• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So, never having played Xenoblade, let me ask

Is Shulk's future sight ability so op that it should only work into the final smahs

or does it happen often enough in the games to try to warrant working it into his moveset?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Phaazoid Phaazoid
The latter. Or it can function as a counter. Vision in Xenoblade is literally a Deus Ex Machina as you can prevent a party member getting KO'd at nearly any time.

@Shyolk
I'd presume the Monado I.

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman
The X hero can switch classes at any time. No Monado, no special weapons. Just a multiclass avatar.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We know next to nothing about the characters in X so I don't think we can be in agreement on anything.
Well, of course not. But I've heard a lot of people mention Elma in future rep discussions, so it's a start I guess.

Fistex

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a while now and I decided to make an account to support Shulk.
I also got a few ideas for Xenoblade content in ssb4.

For the stage I think it must have a view of the Bionis or the Mechonis at all times, just so we can see just how big the Xenoblade world is. I also wondered if it would be awesome to have a stage that exists in the time when the Bionis and the Mechonis are still alive so they can be stage hazards. Like a stage at the tip of the sword of the Mechonis that gets expanded when it strikes the Bionis so it is possible to enter the various areas of the Bionis for a short time. another concept would be the arm of the Mechonis where you continue fighting as it gets cut off.

For Shulks final smash I thought it would be a nice idea to have a vision. At the moment the smash is activtated the time rewinds to 5 seconds before that moment and everything is reset to that moment (like kills, damage and special meters) after this the time slows down and everyone is forced to the same input controlls as they did in the seconds before the final smash, except Shulk. So if you were running to the right in this period and during the final smash you get attacked and fall to the right you have no way to recover. Shulk could say something like "the future doesn't belong to you" when he activates it.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I just got another idea for a Final Smash. One of the movesets in the OP mentions a vision of a MISER attacking the stage. I say go big or go home. Do that, but with the Ancient Daedala *grin*

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Is Shulk's future sight ability so op that it should only work into the final smahs

or does it happen often enough in the games to try to warrant working it into his moveset?
While visions are used often in cut scenes and to advance the plot, they are also a key game play mechanic. When ever a party member would take a hit that would kill them or sufficiently wound them, Shulk gets a vision so that you can use the proper defensive ability.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I have a two ideas for final smashes. They're crazy and would never happen (plus full of huge endgame spoilers) but here me out. Firat on is where
Shulk transforms into Zanza and uses both monados the slash in anyone's way

or...
Shulk transforms into Zanza who then takes control of the bionis and uses a giant monado to kill everyone on the screen

...now I kinda want this to happen...

D

Deleted member

I have a two ideas for final smashes. They're crazy and would never happen (plus full of huge endgame spoilers) but here me out. Firat on is where
Shulk transforms into Zanza and uses both monados the slash in anyone's way

or...
Shulk transforms into Zanza who then takes control of the bionis and uses a giant monado to kill everyone on the screen

...now I kinda want this to happen...
It's a cool idea, but it wouldn't make sense in the context of Shulk, his character, and Xenoblade. Shulk and Zanza are two separate entities; it wouldn't make sense if Shulk can suddenly transform into Zanza for a Final Smash. Doing that would be the equivalent of having Luigi transform into Super Dimentio, Meta Knight into Galacta Knight, and Robin into Grima for their Final Smashes; it wouldn't make sense.

I say that the best ideas for Final Smashes are either a Chain Attack cutscene (much like that of Mega Man's Final Smash) or Monado Cyclone.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Sorry this is a bit off topic from the previous question uhh spoilers:
What version of the Monado do you all think Shulk would be wielding? He could be using the Monado because it's the most iconic and spoiler-free design but it won't be able to damage people. Or Sakurai could just go with it and let Shulk use it because why the heck not. But Sakurai does like attention-to-detail (note: Lucina's mark of the Exalt in her eye) so that makes room for Monado II to bust a cap, yo.
Sakurai also doesn't care much for spoilers so the True Monado is also a possibility.

Gracious, my train of thought is going on a tangent right now. I just thought what if Shulk's Monado turned into the True Monado for his Final Smash? Imagining it makes me excited...
Monado III because it's the only one that can kill a god.... like Palutena :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
While visions are used often in cut scenes and to advance the plot, they are also a key game play mechanic. When ever a party member would take a hit that would kill them or sufficiently wound them, Shulk gets a vision so that you can use the proper defensive ability.
Alright. Not knowing anything about the series other than the guy has a sword and has future sight, I thought of a kinda cool final smash.

When you activate the final smash, time rewinds something like 10 - 15 seconds, and then starts playing again. The difference is, all the other characters are locked into doing exactly what they did last time, so you basically know what's going to happen and can just wait somewhere and charge smashes to hit people.

idk I just thought something like that would be unique and fun. Probably has a few flaws, though.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Finally made it back through those past few pages, so i'll just throw out a few comments in reference to previous discussions:

I'm not sure about Elma as a new rep in the future since we know next to nothing about her or X in general. It is possible.

#TeamMelia all the way although I'd probably go with Seven as the second rep. It just seems more important to Xenoblade. Unfortunately Melia gets shafted again... :urg:

I'm going to force myself to make a Shulk move set for once so I'll post that some point soon along with a trailer idea

Shulk is definitely going to use the Monado from the beginning.

I'm still hoping for visions to be incorporated, just not sure how. The concept about characters moving and going back in time and enabling Shulk to attack is pretty cool but it doesn't exactly sound as powerful as a final smash should be.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

It happens quite frequently, so it makes sense for it to be incorporated into his move set. However, how they would actually implement such an ability without either making it overpowered or just a fancy counter is something I personally cannot imagine.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It happens quite frequently, so it makes sense for it to be incorporated into his move set. However, how they would actually implement such an ability without either making it overpowered or just a fancy counter is something I personally cannot imagine.
Well, I would just leave that part to Sakurai. The man has created pretty much perfect movesets for Villager, Megaman, Lil Mac, Wii fit trainer etc.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I would just leave that part to Sakurai. The man has created pretty much perfect movesets for Villager, Megaman, Lil Mac, Wii fit trainer etc.
Obviously. Sakurai has quite the creative mind, and I'm certain he could figure out a way to implement it well. I just can't think of how.

Though I think the idea of Shulk having a vision for his Final Smash, where everyone's movements for the duration of the vision are recorded and forced onto them after the vision ends, after which Shulk can take advantage of knowing what the opponent would do, is an interesting idea.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I still like the idea of giving it more of an homage with his dodges rather than moveset incorporation. That or my Daedala FS idea :p (vision of the Ancient Daedala attacking, then uses Monado Shield to protect himself)

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I still like the idea of giving it more of an homage with his dodges rather than moveset incorporation. That or my Daedala FS idea :p (vision of the Ancient Daedala attacking, then uses Monado Shield to protect himself)
I don't even want to talk about the Ancient Daedala. I hate it. I REALLY hate it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

If i had a nickel for every time i got a vision in my play through, the game would've paid for itself...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If i had a nickel for every time i got a vision in my play through, the game would've paid for itself...
The vision mechanic was actually what made me buy the game, because I was very intrigued by it.
Well, it was one reason I bought it for. I also bought it because I heard from my friend how amazing it was.

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
It's a cool idea, but it wouldn't make sense in the context of Shulk, his character, and Xenoblade. Shulk and Zanza are two separate entities; it wouldn't make sense if Shulk can suddenly transform into Zanza for a Final Smash. Doing that would be the equivalent of having Luigi transform into Super Dimentio, Meta Knight into Galacta Knight, and Robin into Grima for their Final Smashes; it wouldn't make sense.

I say that the best ideas for Final Smashes are either a Chain Attack cutscene (much like that of Mega Man's Final Smash) or Monado Cyclone.
It was mainly a combination of me joking and also say weird stuff like that when i'm sleep deprived. But yeah chain attack would work best.

Facing an enemy, You Will Know Our Names is playing in the background, you're getting pumped when all of a sudden you hear glass shatter and THE FUTURE IS OURS TO DECIDE. Arghhhjjiytfe...there's really only one song in Xenoblade and it's the song that plays when you change the future in a battle.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I know earlier we talked about music, but I want to pose a different question. If any non-combat song could be rearranged for SSB4 to go on Shulk's stage, which one would you prefer?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I know earlier we talked about music, but I want to pose a different question. If any non-combat song could be rearranged for SSB4 to go on Shulk's stage, which one would you prefer?
Satorl marsh at night.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So everyone is pretty much in agreement that if Xenoblade X would get a rep in the future, it would be Elma?
no i would think it would be like the villager and just be the character you play as in the game the avatar character probably called something to suit the role he plays in the game

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Riki's Tenderness can get worked in there somehow.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Mechonis Central Factory is pretty good and quite under rated based on what I've seen around. Well, lack of seeing it...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think Gaur Plains would be a good choice. Not to mention it's relatively fast pace would make it a nice fighting song.

Although I would really like the main theme to be in there somehow...

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of music, I've really been loving this piece recently. It's the theme that plays when you're ambushed.
On Mechonis anyway
...I actually kinda want this to be what plays when Shulk's "Challenger Approaching" comes up. YWKON will probably be it though and I'm perfectly fine with that.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Can't wait to see Shulk getting his revenge in his reveal trailer. :estatic:
I saw this picture on Miiverse, I think it's ironic that Shulk's calling someone else a bookworm.

The event ones could easily be made more interesting, but I'd rather just leave them as such. I think maybe something like Bionis Interior, Mechonis Field or Central Factory could work well.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So, how would you guys feel about a Xenoblade medley that compiles some area music maybe?
Like this one from brawl:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The main theme would obviously be up for rearrangement for Smash. It's the main theme!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The vision mechanic was actually what made me buy the game, because I was very intrigued by it.
Well, it was one reason I bought it for. I also bought it because I heard from my friend how amazing it was.
Oh, i LOVE that mechanic. I was trying to make a joke :chuckle:

I think anything could work. I mean, we got Calling to the Night which doesn't exactly scream fighting....As for an actual answer, i'd love the title screen song. It's so beautiful and really sets the mood for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom