• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HDTV lag + smash

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys,

I just bought a new TV/monitor with fullHD.
I got enoying lag playing smash... Does anyone know a sollution and will a HDTV component cable work? Will that reduce the lag?

Thanks!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I dunno if someone made a thread like this before, but assuming they didn't, thank goodness someone made a thread about this matter!

I don't have an HDTV of my own yet, though I plan to get one. I once asked a similar question. From what someone (name escapes me at the moment) told me, there seems to be no going around the problem. The only solution is to use a normal TV. Are there even non-HDTVs available anymore? I was also told there are HDTVs that has less lag for Brawl than others, so finding one with the least lag possible is your best bet, though I know not the best brand and/or model for that purpose. I hope this helps any.

Get VGA cables (and a separate sound system if you want sound) for almost zero lag.

If you can't get them, buy component cables. Some lag, but it's only half the lag you'll have from composite cables.

Enable game mode on your HDTV or if yours doesn't have that feature, disable all picture enhancing options.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Get VGA cables (and a separate sound system if you want sound) for almost zero lag.

If you can't get them, buy component cables. Some lag, but it's only half the lag you'll have from composite cables.

Enable game mode on your HDTV or if yours doesn't have that feature, disable all picture enhancing options.
I gotta admit, that post helped even me. Now I won't have to have second thoughts about getting an HDTV. I'll be sure to write that down for when I decide to actually get one of my own. ^ω^

basvhout

Smash Apprentice

thanks!

I have an HDTV + monitor in one. So i already use the vga cables for my PC...
And i have not like ALOT of lag now but you can clearly see it. So do you recommend purchasing these HDMI cables? or is there a other way with the VGA cables?

Thanks

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've talked to a guy that hosts Street Fighter tournaments and he was telling me that VGA cables are a bit of a gamble. According to him, it can either decrease or increase the lag. Either way, there will be lag. I think the HDTVs out there that don't have lag are Arcade screens and some type of TV they use in hospitals and airports. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those options are available to the public.

Another thing I've heard is that if you have less than 5 frames of lag, you're in good shape. Anymore, and I'd look into VGA cables. Also, I don't know if the whole component lag<HDMI lag is true, but I can see why it would be.

I think my Dynex is fine for the most part as I can do reversals in Street Fighter (which has a three frame window) for the most part just fine.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks, ill just try HDMI cables + setting the wii settings to hdmi @ options and if it doesnt work ill just return them the same day.

HelpR

Smash Ace
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2

These are the component cables I use for my 32 inch flat screen.

Also, when you are shopping for an HDTV, it's highly suggested you bring your wii with you, and ask the people at the store if you can try out your gaming system on the tv to see how much lag there is. Obviously if there's a high amount of lag, you wont purchase it. Just because it's an HDTV, that doesnt necessarily mean there will ALWAYS be lag, just shop around. Some have almost no lag, while others have incredibly high amounts, my 32 inch has about 3 frames, while my 50 inch has 1 frame at the worst moments, and that's knocked out with component cables.

Slashy

Smash Lord
If you use computer monitors, you'll likely have less lag. Get a monitor that naturally outputs ypbbr and you'll likely not have very much lag.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I have a 32" Vizio TV and 3rd party component cables for my Wii, and I get 0 lag playing anything. And I mean 0 lag when I say that. I play Paper Mario on my TV just fine, but when I hook the same stuff up to my girlfriend's 32" Toshiba, I can't even play it; I literally miss EVERY SINGLE ACTION COMMAND.

I've tested this exact Wii/cable setup on 3 TVs; my Vizio is the only one without lag. It's beautiful.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I have a 32" Vizio TV and 3rd party component cables for my Wii, and I get 0 lag playing anything. And I mean 0 lag when I say that. I play Paper Mario on my TV just fine, but when I hook the same stuff up to my girlfriend's 32" Toshiba, I can't even play it; I literally miss EVERY SINGLE ACTION COMMAND.

I've tested this exact Wii/cable setup on 3 TVs; my Vizio is the only one without lag. It's beautiful.
Vizio? Then that's the brand I ought to aim for. What model of TV is it? >ω<

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
thanks for all reply's kinda late. but didnt want to make a new threat...

So i got this problem: my TV doesnt recognize my composite cables :/
I can play through scart... but when I plug in my composite cables in the yellow white and red holes and turn my TV to "Composite" It saids no signal...

any ideas?

cheers

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
ok thanks, ill just try HDMI cables + setting the wii settings to hdmi @ options and if it doesnt work ill just return them the same day.

Since when the hell could u use HDMI cables on wii. I use component. (Make sure their gold tips)

And btw, Insignia TV is the best option for ssbb gameplay. It provides no lag whatsoever and u can play at great speed.

masamunecyrus

Smash Apprentice
Those who say they have "zero" lag or "imperceptible" lag are talking relatively; all HDTVs have lag, and they just can't feel it. That doesn't mean that you won't feel it, however!! If you are unfortunately highly sensitive to input lag, unless they have real numbers in frames or milliseconds regarding the TV's lag, don't believe them!

If your TV is good, you'll experience less than 3 or 4 frames of lag. If your TV is really good, you'll get less than 2. The problem is that most all TVs have a lot of lag, and the number of TVs with minimal lag are, well, minimal. Those with minuscule lag on the Wii (a 480p -- not HD -- source) are even fewer, almost non-existent.

If you've already bought your TV, I guess you've learned your lesson for buying your next TV. If you haven't committed to a TV, yet, I suggest this labyrinthical thread on AVS Forum. As a rule of thumb, Sharp and Panasonic tend to be consistently the best regarding input lag (notice that Nintendo uses almost exclusively Panasonic TVs at game shows), and Sony and Samsung rarely have good lag performance. Every TV is different, however, so don't trust a TV based on just the brand, take your Wii and super fast-paced game into the electronic store, plug it in, and test the tv before you buy it. There are also a multitude of tools available for testing lag, available on the AVS Forum input lag thread.

Having already purchased a TV, there are a number of things you can do.

1.) Get component cables, and set your Wii to widescreen and 480p. The less stretching (480p -> 1080p) and converting (480i -> 480p) your TV has to do, the faster it's going to be at converting the Wii's signal to the TV's native resolution, and the less the lag. If you're feeling lucky, you can try plugging in your laptop to the TV with a VGA cable. Using a mouse, you should be able to feel the lag pretty readily. If you don't feel any lag on your mouse at all, maybe you should look into a VGA cable for the Wii.

2.) Set your TV to Game Mode. Nearly all HDTVs nowadays have them. Sometimes the game mode is obvious, and sometimes it's hidden in the menu. It could be a separate setting, or it could even be a picture mode. I had a TV once where the only way to activate game mode was to rename the input to GAME, and you had to reset that name every time you changed to that input to re-enable it. If you can't find it, search through your TV's manual for it. You're really going to notice a difference immediately after enabling game mode. You can usually also see a visual difference immediately -- try turning game mode on and off, and you'll probably see that turning it off makes the TV blurrier, maybe shakier, or the contrast might get worse... This is a good thing; it's turning off all of the processor-heavy effects that make your picture pretty, but also lag your picture.

3.) Turn off all of the rest of the video processing that you can find in the menu. Turn off active contrast, turn off 120hz/240fps/etc (or TruMotion, or Film Mode or whatever it's called on your set), turn off digital noise reduction, everything that you can bear. Any processing your TV is doing to the picture are precious milliseconds that it's using before displaying the picture to the screen.

Hopefully this helps. Again, you can check AVS Forum for tons of information on this subject.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I own a 40 inch Sharp Aquos LCD that has no noticeable input lag when I play Brawl on it. I've got my Wii connected to the TV with official Nintendo component cables and the Wii is set to output in 480p and the widescreen 16.9 aspect ratio.

Here’s a great video for anyone who is considering buying an HDTV and plays games on the Wii.

Sharp Aquos LCD TV - perfectly lagless

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH236H-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/tech-data/B002453K5G/ref=de_a_smtd

Getting this monitor. What can I do to get brawl running on it? And where?

I've looked for a VGA cable for the Wii and I can't find any with good reviews.

Edit: So my monitor can VGA cable came in a few days ago and I have some ups and downs.

Monitor: ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
VGA Cable: Wii/PS3 VGA HDTV AV Cable

The quality and lack of lag is amazing for HD. I loved it. But there's a problem.. The cable causes the screen to black out every 30 seconds to a minute for about 2 seconds. So this completely kills the game. If the wii is set to 480i instead of 480p, the game doesn't black out, but instead the screen vibrates. If you play a quick round, the vibration doesn't hurt gameplay so much, but the quality looks bad and it's sort of a buzz kill. Right now I'm investing in an HD BOX PRO. Hope that works out ):

Edit 2: So got the HD Box Pro....

The quality is more or less the same, and the input lag isn't bad. It's very playable. But there's a problem, similar to the previous. Instead of a complete black out for two seconds, there's small glitches or screen shifts that happen every 10 or 18 minutes. It's a LOT better than the first attempt, but it's still not perfect. What do I do ):

Top Bottom