• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against snake

zamora

Smash Cadet
hey tru<-----jimisamas friend (tall azn kid with **** stash and glasses lawl)

im wanting to know this as well, looking at how some advanced snake players move around the stage with the snakeslide, c-4s all the time, and dropping grenades all the time,

it just seems near impossible unless they screw up on controlling the field somehow, even shield cancelling your dash wont work, from the way ive seen in lambchops videos he would drop a nade right below him, wait and shield the damage

maybe the spacing on snake just needs to be more precise and faster than with most character match ups

and i heard everyone got ***** by DK in SoFla over the weekend haha

R.Kefka

Smash Cadet
Grabbing works really well against Snake because a lot of his strategy revolves around his shield.

Shield drops to up tilt, down tilt, forward tilt combo, jab combo... it's all very dangerous for MK since he's so light. If you grab frequently, the Snake will be less inclined to do this.

Also, you can beat grenade drops using dash grabs; if you wait, you'll slide past the grenade and if you forward throw, you won't detonate it. You also want to use a lot of grab attacks to refresh your KO moves--provided you don't detonate a grenade by doing them.

Catching grenades can let you turn the tables on Snake and gain control of the field as well. If you make him afraid of his own projectiles.

Stay away from Snake if you're above him or behind him; you never, ever want to trade with his up-air or back-air.

Up+b breaks through the no-flinch frames on Snake's up+b--at least from what I've seen. With that and grabbing his cypher, you can edgeguard him really well.

Be very careful about approaching Snake when he's in the air if he has a grenade. If it detonates from your hit (and it probably will) you'll trade and Snake will win almost every trade. Unless you're already ahead by two stock or something, in which case you don't need any advice.

Never trade with Snake, and try to never let him back on the level. If he falls off, he needs to die.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
I've been getting knocked out of tourneys cuz of snake, how can i beat snake?? whats the best way to play against him?
You will never beat Snake.

Joe I've told you a number of times to pay attention. Pay attention to mines on the field at all times. Be as patient as a Snake player. Don't try to run through mines or grenades. Don't pick up grenades, cause Snake will strip them from you, plus you'll be flirting with the timer depending on how long it's been cooked.

Mind game and bait Snake into vulnerable positions. If you constantly do consecutive attacks in the air a Snake player will pull out a grenade almost in the middle of the attack everytime to disrupt you.

Watch out with the constant up B as an edgeguard, because if a nikita gets between you and the ledge it'll be a crazy spike.

Avoid spamming the tornado seeing as how a grenade will tear you up. Also keep Snake in the air, but be smart about it kid. Don't constantly attack. Bait them into pulling out a grenade.

Pay attention to mines and dont flirt with grenades. I will give you some practice this week before Gigs, don't stress about it. I got you son!

unixphone

Smash Rookie
Be honest, the best way to beat snake is you semi main snake. If you use snake enough, you actually see him moves coming. For instance, sticking C4 on players, the timing is so precise that it is obvious for knowledgeable snake players to see it coming. Snakes also have limited ways recovering to stage using up B move. Sure, we can use C4 or even use nikita to protect us recovering to stage, but C4 is very predictable and nikita has delay. Of course, as .D0c mentioned don't bother to catch grenade. A.) we time it already. B.) even you caught a grenade that still have 2 secs, the first grenade automatic drops on the floor once the snake player pull out the second grenade.
No need fancy move, and use you sword wisely and patiently.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Be honest, the best way to beat snake is you semi main snake. If you use snake enough, you actually see him moves coming. For instance, sticking C4 on players, the timing is so precise that it is obvious for knowledgeable snake players to see it coming. Snakes also have limited ways recovering to stage using up B move. Sure, we can use C4 or even use nikita to protect us recovering to stage, but C4 is very predictable and nikita has delay. Of course, as .D0c mentioned don't bother to catch grenade. A.) we time it already. B.) even you caught a grenade that still have 2 secs, the first grenade automatic drops on the floor once the snake player pull out the second grenade.
No need fancy move, and use you sword wisely and patiently.
So true and this really does apply to all characters so I strongly recommend maining random until you know how to play most of the characters well. Knowing your opponents ups, downs, limitations, and timing can help you formulate anti- Snake plans. I always beat my rival in serious matches because I know the character he uses (Rob, T. Link, Olimar) even though I'm not as good with as my rival is I learned enough about their recoveries (essential to Meta Knight's edge game) their attack speed (essential to calculate and balance an attack's priority and strength, and weight since as a Meta Knight you must strongly consider how far it is necessary to push back a foe so you know they can recover.

In fact Snake said it himself that it is important to gather info on your opponent.

But for me to further evaluate you must tell more of your problems in detail since "getting knocked out of tourneys" honestly does not tell me a whole lot.
I promise to give a good assistance like when the guy asked me for help against his friend's Lucario in the Meta Knight: Behind the Mask thread

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys. I'm picking up Meta and I'm having trouble against Snake's f-tilt and n-air. The f-tilt is the biggest problem for me when he's properly spaced away. He will often f-tilt twice and the second will seem to always beat out anything I do; and I'd like to attack back or punish it. Any tips appreciated.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Snake kills MK at 90% with his uptilt, and it also has a range similar to Ike's forward smash but it's much faster. It might be MK's worst match up. Grabs may beat shields, but Snake can also roll and sidestep while dropping grenades. As others have said, Snake can make players drop grenades, so trying to throw them back is worthless(even if you throw it quickly, he can make grenades thrown at him drop in mid air).
I am just a Snake main, and I always beat MK, so I can't really give tips on how to beat him, I just can say what I do to MK's.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
As a start, I have found out hitting a grenade-holding Snake with UP+B Shuttleloop causes him to take the hit, the grenade damage, and you get away without a scratch. This isn't a terrible option, either; because it has post-use mixups.

unixphone

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys. I'm picking up Meta and I'm having trouble against Snake's f-tilt and n-air. The f-tilt is the biggest problem for me when he's properly spaced away. He will often f-tilt twice and the second will seem to always beat out anything I do; and I'd like to attack back or punish it. Any tips appreciated.
I only started using meta knight a week so there should be better methods:

f-**** and u-****: sorry, nothing much you can do about that. I manage attack few times by keeping some distance and use down B teleport (attack him from the back). I also hit a jump a lot.

n-air: keep in mind that snake neutral air is a powerful kick combos, but with some drawbacks. It last too long, which means it is not a good attack when he is far off stage. Also, it leaves back and bottom open up. *Snake F air is slow to start which means he won't use f air for a fast attack. Feel free keep GOOD distance avoid snake nair and use your fair to attack him after he completed his nair.

Snake is a slow character with fast attack. Try to use your jump more and pressure snake open more spaces for you to attack. Since snake is a heavy character, you might be able to do a few chain grab. Once you able to knock snake far off the stage, it is not as difficult to deal with. I am not sure am i using tornado correctly; I use it when a "nervous" snake player shield block even before I attack, and I do not want to face his f-****...

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
What you've posted, unixphone, might hold true in many situations; but Snake's grenade counter nullifies nearly all strats.

unixphone

Smash Rookie
True, and your point is well taken. I admit even myself use grenade counter, and it does work....

Hopefully, I will be knowledgeable enough to edit this post in the future. I am not sure will this work because I was only able to do it once. I kept distance close to Snake, and attack him once he pulled out the grenade. The grenade dropped out of his hand and I was able to catch the grenade before it exploded.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Hmm, you could try just running away from him. Snake's offense sucks.

Best strategy vs. him is to just get him in the air where you can **** his face off. You completely destroy his air game, so it's just a matter of getting him there and killing him. Grenades are annoying, but C4 can easily be reacted to if you hear him say "NOW!", as well as mines being destructable in a multitude of safe ways.

Your biggest threat is his jab, f.tilt, and u.tilt. u.tilt can be avoided by not approaching from above him. f,tilt is punishable on shield so try to grab him as fast as possible after you block it. You out range his jabs, so d.tilt those if you know they're coming.

Jump up and tornado down to him to avoid grenades on the ground. It's a decent approach, then you can start to pressure him. Once you get him in the air, don't let up. It's the only way to kill him.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
Furthermore, it seems like 'max distance' running attack, DTilt, a single strike of FTilt, and 'max distance' DAir are the only fairly easily executable moves Meta has to 'safely' attack a Snake that is 'grenade countering' (holding a grenade in his hands, hoping you blow it up by attack). All these attacks will hit him and cause him to drop the nade but not explode it.

By max distance, I mean from as far away as possible. So for the running attack you want the last couple hit detection frames to actually hit Snake, and for DAir you want to be high enough over him your attack doesn't extend down into the hitbox of his grenade. You don't need to fear his UTilt at this point because he can't do it while holding a nade.

After these options you will notice further options will present themselves.

Top Bottom