• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Agreed. Also, are we even sure that that Shadow Eye-looking move is even his downB? It looks kinda like it could be his standing dodge... Maybe I'm grasping here...?
I'm not sure. It sort of looked like Shadow Eye, but it also did look like a standing dodge. I'd have to see the footage again. It could easily have been a case of people wanting to see disappointment for some reason.

Again, though I don't see how you can really be that disappointed, when his normal attacks look so visually interesting, and impressive. So does the art-switching. Like, damn.

Also dat Adam Howden "I can see it!" like I've said before.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I honestly don't like the Up-B, and I need to know more on how the Monado modes work before I judge.
I'm hoping that Air Slash will work like ZSS's new up-B. I may have misinterpreted the attack, but I believe if it makes contact, she does a sideways kick to hit them away. Shulk Air Slashes up like Dolphin Slash, but does a side-hit on contact. It'd look more like Air Slash that way.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm hoping that Air Slash will work like ZSS's new up-B. I may have misinterpreted the attack, but I believe if it makes contact, she does a sideways kick to hit them away. It'd look more like Air Slash that way.
And remember, there's always custom moves, which will more than definitely make it even more different from Marth's regardless.

Perhaps Sakurai thought the actual animation for Air Slash being two hits was a little OP, or it had less distance and didn't fit as a default, or whatever. There's any number of reasons.

D

Deleted member

I might be the only one, but has anyone thought of how Shulk Kirby might work? According the the original text leak, Shulk's neutral special is a stance change type thing, which I assume was in the video in the form of the symbols that appear. So, would Kirby end up copying that? Or would he end up stealing one of Shulk's other specials?

Other than that bit of confusion, I'm super hyped to play as Shulk. October 3rd cannot come soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I might be the only one, but has anyone thought of how Shulk Kirby might work? According the the original text leak, Shulk's neutral special is a stance change type thing, which I assume was in the video in the form of the symbols that appear. So, would Kirby end up copying that? Or would he end up stealing one of Shulk's other specials?

Other than that bit of confusion, I'm super hyped to play as Shulk. October 3rd cannot come soon enough.
I've been thinking about that. I don't think he'd get the art-swaps. That's a bit much to give Kirby in the Shulk matchup. I think he'll just get either a slight power boost when using it, or whatever Shulk's side-b is. We've never had such a complex neutral B before, save for Olimar's, which Kirby has a combination of neutral and side for.

Also, I can't help but hear the victory theme whenever I see your sig, and it makes me incredibly happy.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I'm not sure. It sort of looked like Shadow Eye, but it also did look like a standing dodge. I'd have to see the footage again. It could easily have been a case of people wanting to see disappointment for some reason.

Again, though I don't see how you can really be that disappointed, when his normal attacks look so visually interesting, and impressive. So does the art-switching. Like, damn.

Also dat Adam Howden "I can see it!" like I've said before.
I only even thought of it being a dodge because it seems like something Sakurai would do, making his dodge look like a move from the original game that 'hid' him... It does look equally as likely that it could be a special too, though, considering that there's a bit of extra flair on it. Even if it is a counter, though, I'm sure it will be uniquely Shulk, like Lucario's counter.

Also, happy about the Adam Howden voice too.:) I love how consistent Nintendo is with voice actors. They even brought back Pit's Uprising actor!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only special we don't know about is the side special.

It might be something like Back Slash or Slit Edge, or it might be an attack reminiscent of Monado Purge. Hell, it might even be an attack that is based on Shulk's current mode.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Yeah, Shulk's victory theme is pretty great. Far better than what I imagined it'd be.
I can barely hear it, but from what I could hear, I'm gonna love it.

I'm thinking Shulk's side special is probably Stream Edge or Slit Edge (though that won't offer any recovery...) My issue with something like Purge or Eater is that it's a Monado Art when Air Slash and Shadow Eye(?) are both regular arts. Monado Arts may be reserved for a Final Smash.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah shulk now that I calmed down from the reaction of it looks really kick ass to play as with that stat change he can do I can see that being really powerful if people learn how to use it

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I can barely hear it, but from what I could hear, I'm gonna love it.

I'm thinking Shulk's side special is probably Stream Edge or Slit Edge (though that won't offer any recovery...) My issue with something like Purge or Eater is that it's a Monado Art when Air Slash and Shadow Eye(?) are both regular arts. Monado Arts may be reserved for a Final Smash.
So do you think that the move we saw where he thrusts out the Monado was his sideB? It looks like Slit Edge to me, but I thought that was a smash.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Where can I hear the victory theme? Or is that gone for good now?
surprisingly theres still footage of the leak that hasn't been taken down on youtube
Victory theme video. Others are still up on their channel.
And if it does get removed, I've thrown it on Dropbox. I'll leave it there probably until Smash is out everywhere.

So do you think that the move we saw where he thrusts out the Monado was his sideB? It looks like Slit Edge to me, but I thought that was a smash.
Actually yeah I think that's Slit Edge, and it did look like a side-smash. Lingered too long to be a tilt, IMO. Okay then I'd forgotten that; just Stream Edge in that case :laugh:

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I'm inclined to think that his side special pretty much has to be Back Slash. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense for Robin to have a move that deals more damage from behind but not Shulk of all people, you know?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Just to inform everyone, but Xenoblade Chronicles X is 5 times bigger world wise than Xenoblade Chronicles.

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenob...-five-times-bigger-than-in-xenoblade-for-wii/

AWESOME! :D
That is absolutely mind-blowing, ridiculously awesome news...:eek: I can't even imagine. I remember trying to swim across Eryth Sea once, and that took forever. And multiply that by more than five times...?

Awesome. If I wasn't already sold on the game, I would be now...:chuckle:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Oooh, that's perfect. Thanks.

You're welcome.
I'm inclined to think that his side special pretty much has to be Back Slash. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense for Robin to have a move that deals more damage from behind but not Shulk of all people, you know?
Argh, I keep forgetting Back Slash somehow. I do think Back Slash is really likely too. Actually, probably more likely than Stream Edge. Maybe he could leap forward for a small bit of recovery.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It's great that we have something more to talk about now, thanks to this leak.:) It was starting to get kinda weird around here with no info to discuss... Thank Bionis that's over, right?;)

Going back to the victory theme for a moment, I remember hearing some people (nonbelievers, blarg...) who said the theme was cut straight from the original song, no remix. But I distinctly hear a remix. I'm not the only one, right? What do you guys think?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if this is true, then Shulk might not have a reveal trailer. :(
This seems like a text-leak building off of the current leak. I don't trust it, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't just add one Ice Climber. Sure, they're still there, but their purpose was their gimmick.

I wouldn't worry.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if this is true, then Shulk might not have a reveal trailer. :(
Well, that leak says Dark Pit is going to be completely unique from Pit.

If that other leak is any indication, Dark Pit is going to be to Pit what Lucina is to Marth.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
You forgot the part where they tease Dark Pit again.

He's the definite Party Crasher!

And as my Modly friend Hokori stated here, the recent events are only hyping me up furthermore, even more than I was before. This pretty much was dangling a carrot, because we have no explanation of his playstyle, still one of the most important elements in Smash (And Shulk ain't no clone!)
"Uh huh." ~Party Crashing King

D

Deleted member

I say don't believe any leaks like this for now. Leaks nowadays are piggy-backing the unknown renders leak.
Even if it was true, I think that Shulk and the other newcomers would get a trailer regardless.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
As others have said, it's probably not legit... Even if it was, I remember Sakurai saying something about everyone having intro videos that would be there from the start, as opposed to how Subspace Emissary worked... I may have that wrong though. Maybe he just meant newcomers. Still, that would mean Shulk would still get one.:)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, that leak says Dark Pit is going to be completely unique from Pit.

If that other leak is any indication, Dark Pit is going to be to Pit what Lucina is to Marth.
I think Dark Pit at the very least is actually a semi-clone, if him having the Dark Pit Staff in his render is any indication. However, this means extremely little if anything at all. Piggybacking is easy and all you need to do is see that image to start positing that theory.

Still, this thing is bull**** until proven otherwise, like almost every Gamefaqs leak. I also love how it just happens to tell everyone everything they didn't want to hear.

And I'll believe Solo-Climbers when I see it, since all the credible sources are confident they aren't coming back.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
the leaker is still not covinving just because how flip floppy he's been
first he said Wolf, lucas, and IC are not back then he saids now that they are
he said that Ridley and Dixey are in then now they are not
I'm just saying he is to flip floppy to be convincing

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What's weird is that the CCS seems totally false with the multiple inconsistencies in it but the video proves that Bowser Jr. Is in...
Right now we're stuck in a weird limbo of not knowing which info is true and which is false.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
the leaker is still not covinving just because how flip floppy he's been
first he said Wolf, lucas, and IC are not back then he saids now that they are
he said that Ridley and Dixey are in then now they are not
I'm just saying he is to flip floppy to be convincing
I'm...fairly sure it isn't the same leaker. Unless it is? Then I'm confused.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
What's weird is that the CCS seems totally false with the multiple inconsistencies in it but the video proves that Bowser Jr. Is in...
Right now we're stuck in a weird limbo of not knowing which info is true and which is false.
But we do know one thing. All leaks point to Shulk.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah, I got caught off-guard there, so whoopsies. I found the image in this NeoGAF thread, if anyone's curious.

It's great that we have something more to talk about now, thanks to this leak.:) It was starting to get kinda weird around here with no info to discuss... Thank Bionis that's over, right?;)

Going back to the victory theme for a moment, I remember hearing some people (nonbelievers, blarg...) who said the theme was cut straight from the original song, no remix. But I distinctly hear a remix. I'm not the only one, right? What do you guys think?
I think it's arranged as well. There's a loud stop in the end of the theme to make it sound like it ends there.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Does Shulk say anything when he is doing his victory pose?
I swear I hear something I just don't know what...
Well, his mouth isn't moving at all, but maybe that's just how it is in the 3DS version. The audio is pretty bad, though... I can't hear anything except the victory theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom