• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against marth?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
I wasnt sure is should post this in the match ups thread becuase they are currently on Ike, If I should post it there, feel free to delete my thread and I will reost there, that being said.

Last night I played against a marth, I am not sure if he was good or not (havent really looked into marth or played many) but we played for a long time and it went pretty even, I think I got more wins but not many at all, I was wondering for future matches, what some general tips for fighting him are as he cant be grab released well or fired on becuase he can dolphin slash out of it. I ended up killing him alot of the time with my D-tilt out of a grab release until he realized that he could slash out of it, then I had to get more creative, and of course, bowsercide. Any thoughts?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Dtilt grab release works, you just need frame perfect timing.

If the Marth is fond of jumping at you and using Fairs, use upward angled Ftilts to protect yourself.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Use shield approach, it's effective against his fair. Don't be predictable, of course, but dash then shield and side B OOS, grab, dashgrab or fortress. After a few times, they may try to use shield breaker on you, in which case you should punish with D smash or something.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
SH air dodges are also helpful if your opponent likes to use SH double fairs. You can air dodge through the first fair and use a quick attack like Fortress or uptilt to hit Marth before he can use a second fair

If you get sent above Marth, try your best to Bowser Bomb down to the edge. Beware of timed upairs/uptilts from Marth, and try to mess up his timing by starting Bowser Bomb earlier or later than normal

Teh Future

Smash Master
You can fair them after they use theirs.

Thats basically like half the matchup lol because every marth user spams fair a lot. Just bait fairs and punish inbetween hits.

If they like to spam dancing blades just use fire to beat it.

Dont get gimped and its pretty much even imo.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
You can fair them after they use theirs.

Thats basically like half the matchup lol because every marth user spams fair a lot. Just bait fairs and punish inbetween hits.

If they like to spam dancing blades just use fire to beat it.

Dont get gimped and its pretty much even imo.
LOL 0.0
even?!

just lol.
seriously, no good marth player spams fair.
Dude. what are you thinking? that marth players dont know how to play this game or something?

Marth destroys bowser.
And 'one opening' doesnt change the matchup, as marth players can *gasp* not create said opening.

again, lol@even. just lol.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
How destroys Marth Bowser?

I wouldn't call a 60:40 matchup "destroying".
I would.
If marth plays its cards right, you guys have a very very hard time beating him.

Dtilt poke, Fair/DB punishes.
DS OoS, Nair's reach etc.

and did the marth board agree with 60-40?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes. Yes they did.

Don't underestimate Bowser, please.

60:40 is a slightly advantageous matchup. "Destroying", in what I understand of the word (excuse me, I'm not natively English, so I might have carried the wrong translation all along) would be if Bowser had no chance against Marth, much like Dedede has his Infinite on Bowser.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Yes they did.

Don't underestimate Bowser, please.

60:40 is a slightly advantageous matchup. "Destroying", in what I understand of the word (excuse me, I'm not natively English, so I might have carried the wrong translation all along) would be if Bowser had no chance against Marth, much like Dedede has his Infinite on Bowser.
I dont underestimate bowser.
It just seems you underestimate marth, and so does his own board?

Bowser has potential, and I agree he is underrated by alot of people, hence your point of acusing me of underrestimating him.
But I dont.

And, yes, destroying implies 'not a chance'. but in high level of play a 10 point advantage is a lot. Believe me, it is:( (I dont completely agree with 60-40, but thats beside the point.).

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So what you do is implying:
1.) I have no idea about competetive/high level play
2.) I have no idea about Marth, who is my personal hardest matchup (so I do a lot of research on him and know a lot about him)
3.) The boards overrating their character more than any other character boards have no idea about him, too

Believe me, 60:40 is right. Look up the Matchup discussions on our and the Marth boards to find out more. I'm having a headache and am not really up to tell you the whole aspects of this matchup.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Doesn't claw our range most of marths aerials?
Marth has no answer to a "shield dash" (what ever you call it) spare counter when he is in the air you'll always get an upB.
A well positioned jumping fire breath is hard to avoid deals big damage and leaves bowser relatively safe.

Between those fair and utilt bowser has a wide variety of options to effectively and safely keep pressure and still be able to quickly switch to the defensive.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes, that is indeed true. Not to mention Bowser has invincibility frames on his UpB, thus resulting in a great defense when using while retreating. Bowser Shield is also HUGE (almost like an XBox). Marth has the upper hand in this match, no question, but he definitely doesn't have an incredibly easy time with Bowser.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Marth has a lot of options on Bowser. You just have to make those options moot.

Goof luck doing that though. Marth isn't easy, but compared to some of the matchups that Bowser has to deal with, Marth is bearable.

B!squick

Smash Master
Ha. I still think of that Grab Release Jab Cancelled Bowser Bomb MrEh pulled on a Marth whenever I think of the match up. In fact, from now on, the Grab Release Jab Cancelled Bowser Bomb shall forever be referred to as... The MrEh Combo. :)

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
One thing I found in this matchup recently is that you can outreach math's fairs with bowser's ftilt but if marth uses his nair it will get through the ftilt. It caught me suprise when that started happening to me in a match.

Top Bottom