• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against falco Lasers.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
Can someone give me some tips for fighting falcos that just fire at me and stop me.. i cant SHFFL cuz he stops my attk. i cant fair.. and im sick cuz i know i can beat this guy.

Another question... whats empty SHFFL.

and another..... should i use dash attk? or its useless? cuz i find it easier 2 do long combos dash attking, up tilt, up tilt. and continue the combo (i have only done it onnly on CPU's thou"

fatninja64

Smash Rookie
as far as the lasers go they kick my *** too so I don't really know. the empty shffl is a shffl where you don't hit the opponent. As far as the dash attack I would say don't use it. shffl aerials, you could also try to shieldgrab him as he approaches. then chaingrab upthrow til like 30's u tilt and work from there.

booshk

Smash Lord
Can someone give me some tips for fighting falcos that just fire at me and stop me.. i cant SHFFL cuz he stops my attk. i cant fair.. and im sick cuz i know i can beat this guy.

Another question... whats empty SHFFL.

and another..... should i use dash attk? or its useless? cuz i find it easier 2 do long combos dash attking, up tilt, up tilt. etc... (i have only don eit on CPU's thou
it kinda sounds like ur friend sits there and spams lasers while u try to shffl. which is kinad pointless. some lasers, maybe ur friends, will be really high and u just dash attack under them . yes that dash attack thing works unless their percentage is too low that after the dash attack they can tech.
one really important thing u need to know
chaingrab.
mainly .. what i do is in the start of a battle i jump and >b and like mindgame into a shffl fair for instance. and into a grab. by then if u do it correctly i can usually chaingrab to death...

at 0 percent u should throw down and then grab again, throw up until 20+ % u have to chase afer thhem, u cant stand in place and catch them. at 29-31 % u cant catch them if they dont di and simply fall on u , but if they do di just chase after them and catch them again. if they don't die pivot grab which is quite difficult but with practise its pretty easy. then keep grabbing till around 45 or so and up tilt into a tipper. edgeguard/ hog from there.
ur game should be completely different then for instance from playing a marth... try to make ur game surround around grabbing.

Me14k

Smash Lord
If you are marth, your dash attack sucks. I would shield it, lasers dont do much to sheild...but you could down B with marth right?

If you know you are playing a laser spamming falco, at start of battle sprint a few feet and jump to him.

I play with peach, I find using turnips to stop falco's spam pretty effective (as long as i can pull one) and then i start comboing him.

the problem

Smash Apprentice
Try doing full jump then your double jump to get close to him then start comboing him or follow him with fair or whatever you want.

As for the dash attacks never use em, you miss you get punished. For them its simple they can just spam wait till you come then just shield grab you and start a combo. Its not worth it trust me.

takieddine

Smash Master
You guys are rediculous, marth's dash attack is amazing, it actually lowers your head so you actually have more of a chance of going under the lasers and kicking ***..., marth should avoid giving the falco range in the first place...that way when he fires lasers at close range for combo setups, use counter. But it is a pretty prevalent problem that ranges from noob to pro...

booshk

Smash Lord
You guys are rediculous, marth's dash attack is amazing, it actually lowers your head so you actually have more of a chance of going under the lasers and kicking ***..., marth should avoid giving the falco range in the first place...that way when he fires lasers at close range for combo setups, use counter. But it is a pretty prevalent problem that ranges from noob to pro...
yah marths dash attack is quite good.
u dont completely remove it from ur game, thatas actually kinda noobie :]
obviously dont spam it as ur only approach
all the marth video i see these days all the marths only have one approach, mostly its double fair. no mindgames to back it up or anything, kinda bad.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
it kinda sounds like ur friend sits there and spams lasers while u try to shffl. which is kinad pointless. some lasers, maybe ur friends, will be really high and u just dash attack under them . yes that dash attack thing works unless their percentage is too low that after the dash attack they can tech.
one really important thing u need to know
chaingrab.
mainly .. what i do is in the start of a battle i jump and >b and like mindgame into a shffl fair for instance. and into a grab. by then if u do it correctly i can usually chaingrab to death...

at 0 percent u should throw down and then grab again, throw up until 20+ % u have to chase afer thhem, u cant stand in place and catch them. at 29-31 % u cant catch them if they dont di and simply fall on u , but if they do di just chase after them and catch them again. if they don't die pivot grab which is quite difficult but with practise its pretty easy. then keep grabbing till around 45 or so and up tilt into a tipper. edgeguard/ hog from there.
ur game should be completely different then for instance from playing a marth... try to make ur game surround around grabbing.

yeah tnks..i pivot grab... but at what % should i throw up then uptilt then Fsmash?

Gian

Smash Apprentice
yeah but another problem is when he suddenly use it at close range 2 combo me.... should I use counter there?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
how good is your edgegame? You can just WD back off the ledge and force him to come to you, if your edgegame is good enough you can then get back on and go on the offensive. I wouldn't do this if he can then just kill you, but unless he approaches you while spamming SHL or something you can use that time to get back on without the lasers and mess with him.

Powershielding works too :) but you need great timing to get him fed up with getting hit by his own lasers

As to the grab question, I have no clue, I don't use Marth that much...I only know what one of my friends does...

Gian

Smash Apprentice
well my edge game is preaty good. bud falcos dair could kill me if i miss something.

AS Money

Smash Lord
use the d tilt its good for seting up grabs spaceing to tip fsmash and others and it crotch cansals(slices and dices you get the idea) i like it especaly for an edge gaurd

falcos lazors are the cheapest **** in the game other than maybe the character peach

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Is he SHL'ing forward? If so, wait until he does the one right before the Jab/Utilt/Grab and counter it. He should be close enough to hit him with it, use the time he's teching/on the ground to approach, preferably into a grab > uthrow.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
It's a risky maneuver to just grab the edge.

Don't waste time learning to power shield; you're far better off developing your mind games. Like someone said here, do a full jump - and then double jump to fair. Make sure you space the fair too to protect against shield grabbing.

EDIT: Another option is to start the battle, so that the Falco is close to you.

kliente

Smash Cadet
WEll u can duck and after each laser u can WD forward or it's a pretty good idea to do the full jump, double jump and Fair like a lot of people said....my friend plays a really anoying falco when it comes to SHL and I usually throw myself inside his area as bait (quite stupid) and let him start his pillaring but after his first shine i break his pillaring with some automatic smash DI and, since I am near him, i **** the little ******* =) but unless u want to be a kamikaze like me u sould try th thecniques listed above XD

Vall3y

Smash Lord
*joins randomly*
marth's dash attack does not suck
its not spammable but at certain times it is very unexpected and it hits very far and starts nice combos. it can also go under SHL , i saw ken use it sometimes in old vids

Byped

Smash Cadet
i believe the best way to get to him is to shield till you can get in a double jump ...........

you can throw in a --> B to slow down your landing or land with a nair to screw-up his shield grab.

falco is a cheap char. but he has no recovery.......

get him off the edge and you win..................

BladesOfBrothers

Smash Rookie
If he's approaching you with SHL, Just wavedash out of shield. If hes just stationary, just full jump towards him or if you prefer my crappy method, grab on the edge and keep edge hopping. ^_^

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I play against a wicked spamming Falco and the best strategy for getting in is to just mix up SHFFL's, full jumps and double jumps. It also does help to shield and down tilt if he approaches. Spacing is key with the fair; if you get at the right distance he will either have to run away or fight back, both of which give you an advantage. And DO NOT immediately edge hog to avoid the lasers; with the best spike in the game, one mis-step by you can become a low percent kill.

So, in sum; jump over the lasers (mixing up the heights as need be), space your fairs when you get near, and once you do chain grab and/or utilt him until he learns his lesson :)

AS Money

Smash Lord
let me just add one thing to that. if you do use your double jump which is compleatly fine to use just try not to be hit until you touch ground again. why you ask. if falco hits you he can pretty much always get you off edge and with no second jump its an easy edge gaurd for falco

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
To do that I typically slowly approach with the double jump so if I do need to come down fast I still have fair to keep the separation.

I'm trying to develop a way to avoid the lasers without having to jump so high, but right now it's either:
a) not too effective
b) I'm not doing it right
or c) a combination of the formers.

Basically, it entails shorthopping and dodging towards the ground as if to wave dash but have the dodge remain for a while before hitting the ground. That way you can dodge and move forward (theoretically) if you can match the Falco's rhythm.

Does it seem like I'm wasting my time to you guys?

South_Paw

Smash Ace
hmm, idk if the questions have already been answered (or if what i have to say has already been said) but im far too lazy to read all of the posts to see.

if your friend is laser spamming, and all he does is laser spam until you get close, you can

dash attack: unless he shoots his lazers really low marths dash and dash attack will most likely just go right under it and you'll hit him as he's landing

counter: this is my favorite... it makes me laugh when i get it... just get close, and you can counter his lasers and actually gain a spacing advantage because it has a pretty big range

powershield: yeah it requires practice but if you powershield a lazer... you have basically a very quick recovery plus he'll almost ALWAYS be hit by it since it's unexpected...so it will be like you just lazered him and now HE is stunned so you can grab/****/combo, whatever.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
If ur Marth, u shouldn't even let him get away! Marth has no projectiles (no der) so u should never get far enough away for him to laser effectively! If he does, do a simple dodge and whack him before he recovers! The real threat with Falco is if he's good at spamming smash attacks.

Gian

Smash Apprentice
tnks for all the advices. Now i use most of them, but now im used to powershield 1st laser of the match stunning him and getting *****. Im getting used to powershielding =D but i dash attk as well and full jump sometimes just to dont be predictable xD

tnks again

Top Bottom