• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help, having big issues with good wolf players

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
guy Wolf feels to me like has has no weaknesses besides having a not so great recovery, and even still, it's not THAT bad of a recovery. he can spam the fsmash and dsmash and even when its predictable they're just so fast, do so much dmg, and cover so much ground. also i think his fsmash trips sometimes, unsure about that but it sure seems that way. Is wolf a counterpick to Ness? what are the best ways to fight a pro wolf? his blaster can be absorbed, but eh, 5 dmg really? plus hes so close when using it not usually worth the effort. I spam fair and nair along w/ using fast grabs and try and incorporate pkt1 and 2 mindgames along w/ pk fire but really, its just such a hard matchup 4 me. feels like even Marth and toon link are way easier to play against. i've been using my secondary ddd against wolfs but i want to use Ness, any advice?

N355

Smash Apprentice
I too have trouble sometimes against wolf. The only thing I can say is when he uses fsmash do a dodgeroll to get behind him then attack him or maybe do a down grab to rack up damage

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Meh, I dun have much trouble now, but my really good friend mains Wolf, and its only a matter of time before he can whoop my arse. Help would be appreciated.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
well wolf cries when confronted with Ness' PKFire. If they spam their f-smash(which most do at this point), they will get pillared up the *** with nothing they can do about it. Blaster shots can usually be magnetized if you are spacing yourself well. It doesn't go too far either, so don't be afraid to abuse PKT from a distance and force him to approach you. Get him off the side, and he is one of the easiest characters for Ness to edgeguard. Keep him up with f-airs and b-airs, and if he gets too close to the stage then a baseballbat to the face is always a viable option. Wolf is spammy and annoying...but beatable.

Mushy

Smash Cadet
SPARKLE
any range A is absolute pwnage against a Wolf.
I would agree with the PKF statement, but use PKT a bit more because it won't be reflected back to YOU if Wolf catches on. Simna mindgames FTW.
No baseball bat, ever. Too slow. Perhaps if you're good enough to land an Ike Fsmash go ahead, but prepare to be punished severely.
Nair MORE. use it whenever you're close, whenever you're stuck in some ridiculous combo, etc. It will get you out of anything.
PKM whenever you're coming back onto the stage at a fair distance-most people today don't bother jumping out at thier target anymore. Oh yeah, do that too. (chasing that is.) jump, Nair, DJ, Nair, Nair, PKT2. Hope you get lucky while recovering with PKT2.

Levitas

the moon
I'm having difficulty as Ness/Lucas as well. I'm thinking the appropriate step may actually be to counterpick a different character.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
yea its really hard to approach wolf with ness even with ness's amazing approach game. What i think reall kill s ness is how fast wolfs air attacks come out. for example if you and wolf both do your back air at the same time wolf will kick you in the mouth.
also wolf can take advantage of ness's floaty gameplay and DI.

IM not quite sur ehow to effectively fight wolf cause its hard to do in the air because of wolfs air game. and its hard to approach on the round due to wolfs ridiculous smash attacks.

you need to make wolf approach you eithe ruse pkfire or pk thunder to do so but still be careful
when he gets close

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
My guess would be to try & keep Wolf from getting too close to you, until you can rack up enough damage with your projectiles, since Ness' are definitely superior to Wolf's ranged attacks. Eventually close in on him when you find the opporunity too. Sounds easier said than done, and is really general, but I haven't really studied Brawl yet, but I do play as Ness, and have mained him since the original, so I have some clue as to what I'm doing, but never really got into the truly competitive scene.

Though Wolf is definitely going to be High/Top Tier for sure, so a lot of characters have trouble with him. Just hope you don't have to play a good Wolfer that much.

By the way, what does DI stand for?

GodotAA

Smash Ace
Directional Influence

if you get hit to the left and push the control stick on the G cube controller to the right your momentumwill slow down.

the best use of ness's DI is in his foward air. its a basic ness approach just short hop foward and do a fair in the middle of the fair push back on ur control stick and space yourself.

thats all it is you probably already are doing it with out knowing.,

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wolf has a reflector. Therefore, long range PK Thunder = No.

I consider myself a n00b Wolf, and I find that forward B sweetspotted is really strong. Remember that Blaster has a blade on it. Wolf's dsmash is usually better than his fsmash. Nevertheless, both are devastating. Wolf gets no horizontal movement during his landfallspeciallag after his up B, sorta like Zelda in Melee.

Good luck ^_^

EDIT: Also, you can't DI your own fair.

Dee Em Gee

Smash Rookie
I mix up nair and uair when airborne, I see that it out prioritizes a lot of his moves. But on the ground I try to stick a little close and use dodges and ukemi's to create openings and use dsmash or ftilt into fsmash or pk fire

Levitas

the moon
Directional Influence

if you get hit to the left and push the control stick on the G cube controller to the right your momentumwill slow down.

the best use of ness's DI is in his foward air. its a basic ness approach just short hop foward and do a fair in the middle of the fair push back on ur control stick and space yourself.

thats all it is you probably already are doing it with out knowing.,
Actually you're using DI wrong. DI is a way to modify the trajectory that you get hit into when you're in hitstun. You're thinking of aerial control, the way that characters control movement in the air (without getting hit by the enemy).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I mix up nair and uair when airborne, I see that it out prioritizes a lot of his moves. But on the ground I try to stick a little close and use dodges and ukemi's to create openings and use dsmash or ftilt into fsmash or pk fire
What the hell is an Ukemi?

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
An Ukemi is a tech on the ground ;)

I don't have that much trouble with Wolf, and I've played like maybe 5 different people that use Wolf in their own special way.

Sparkles help a lot as someone said, but PK Fire really can trap a heavy Wolf and get hit lots of damage. Just shield his laser and learn to read your opponent's strategy when using them.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure you already know this, but grabs are your friend. Also, make sure to anticipate his recovery. He can move quite a long distance very rapidly, but there's always that little bit of hesitation as he charges before the rush. My Wolf opponent likes to use these moves not just for recovery, but for attack/approach as well, so when you see the charge, shield and capitalize with a grab. Yoyos also seem to work well for me. As I recall, he has pretty limited range on many of his attacks, especially his aerials, and your yoyos should be able to outrange him if timed right.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
yoyo, grab, pkt, pkt2, and psi mag if he decides to camp. Sheild spam too, his attacks have little range.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
ah cool, thanks 4 all the tips. ive incorporated them into my play and dont have nearly as much trouble. Its still an incredibly difficult fight but far from what it was a week or so ago. The best thing ive found is to just take advantage of all the short amount of time wolf is vulnerable (after fsmash, before an over b/ up b, etc.), use nesse's projectiles as unpredictably as possible, and abuse fair and nair. so, gl to ya all. i think someone should make a ness matchup thread. i Believe one is already in the works but i'd really like to read tips on what to do vs. all the characters. the other charcter thats givin me problems atm is not marth, but ike. ike's aaa stops god himself in his tracks and deals 16% to boot. but nobody needs to respond to 'wtf do i take on ike?' cause this was a 'wtf i take on wolf thread' :)

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever got hit so hard that you wildly bounced against all parts of the terrain in a hepless movement, leaving you open for an opponent's combos? Ukemi is when you press one of the sheild buttons at the exact moment you hit the ground. This absorbs your momentum, and lets you get back on your feet, ready to fight. It's very useful.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, using Ness against a skilled Wolf player can be tough. Yeah, all Wolf players will spam his fsmash and follow up with more a-button attacks to piss you off. What you have to do is dash away from him, skid in the opposite direction, then press <><><, and so on. This is called a dash dance. This will annoy him, so he will most likely come after you. At the right moment, turn to face him, and use a PK Fire (he can't reflect it, because since it curves downward when shot, reflecting it will shoot it into the ground). While he's trapped in the column of fire, hit him with your bat. Or, as you're running away from him, turn in the opposite direction to face him, and press the grab button. This will perform a pivot grab, which has a greater range than a regular grab. Basically, you want to get him airborne so that you can PK Flash him to his demise. He's fast, though, so easier said than done.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Urgghhh its just that Wolves are so campy. I cant approach them. How do I approach in shield anyways? I cant just roll there and sidestepping moves no where.

I cant even arially combo them since the fall so fast. They always get back to the ground.
GGs the other day BTW sage.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Lolno, I'm terrible online T_T. I'm much better offline. I think I'll upload a vid next weekend.

Top Bottom