• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help/critique 56K's Samus!

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the helpful advice!
More shield and up+b out of shield, less trying to get a dair in, instead, wait back and wait for them to attack, cc into dtilts more against fox, don't be afraid to fsmash or utilt fox's recoveries,

and

where's the fsmash?

oh and never actually try and go for the down-below recovery on FoD - if you feel you need more practice for it, go and do that, but otherwise... it's never really a good thing...

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
rising grapple for the recovery on fod? interesting. overall, it seems like you've got a good read on what your opponents are doing and reacting accordingly, pretty much all you need for samus. i dunno what to say, im sure that as with any character, but especially with samus, more experience is gunna get you a long way.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
oh and never actually try and go for the down-below recovery on FoD - if you feel you need more practice for it, go and do that, but otherwise... it's never really a good thing...
You're right, I do it too often...in tourney matches I only go for it as a last resort though.

Wow I noticed that I was screwing around a bit too much in those matches...maybe Samus is too fun or something lol. Even though they're friendlies...still goofed around too much.

More reason for my idea to be put in place...
What idea? :confused:

Corigames

Smash Hero
Review of 56k

Video 1:

Ok, first thing's first, you need to work on your spacing. The moves that are making contact are looking good, but some of them you are just out of reach. I know that keeping your distance is good, but getting punished for a miss is a lot worse than not getting that sweet spot! Get a bit more comfortable with the distance and timing of her attacks so that you won't get hit for doing moves as often.

Next is your edge guarding, where is it? You seem to be allowing him to get back on. I'm not sure if that is part of your plan or not, but from here it looked sloppy. A good tool I use against fox is the up tilt. It's fast enough that as soon as you hear the *DING* of illusion, you hit it and he'll get hit or you can use it to break him out of fire fox. Plus, there's nothing wrong with a good ol' ledge grab to throw them off.

Stop attempting so many grabs. You took a lot of damage in grab attempts and ultimately lost to it on the last life. Also, I don't know what was with the weird use of the grapple on the third, which lead to you dieing seconds later. You seem to have a lot of problems with shine, and that's understandable. What you need to do is mix up your recovery a bit, because you were pretty predictable. You have a lot to work with since she's floaty, so don't be scared to spend a little bit more time out there if it means avoiding another shine.

Video 2:

Teching, it is good. I don't know if you were just not doing good, but the 0 to death wasn't a good match starter :p. As you painfully already know, Doc's cape can get you from below the stage. DON'T GO FOR THE SWEET SPOT AGAINST HIM! You should try for above it, that way the cape will send you over him.

I think your lack of tilts is really hurting you in this match-up. Remember that, compared to you, Doc is a ****** with short arms and stubby legs. You are tall with long, beautiful, legs. USE EM'!

You need to mix up the evasion a bit. He was able to read you well enough to land a bunch of Fairs on you. Not good considering the slowness and strength of the attack. The rolling on occasion isn't helping.

Also, if a move doesn't hit the first time, you don't have to keep doing it until it hits, if they evade it the first 2 times, I would guess they'll do it the third as well. Once again, mix it up! One good thing to do is to WD in, attack, WD out. That way, you get in range, do what you need to, and then slip out of range of doc. At least, it works for me.

Video 3:

Your DI was a bit off at the start of that at least. I bet you would have lived longer had you gone up off that f smash. Not sure if that's a "work on" thing, it just look like you were calling the DI wrong.

Pika is really hounding you with those aerials. I suggest that you Nair when ever possible, because that should break his relentless assault on your face. Also, a good spam from a distance might throw him off a bit. A mixture of power and homing missiles could throw his game off.

You don't always have to use your mid-air to recover control, because the bombs pull you out of tumble. Use the bombs to start jumping back so that you can decide whether you want to come in high or low, instead of waiting until the last second and being forced to choose low. Also, you are playing right into his edge guard. Every time he F smashes, you jump into. You don't always have to get up from the edge; you could drop off and grab back on if need be. Wait and see what he's doing. If he's anything like I've been watching, he'll do that move every time, and you can call it.

Video 3b (4):

I have no solid clue what you did or why you did what you did on that first stock... just don't do it again.

Why didn't you grapple on that last stock before you died?

Aside from that... same as 3a for everything.

Overall, I think that you need a bit of work, mostly on your ability to mix things up. You seem to have a set order or plan as to how things go down, and you are getting smacked hard every time a portion of it goes wrong. The recovery, the edge gaurding, the spacing, and the use of moves needs to all be improved.

One thing I would like to note is that there was an overwhelming lack of bombs used during attack phases of the game. I'm a bomb *****, so this might be biased, but I think that you can play Samus a lot more securely if you can maneuver off of and correctly use bombs. No, this doesn't mean learn SWD or something. You can do that if you want, but that's not what I am suggesting.

Some specific things to work on would be some new mind games, edge guarding, and spacing. Once you get those things down a bit more, I'd like to see some more videos.

6/10

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'd love to help out a fellow gameFAQer :).

Video 1:

Hmmm you started off..not well. Too agressive, especially when you are fighting a fox, unless he is laser spamming then let him come to you. CC more and one thing I have noticed already is that you need to wavedash backwards more. Use Ftilt to space yourself well and shield more so that you can get some up B out of sheilds. When you were edgehogging the fox in the first 30 seconds you ledgehopped a dair. It's generally smarter to ledgehop a sex kick instead. It has more priority, comes out fast, and will probably spike them into the stage. The dair doesn't have much range and is easy to meteor cancel.

I liked the uncharged shot to stop his illusion.

Eh...you used ftilt >_>...that's not a bad idea really but utilt has more priority and is better to edgeguard with.

When fox is on a platform like that under you, wavedash off fast, lightsheild, or drop through with a sex kick or bair depending on where he is. Don't stand there..dsmashing like peach works sometimes though.

Doing standing grabs against fox is a badddd bad bad idea. Dash grab.

The main thing I noticed about your samus in the match was that you didn't make use of your range properly. You didn't space yourself well, you didn't use any bombs on the stage(which can be useful vs fast fallers), you didn't ledgedash into a quick attack enough and you didn't shield enough.

Work on those things.

Match 2:

1st stock, wow. I haven't watched the rest yet but ftilt wrecks doc. It can knock him out of all of his air attacks if angled. Space better!!!!!!

Dair? Ew Ew Ew. You don't need to jump off after doc!!! Just stand there and angle a ftilt or uptilt or even fsmash!!!

Holy crap, stop going off the edge to edgeguard doc!!!! XD.

3 TIMES!!! STOP! XD. No more jumping off!

Your fair to up b from the ledge was slow.

Again, stop dairing like that...sex kick!

Ok, you played this match wrong in almost every way. Use ftilt and utilt way more. Try wavedashing back into an utilt or ftilt...it works wonders against doc. Use missles way more, and if he capes them then follow your missles and jump over them and FF a dair onto doc. Use the platforms more!!! Way more!!! Doc isn't great in the priority department compared to samus so try jumping up and wavelaning off a platform then FFing any move but dair depending on where doc is..nair is usually the best option. Sex kick out of sheild also works great...and you still need to shield more. Wavedash out of shield and abuse docs poor range.

Match 3:

Try ledgedashing more, you fair from the edge too much.

I'll assume the usmash was a mistake >_>.

There you go with dair again XD. Sex kick!

You always want to save your jump vs pika. He can spike you and if you don't have your jump...then it's nasty.

Uair after dtilt >_>...

You are way to predictable when you are on the edge...you always ledgehop >_>...Try ledgedashing into your shield or something.

YAY! LEDGEDASHES! I told you it would work ;).

You did a lot better this match, you used your range more..but you were still a little predictable. Again, you need to shield more, alot of times you just kinda let pika hit you without making any real effort to stop him...

I don't have time for the last video but I hope I helped.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I usually never dair edgeguard in matches, but I was trying out something new...crap there I go Johning again. >.<

I definitely wasn't at my best in these matches, but I'm glad these got recorded because they show everything I do wrong.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You should try for above it, that way the cape will send you over him.
Very true. You should also be ready to DI when you land because a good Doc will charge a pivoted Fsmash right where you're going to land. Hell, even bad docs do this. Up and towards the hit, as per usual.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Very true. You should also be ready to DI when you land because a good Doc will charge a pivoted Fsmash right where you're going to land. Hell, even bad docs do this. Up and towards the hit, as per usual.
I hardly ever DI the right way. I think, 'Is there ground beneath me? Yes? Then I'll DI down and Tech so I don't fly away. Am I off the ground? Yes? Then I'll DI up or away from the line of trajectory like you are suppose to.' Evidentally, the'ts not the best idea for every situation. :p

3Years

Smash Lord
try up b'ing out of your shield more and also utilt is very useful and i would recommend not using the fair 2 much...try wavelanding 2 keeps your distance from doc and samus is the best character on using platforms(imo) so use em 2 your mindgames and show that doc who spams better by DJCPMC'ing... let us no how our advice works out 4 u by updating on some more vids

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
In short review...

Work on spacing
Less D-airs
Less dash attacks

Otherwise your Samus is doing fairly well! :)

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lols would've had more vids but I was too broke to attend a tourney on Saturday ~_~

Hopefully I can get some vids of when I am at my best.

AIDS

Smash Lord
lol i only watched the vs fox match cause thats a match im very familour with-_-....... spaming Fair is not good! you must learn what to do at what time, also a lot less Dairs, to laggy, that fox was not the smartest either he should do more drill shine up smash, up throw up air, falling up air, etc, but you have some good samus qualitys lol CC downsmash is good! lmao but yeah true to seek help from profesional samus's in your local area, also D tilt is not the best idea haha

plus you really need to work on your edge guarding!

keep trying kid, over all not that bad

Mars-

Smash Champion
also a lot less Dairs, to laggy,
LOL
also D tilt is not the best idea haha
LOL
keep trying kid, over all not that bad
LOL

Anyway, I'll critique the fox video.

You dropped through the platform once, right on his up smash! I know you tried a sexkick or something(couldn't really tell, and I'm not going to watch it multiple times to figure out), but at least throw in some mindgames like a double jump, then he will up smash, then you dair him into some combos.

Also, I know it's a tough habit to break, but only grab when they shield camp, otherwise just up tilt them when they try arial approaching you.

AIDS

Smash Lord
"dair is more laggy"

ROFL, I am seriously rolling on the floor laughing.
so if you are at 70% and if you Nair or Dair, both will save you from a fox up throw up air? i supose if you dont like the term lag, then the hit box does not apear for more frames, so your telling me its good to challenge atacks with Dair, lol im very sure you must be correct, i should retire in smash.

Mars-

Smash Champion
so if you are at 70% and if you Nair or Dair, both will save you from a fox up throw up air? i supose if you dont like the term lag, then the hit box does not apear for more frames, so your telling me its good to challenge atacks with Dair, lol im very sure you must be correct, i should retire in smash.
Well at 70% good DI should get you out of up throw up air combos.

And using slower attacks is a form of mindgames. Think of it this way, you drop on your opponent with an attack. They shield and expect the attack to come out quickly and then jump out of their shield after they expect you to hit, but instead, your hitbox comes out later. So basically, your throwing off their timing. It’s a form of being unpredictable which higher level players use.

I’ll give you an example. There was a video of pc chris playing fox a while ago that I watched. Both players were sitting in their shields right next to each other. Now if it was me, I would have grabbed. Instead of that, pc chris chooses a slower option of doing a drill shine out of his shield.

I’m sorry if I confused you a bit earlier, I thought you meant lag, which is usually implying after the attack, not before the hitbox.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Well at 70% good DI should get you out of up throw up air combos.

And using slower attacks is a form of mindgames. Think of it this way, you drop on your opponent with an attack. They shield and expect the attack to come out quickly and then jump out of their shield after they expect you to hit, but instead, your hitbox comes out later. So basically, your throwing off their timing. It’s a form of being unpredictable which higher level players use.

I’ll give you an example. There was a video of pc chris playing fox a while ago that I watched. Both players were sitting in their shields right next to each other. Now if it was me, I would have grabbed. Instead of that, pc chris chooses a slower option of doing a drill shine out of his shield.

I’m sorry if I confused you a bit earlier, I thought you meant lag, which is usually implying after the attack, not before the hitbox.
yes, i understand what you are saying, but in the video i saw when they where out of jumps, high % and struggling to come to the ground to gain some controll, would you sugest Dair in that case? you are right of using it as a mind game though, one thing that works well with fox on all players is aproach there sheild, with an empty short hop, and Up smash when you land, i belive this is a pretty good example as well.

but if you always use Dair, its more predictable and less of a mind game.

Top Bottom