• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against Paletuna.

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
There's probably already a thread about this but I couldn't find it. So since Ultimate came out I've struggled against Paletuna big time. I just get destroyed every time. For example, yesterday I played against one of my friend and for 2 hour straight i just three stocked him. I was unstoppable but once he took Paletuna, which btw he had never played, he actually whooped me.

So yeah do you guys got any tip for me so my weak asss can actually beat once in while Paletuna?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Use Isabelle - her fishing rod is OP against this character. She takes the bait every time.

paletuna.jpg

On a real note though, the Paletuna boards maybe able to help you. Also would help to know what character you are trying to use. And depending on that character (and the activity on their board) I'd probably recommend asking them too.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
What Character did you play? What did he play before paluntena. With what attacks do you struggle especially against her ?

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
My main is little mac, before he played a **** ton a different character. I think it's the big fire ball that catch me off guard every time.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Okay, that may be the reason. I think little mac is pretty hard to play good. you need to put so much more effort into him to get to the same level of skill.

He is fast and can kill you very fast if you make to many mistakes (3-4 smashes usually kill 100% of the time). that may be one of the reasons you won so much (assuming your skill isnt tournament level).

If you want to keep maining him my suggestion is very simple: stay close whenever possible. Side B has a minimal range that it cant go under. So to avoid it you need to be near her. Also being close is his only option to win. Use his speed to your advantage. Shield, walk and roll while staying close (to avoid b and side b). Wait for her to commit and then punish or use a grab if your opponent shields too much and doesnt attack. thats basically everything little mac can do to win: being relatively close.

hope this helps a little bit.

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
Okay, that may be the reason. I think little mac is pretty hard to play good. you need to put so much more effort into him to get to the same level of skill.

He is fast and can kill you very fast if you make to many mistakes (3-4 smashes usually kill 100% of the time). that may be one of the reasons you won so much (assuming your skill isnt tournament level).

If you want to keep maining him my suggestion is very simple: stay close whenever possible. Side B has a minimal range that it cant go under. So to avoid it you need to be near her. Also being close is his only option to win. Use his speed to your advantage. Shield, walk and roll while staying close (to avoid b and side b). Wait for her to commit and then punish or use a grab if your opponent shields too much and doesnt attack. thats basically everything little mac can do to win: being relatively close.

hope this helps a little bit.
Alright thanks i’ll take that in note! I mean i’m elite smash with lil mac so I dont think i’m that bad with but I sure have a hard time beating that Paletuna

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
I beat a palutena using Falcon priority. The palutena was way better then my Falcon but because falcon has so many strong punishes any mistakes I caught her on were way worse then any mistakes she caught me on.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
If you’re playing Little Mac he’s gonna wanna keep you far away as Palutena. Mix up your approaches and bait the projectiles and then shield them. Short hop in on one approach, dash dance on one approach, just stand there on one. Unfortunately as Little Mac you can’t force Palutena to approach so you’ll have to be creative on the way you approach and try to tilt them. Once you get in on Palutena with Little Mac you shouldn’t have any trouble but the battle is stacked in her favor and you’re gonna have to work really hard and play mind games to get in

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My main is little mac, before he played a **** ton a different character. I think it's the big fire ball that catch me off guard every time.
Believe it or not, Little Mac needs to be played as a campy character to have reasonable success. Your smashes beat out nearly everything in the game due to super armor so no one will want to risk going all out against you. They will camp out and wait for you to mess up, then try to throw you offstage ASAP. Good projectiles are miserable for Mac. I can imagine explosive flame making things hard to approach. However it's also predictable af. You can usually shield or jump over the whole thing if you're playing on a stage with platforms.

The best Little Mac players I've seen have to take it extremely slow (despite him being a faster character), be very careful with their spacing, shield, and parry game, and basically never approach unless something is guaranteed or they have advantage.

I've said it before, but I don't know how anyone has fun playing him if they just want to win singles games. He cleans house in FFAs but 1v1 seems like it would just drag.

LIL ELF

Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
What strategy is this Palutena player using?
It's not just this Palutena is the character in a whole. Like I'm having a hard time beating any Palutena.
If you’re playing Little Mac he’s gonna wanna keep you far away as Palutena. Mix up your approaches and bait the projectiles and then shield them. Short hop in on one approach, dash dance on one approach, just stand there on one. Unfortunately as Little Mac you can’t force Palutena to approach so you’ll have to be creative on the way you approach and try to tilt them. Once you get in on Palutena with Little Mac you shouldn’t have any trouble but the battle is stacked in her favor and you’re gonna have to work really hard and play mind games to get in
I feel that with her projectile she just ruin all my tempo and I'm having a hard time just to get close to her and when I do she just get me in an areal neutral combo.

Believe it or not, Little Mac needs to be played as a campy character to have reasonable success. Your smashes beat out nearly everything in the game due to super armor so no one will want to risk going all out against you. They will camp out and wait for you to mess up, then try to throw you offstage ASAP. Good projectiles are miserable for Mac. I can imagine explosive flame making things hard to approach. However it's also predictable af. You can usually shield or jump over the whole thing if you're playing on a stage with platforms.

The best Little Mac players I've seen have to take it extremely slow (despite him being a faster character), be very careful with their spacing, shield, and parry game, and basically never approach unless something is guaranteed or they have advantage.

I've said it before, but I don't know how anyone has fun playing him if they just want to win singles games. He cleans house in FFAs but 1v1 seems like it would just drag.
I feel like if I would play campy and slow I wouldn't enjoy the character anymore but maybe that's what I need to do if I dont wanna get destroyed in Elite because so far playing in Elite is not as simple as I thought it would be.

Top Bottom