacing and choose attacks based on your spacing.

Otherwise a good opponent will be able to read you like a book. And its relatively easy to punish Zelda for missing a smash. So if your going smash attack crazy, you're in for a beating against a good character.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Seems that many people nowadays are maining Zelda because of Din's Fire. It's most likely the predictability that's getting you.

hack-killer

Smash Cadet
i have noticed it's harder to fight on wi-fi with zelda. i think thats cause the one second lag

i agree with S2's comment, his first one. like the side kick move should
only be use if the person makes a mistake, and u might start being predictable
like if ur predictolness er watever id because u roll out the same way
when there close to u try like doing the doge *R+up stick* or if u use
D's fire like even if ur close to em try waiting in the back and using
it but when they come do the tilt smash ( u know what i mean?)
and don't forget that Nyru's love is a reflector so u can reflect the pika's
move. hope i was some help ^^

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
From what you've been saying, you're playing her aggressively. Zelda does not perform at her best with an aggressive play style.
She's a character that requires patience, and timing. You need to wait for your opponent to make a mistake that is when Zelda shines. Zelda is excellent at punishing poor mistakes.

Try playing defensively again.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
People are catching on to predictable Din's Fire and jump kicks.
Zelda has become really annoying, and I personally am one of the people who is always on guard when someone is playing Zelda.

PrinceLegend

Smash Rookie
well i went threw the same thing when i started maining zelda. i mained her in melee and did great cause u had to be offencive i was beating really god foxs falcos marths with ease no one caused me problems + if they did i had the overpowered shiek to back me. defensivily and lures are the way to go. and if u loose control u always have nair dsmash and nayruls to get u out of tight spots. one thing ive done to get out of problems. is to spam teleport or just teleport and stay in the same position they chase you and u didnt move so it gives u reaction time. remember to play zelda u gotta be smart and precies. so mix things up a bit and good luck.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
Stop being too predictable, your friend have probably caught on to your style. and its WIFI . wifi blows.
and winning online barely takes skill (i dont need to go into detail). online lag hinders skill. and for some reason zelda seems to be very laggy online n e way.

S2

Smash Lord
The number one rule about playing Zelda is watching out for predictability.

Because she doesn't have tons of approaches, its easy to get stuck doing the same things over and over. A good opponent is going to catch on and punish you rather quickly. Especially if your just abusing regular Zelda strats that they've seen before.

That's why so many good Zelda's tell you to use tilts. Because they have different timing, lag, and hitboxes - while still being really good moves.

A predictable Zelda = a dead Zelda

Top Bottom