• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Against Yoshi

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i used to have problems with a Yoshi. He's really good, but after a few weeks, i learned how to play him
Yoshi's attacks have almost no lag, so don't try to shield grab
if you shield one of his attack, for example his dair, try to punish with a dsmash, because they can spotdodge immediatly after they touch the ground.
stop his B move with PK Fire. As for every match up, use PK Fire and Ftilt for spacing
PK Thunder will stop his second jump after 80%
a technique a like to use, is to use a PK Freeze when his recovering, but i don't keep pressing B, so the PK Freeze will explote soon, that way, he'll dodge wrong and punish with a Fsmash
Usmash his down B

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
because my friend (Kofii) right next to me is a yoshi player who is cool with claus (not LUCAS!!!), he has agreed to help you out.

Kofii:The thing that gives me a lot of trouble with Lucas is two things that he has over Yoshi, range and power.One thing that really gets me is that when I'm trying to recover and I don't have my tap jump on I will do the same predictable recovery: Double Jump Air dodge (DJAD) to Egg Toss. Usually I only need DJAD to recover, but if you position yourself just right, you can easily kill me with your up smash, just as I land, with that serious range of yours. Another thing is that I seem to underestimate the stick's range and power, so use that to your advantage. The last thing is to master the the PK thunder hit as an offensive move and incorporate it into your play style. Although this user hasn't mastered it, I can asure you that most characters in general will have problems with that as it is your ace.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for that chain grab. Bwett almost killed me with it when we played on Delfino.
Great time to learn that Yoshi HAS a chain grab. -_-
Walk off stages (or parts of stages) are something to be wary of.

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice
lol, yoshi sucks
Another extremely thought-provoking and insightful post by Bowyer! He takes the world cup!

Anyways, I just read that Yoshi has a chain grab against Lucas that leads into a somewhat recoverable spike. The matchup section of Aevin's guide doesn't have information for Yoshi, so I don't know if Ness is more suitable than Lucas against Yoshi. What would you guys say? (This is primarily targetted and players of both Ness and Lucas.)

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Another extremely thought-provoking and insightful post by Bowyer! He takes the world cup!

Anyways, I just read that Yoshi has a chain grab against Lucas that leads into a somewhat recoverable spike. The matchup section of Aevin's guide doesn't have information for Yoshi, so I don't know if Ness is more suitable than Lucas against Yoshi. What would you guys say? (This is primarily targetted and players of both Ness and Lucas.)
The fact that Yoshi seems to be finding new stuff every other week is why I'm saving him as one of the last matchups in the weekly discussion.

Though I will say the spike is annoying, but not that high of a threat.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow. I was not aware that this lead into a spike. It only got used against me on a walk off and _almost_ on Corneria. So, the chaingrab is a concern on pretty much any level that has either a walk off or no water (lol pirate ship).

And I don't play Ness, so I can't really provide any insight as to which one is more suitable. Sorry.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
The release grab to fair spike doesn't work against Lucas, although release to dair is still unavoidable.
Also, a grounded downB will pop Lucas into the air, where he obviously can't usmash, then land the normal hit. It's one of the better ways to get a KO at higher percents.
Anyway, I like Lucas, so here's my input:

PKF spams keep Yoshi at bay, but he outspams you because your projectile is just too short and Magnet doesn't absorb eggs. Eventually you'll have to approach, which is pretty difficult since pivots (which leads to chaingrabs) will stop your ground options and fair, and usmash will stop dair. One thing that seems to work is to short hop PKFs once you get close enough, then chase them into an attack.
In the air, you and Yoshi pretty much go even. Try to catch him when he's facing you, so that you don't get caught in his bair. Your dair beats his uair, so that gets rid of one of his easier KO options. You can also grab him out of his fsmash, so there's another KO option gone. Basically, Yoshi will be depending on downBs and nairs (and the occasional dsmash) to knock you offstage.
Yoshi's DJADing pretty much nullifies Lucas' edgeguarding options, although if you see it coming you can punish with a usmash. I would suggest just harassing with PKT as he recovers. Lucas can't really deal with edge canceled eggs, so run away if Yoshi is on the ledge. Expect an egg spam when you're trying to recover. The constant projectiles make it pretty difficult for you to use PKT2, since you essentially stand still in midair.

That's all I have, I guess.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
The release grab to fair spike doesn't work against Lucas, although release to dair is still unavoidable.
Also, a grounded downB will pop Lucas into the air, where he obviously can't usmash, then land the normal hit. It's one of the better ways to get a KO at higher percents.
Anyway, I like Lucas, so here's my input:

PKF spams keep Yoshi at bay, but he outspams you because your projectile is just too short and Magnet doesn't absorb eggs. Eventually you'll have to approach, which is pretty difficult since pivots (which leads to chaingrabs) will stop your ground options and fair, and usmash will stop dair. One thing that seems to work is to short hop PKFs once you get close enough, then chase them into an attack.
In the air, you and Yoshi pretty much go even. Try to catch him when he's facing you, so that you don't get caught in his bair. Your dair beats his uair, so that gets rid of one of his easier KO options. You can also grab him out of his fsmash, so there's another KO option gone. Basically, Yoshi will be depending on downBs and nairs (and the occasional dsmash) to knock you offstage.
Yoshi's DJADing pretty much nullifies Lucas' edgeguarding options, although if you see it coming you can punish with a usmash. I would suggest just harassing with PKT as he recovers. Lucas can't really deal with edge canceled eggs, so run away if Yoshi is on the ledge. Expect an egg spam when you're trying to recover. The constant projectiles make it pretty difficult for you to use PKT2, since you essentially stand still in midair.

That's all I have, I guess.
you are a yoshi player, right? why do you use that pivot grab? what's the different between yoshi's and lucas' pivot grab? should lucas player use pivot grab the same way yoshi players do?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I would recommend pivot grabs over standing grabs, yes. It's not really as big of an issue with Lucas as it is with Yoshi, since Lucas's standing grab comes out less than five years after you press the button, but who wouldn't want moves to come out faster and be less punishable when they miss?
It might take you a little while to get used to the grab speed if you usually do standing grabs, though.

Trozz

Smash Ace
Lucas's d-smash gets bigger the longer you charge it? Does the hitbox become a lot larger? I haven't really noticed.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
don't try to grab yoshi. don't try to gimp a good yoshi's recovery cuz a good yoshi uses his eggs before his second jump. don't try to attack him while he is doing his ledge-eggs or whatever they're called (it'll drive you nuts). actually, there are two different ways yoshi can do his ledge-eggs. in one method he uses his second jump and if he is stupid you can kill him with a simple dtilt. if he does it the efficient way, try pkfreeze or pk thunder and stay out of range. Dragonic reverse is omfg crazy if yoshi gets good at it you are ****ed. his chain grab will piss you off. he can lock you against a wall with his jab. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOSHI. abuse wb pk fire, fast fall more than usual, pkt mindgames to the best of your abilities. fh dair ***** yoshi (in my experience), almost all his attacks outprioritize nair, so don't abuse it. sh fair is good. if he likes to pound use usmash or utilt. watch out for his bair. watch out for chicken yoshis that run away to throw eggs or pivot grab you. most of the time avoid going for the dunk cuz it won't phase him and he can easily retaliate. my bro mains yoshi so i have quite a bit of experience. i am not the best lucas in the world (but i am pretty close ;)) so some of you may be able to find ways around some problems i mentioned. i'd say the best way to get good against yoshi is lots of practice.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Whats the deal on Yoshi lately?
He seems to have gotten more popular all of a sudden
I see him more online now
Has the Yoshi mains discovered something cool with him??
I used to main Yoshi in Super Smash Bros. 64
Brings back memories...lol
I might have to add Yoshi to my list of mains if something big is happening with him

Trozz

Smash Ace
Apparently, Yoshi can combo Snake and Wario to death. He is also a decent matchup for MK who people are submitting to as god tier.

Top Bottom