• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against chaingrabbing Marths..

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
Say a Marth is chain-grabbing me up to a certain extent (the player is smart, he stops at random times), and eventually, instead of another grab, he'll upsmash if I don't DI, but if I DO DI , I get F-smashed. =/

What should I do? D:

Bailey

Smash Hero
Ok here is what you do a few options.

1.) Plain and simple don't get grabbed.
2.) If you do get grabbed then DI up then keep mashing Down B because that one lucky shine can turn a CG in a combo on the Marth.
3.) Own him before he can grab you.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Yeah, to be honest, a Marth who chaingrabs well won't let you go once he grabs you. The best advise I can give is don't get grabbed in the first place.

If he does grab you, you can ether try and get out with DI, though a good chaingrabbing Marth won't be fooled by DI. You can try not DIing at all and mashing down B, as Baily said (I'm pretty sure that DIing in the same or complete opposite direction an attack is suppost to send you dosn't do anything, so DIing the uthrow up won't change it).

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i heard to DI up when your damage is at about 50-60.

when i fight my CGing marth friend i try and DI left and right for my life and tech if he misses a grab. but, sometimes he gets me with the fsmash. so just mix it up lol.

marth's son 10

Smash Cadet
Try using a side-dodge. You react faster and you dont leave yourself open as much as you do on a roll. Or attack Marth from long range.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
slight di behind him. More often than not, they won't notice and try to grab straight ahead and miss, or they'll notice, overplay it, dash grab and miss. If they just turn or do a pivot grab, you're still in the cg, but against n00b cgers, it works well. If they've got great form on it, all you can do is switch your DI up and hope for the best, and never di past like 35% or so, or you'll get fsmashed. Go towards platforms too, platforms are your best friend for breaking a cg.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Go towards platforms too, platforms are your best friend for breaking a cg.

thats VERY important, except it doesn't really apply to FD obviously. but on any of the platform levels DEFINATELY go for platforms, and tech when you land in case he tries to fsmash you (**** that swords range)

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
When getting chaingrabbed you need to plan ahead.

Don't DI the same way twice, unless it is towards a platform once you get good at DI'ng chain grabs you can get them to misjudge something and hit the ground Tech in a direction they would not expect you to tech in depending on where you are on the stage.

Not getting grabbed during a match, I'm gonna say that is almost impossible, especially if your opponent is smart. Most important thing to do is not panic, unless you're playing fox against a cg'n marth ... Beware of the tip range on marth when DI'n.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't DI the same way twice, unless it is towards a platform once you get good at DI'ng chain grabs you can get them to misjudge something and hit the ground
I don't necessarily agree with that statement. For the most part, yes, try to mix it up to make them screw up, although it is impossible to get out of if the marth is decent at cg. But, on occasion, I like to di the same way two, even three or four times in the same direction to kind of "mindgame" the opponent.

Anyways, yeah, there really isn't much to this; everyone has said what needs to be said. DI up around 60 and spam shine until you get it in...if you end up getting tippered, make sure you DI properly...you should never really die from a tipper below 100%...I survive tippers up to 120 all the time.

It's marth - you will get grabbed unless the marth is terribe at tech chasing. It's inevitable. The don't get grabbed concept is stupid.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Yeah, honestly, don't get grabbed. Sure, that's a hell of a lot to do, especially against Mr. Range of God, but if you force the Marth to come to you (or even just pressure him during your own approach) which can be easily done with the shl, his potential to work in a grab will be severely diminished, at which point you can have fun comboing him 'til Tuesday.

Now, should you actually get grabbed, there are no platforms around, and you can't pull out a shine, go make a sandwich. No point in wasting your time watching Falco get destroyed.

Truly, your real objective should just be to own Marth harder with shine combos than he can get you with grabs. You're gonna get grabbed eventually, so just do your own damage first.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Sorry, for the nublet question, but what is the shine going to do, is this the thing where if you shine at the right moment the frame you are out of marths grab it will hit him before he can do anything about it, I think that this is possible...

Anyway, if you think he is going for a grab, just SHL him, unless he is good at leading into a grab, and then, like the others said, you are gonna get grabbed, just hope you can hurt him more than he chaingrabs you

A-Laon

Smash Master
Sorry, for the nublet question, but what is the shine going to do, is this the thing where if you shine at the right moment the frame you are out of marths grab it will hit him before he can do anything about it, I think that this is possible...
Actually, what this means is that after Marth throws you up and you are falling back down into his grasp, by simply button mashing to try to shine, there is a chance that the shine will come out just as you're about to get grabbed (and only the shine - no other move is fast enough in this small window) and will hit Marth, to be very very cliche, turning the hunter into the hunted.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I filmed some videos with my friend who plays marth today and i'll post them up later so you guys can see. i get owned by the chaingrabbing though but i still won 2/3 matches we filmed.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
cg cant take you above 50 percent if you do it right. DI upwards and shine when you can.

until 50 though, i usually use slight di because it is hard for most marths

Top Bottom