• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Fast's Kirb

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzldS1_7sbQ&feature=channel_page

Well give tips and whatnot hes got a tourney tomorrow and needs advice. Remember he did only pick up Kirby a lil while ago so say obvious stuff that Kirbys should know if he isn't doing it.

He thanks you for the help. :bee::laugh::bee:
Id recommend working on his defense. His shielding and dodging is getting him killed. Also his aerial strats are getting him killed. Somethin isnt right there.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Not bad. Here's a few things i think you should work on.

Don't spam Kirbys Bair! Bair is extremely important, but you shouldn't just hop around and use Bair for every attack. Mix it up a little. Also, use Uair after you Fthrow them, not Fair, that way you can Gonzo them at low percentages.

I also think your dodging could use some work. What i like to do is dodge their attack, and then counter with a Utilt or Nair. Speaking of Nairs, you could make more of an effort to use it. Alot of kirby players dont really use it much, but it has been really usefull to me. I've based my moveset on my Nair.
Nair has virtually no lag, its quick, and most of the time it cant be dodged because the last frames of the attack will hit them after the dodge frames are over. You can also follow up a Nair quickly, because it has virtually no landing frames, and your opponent will still be right next to you even after the attack hits. I like to follow up my Nair with a Dtilt, if it trips them, follow up again with a Fsmash. If it doesn't, follow it up with a grab, jab, or another Dtilt if their percentage is low. Nair is also useful for people who like to dodgeroll. You start the Nair by moving forward, but quickly move back to hit them while they're dodgerolling to your opposite side. You then follow up with a Utilt, usually another Utilt, and then a Bair. Another followup for a Nair is to grab them. I usually Dthrow after this, then follow up with a Utilt, and try my reverse hammer on them.

This brings me to my most discussed topic. Mindgames. Ive said this countless times, but ill say it again. Stone is really usefull for edgeguarding your opponent. They usually think your going to spike or Bair them, so using stone will really get into their head. Most people will try to air dodge it the first time, if they do, then quickly transform back and follow up with a spike. If they don't air dodge it, and if you timed it just right, it will usually hit them, and send them flying to their doom. (This is of course if you did it while their percentage was high. I recommend not to use it unless they have a high %, because if they don't die, you'll be in a perfect position for them to spike you.) Be sure to transform back before you fall to your own doom, and don't panic when your down there, that's where Kirby's handy recovery comes in. In a serious match, i sometimes find myself either not transforming back on time, or panicking and using my ^B too soon. Make sure it doesn't happen to you.

Another great mindgame i like to use is to Dthrow, into a dashed reverse hammer. Your opponent will try to hit you from below, but miss because you dashed out of the way. You then use those landing frames to own them with you hammer. This technique can also be a combo finisher. Grab, jab, jab, Fthrow, Utilt, grab, jab, jab, Dthrow, Utilt, and then a dashed reversed hammer. Pretty hard to execute, but if you manage it, it will take a butt-load of %, plus you get that famous "I'm so awesome" feeling. :chuckle:

Here's another fact. If your opponent is serious, do not taunt! They wont care and usually punish you for it. If you do have to taunt, use his down taunt, its quick and can really get on their nerves :p.

Back to mindgames. Inhale is a great mindgame. They will usually run straight into it, when they do you can either swallow them, or spit them out. I like to spit them out, because then i can inhale them in all over again ^^. You can also grab out of the inhale. When they're in your mouth, walk forward and let them escape. They will end up right in front of you, and you can grab them from there. If your opponent is quick, i don't think it will work too often. In that case then I'd spit them out after inhaling them.

The aerial hammer is also a god for mindgames. You can start it off by moving forward, and then move backward for the second swing. Your opponent will think your going forward with the attack, so they'll dodgeroll or dash to your other side, only to be hit with the second swing.

You can also grab them, and pummel them to death. Keep pummeling them until they break free. Then follow up with a Fsmash. Usually works once or twice in a match, after that it gets predictable, so don't use it too often.

Overall you have a decent Kirby. Just work on your Nairs (Well you don't really have to, but i recommend it.), more Fairs, Utilts, and work on your Gonzo combo. Also, try to implement mindgames into your moveset. It's really helps.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
I liked the b-air spammage in the first game.
I'd really dislike grounded side-b.
On f-smash, the is a awesome move, but is should be used as a punishing move, landing lag, missed laggy attack of a whiffed grab are all good examples.
Less f-air, more u-air. More f-tilt (instead of side-b and f-smash). U-tilt is great too.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Here we go.

Wait.

You're a gold kirby.

Do you dare challenge me for rights to that costume?

You die now.

First game:

- Less fair out of throw, more uair. Try fthrow>uair>fthrow>uair>fsmash.

- No pummeling when you grab?

- Only 1 tilt?

Second Game:

- You have to be pretty good to use grounded hammer well. No offense, but you're not extremely skilled.

- If you wanna build damage, dthrow is your best bet.

- I wouldn't dsmash so much for kills. Fsmash is a better KO move in terms of knockback. Oh, and it doesn't have horrible ending lag.

- Against fastfallers and heavies, use fthrow>uair>fthrow>uair>fsmash at 0% (like for the first match).

- Only 1 tilt...again.

I'd write more, but 2 of the fingers on my left hand really hurt when I type (though fortunately, I don't use either of them to smash).

TheFast

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the help. Al1ion there was 3 tilts in the second mathc ^_^. Yah after I saw these videos I started tilting ALOT more. I cant seem to work Nair in that much.

Also I fair our of F-throw cuz this Yoshi Sexy Kicks me when ever I try to U-air. (It might be after the U-air, but either way I dont get the 2nd grab off and I get hit) I use U-air on all other characters. Any thoughts about this?

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Work on your range games, you're getting killed at the tip of your opponent's range. You need to either get in in in or be just outside of his range, and remember that he can move.

You go for too many big moves, mostly B moves, like your up-B and ground hammer, and oftentimes downsmash. Guaranteed is fine, but out of nowheres is just high risk low reward. Also work on being slippery with your recovery and using your air control in general.

For tournament tomorrow just focus on avoiding hits. Against many players, in close, just jumping up and down and landing on them with a safe attack is a good strat.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
If hes Nairing you when you attempt the gonzo combo, mix it up by shielding said nair and grabbing/fsmashing him out of the ending lag. or charge your fsmash so he whiffs his couner attack and unload on him.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Don't do this again, check the stickys in the Kirby character forum. But it's okay all new guys do this.;) BTW nice matches.
There is no rules about making threads like this. It relates to the topics of kirby and it isnt spam. I wish you guys would stop pmsing about this. And no, there are no stickies about this. Just a thread that hardly gets updated. >.>

TheFast

Smash Lord
If hes Nairing you when you attempt the gonzo combo, mix it up by shielding said nair and grabbing/fsmashing him out of the ending lag. or charge your fsmash so he whiffs his couner attack and unload on him.
No he nairs me when i do F-throw->U-air->grab
but not when i do F-throw-> Fair-> grab
I use F-throw->U-air->Grab on any charcter besides yoshi and it works fine. Can some1 look into this. See if its Yoshi or me? I mean even if it does work on him from Zero % maybe he can start punishing you for it earlyer than other characters.

Also The tourney was a while ago >_> I played well. I spammed F-smash at times but it was on purpose ^_^ But yah I was forced to start using tilts and being more carefull with my up-b. I did well for my 1st tourney with kirby. Remember I did just pick this character up.

I will try to get an updated video sometime so you can see the change and tell me what im still doing wrong.

Top Bottom