• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HBP SJSU tourney oct 24 WELCOME SOCAL - BRING YOUR TVs + CUBES

Kira-

Smash Champion
major props to dajuan

beating THE silentspectre? you're living the californian dream

quak

Smash Champion
when someone offers to bring a full sized trampoline, i will host

or rent one

cotton candy machine would be *****in too

L__

Smash Master
shoutouts

PHIL

hope you had a happy birthday

sfat for getting me to sjsu
joe for teaming with me and wrecking in teams
oscar and johnny... we'll get you guys next time in teams
dajuanderful for placing third
macd, I'll get you next time
jeff, playing against you is always interesting
justin for talking to me for like...two seconds throughout the entire day
quak [at least I think that was quak] nice meeting you
rey, playing hacky sack made out of a paper bag with me
superrad brian...for doing whatever it is you do
darrell. you're hella funny.
german for wrecking my fox with samus

Gaara♥

Smash Master
francy

this controller *****

im going to use it until i see you again
i have like 6 controllers but those are my best 2... i would like to have it back asap lol and I have to give you lovages screw driver things to take back to him because he forgot it at my house so i better see you real soon!

Gaara♥

Smash Master
shoutouts to L and Rey for that awesome game of jack in the box bag hackey sack

no shoutouts to SUPERGAYGUYBRIAN for being a grumpy old man and throwing our sack away

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
I'd like to shoutout to

falcomist - you get a shoutout this time!
nhat - we're pretty good at teams
mango - best falcon punch thats ever been done on me
kizzo - for setting up and knocking down with me
wally - for making this happen
kurtis - for showing up early and helping to set up
matt - for staying late and helping put the setups away
SJSU security - for ****ing up and leaving all the rooms unlocked so we can have as many set ups as we want. SCORE

more of these tourneys may happen. stay tuned.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I'd like to shoutout to

falcomist - you get a shoutout this time!
nhat - we're pretty good at teams
mango - best falcon punch thats ever been done on me
kizzo - for setting up and knocking down with me
wally - for making this happen
kurtis - for showing up early and helping to set up
matt - for staying late and helping put the setups away
SJSU security - for ****ing up and leaving all the rooms unlocked so we can have as many set ups as we want. SCORE

more of these tourneys may happen. stay tuned.
honestly though

there were soooooo many setups
beyond great job on that

D

Deleted member

i loved this tournament

phil: happy birthday, tournament was one of the best i've been to so far

houseofgaara: thank you for housing!

moreshoutouts when i see bracket

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Me and Peter **** at running tourneys. Thanks also to Francisco and whoever else helped run pools, and thanks to Nick and the CS club for hosting.

Just to get some feedback, what did you guys think of having pools of 5? In the past I would usually just make fewer larger pools because I felt that a pool of 5 was too small. We had 42 people so we did 8 pools of 5 (except 2 had 6), where alternatively we could have done 6 even pools of 7 or 7 even pools of 6. The benefit to 8 pools is that it's easy to make a bracket from just the top 2, whereas with other numbers you either have to have the odd wild cards or byes.

SuperRad

Smash Master
i think using wild cards is good for 'blocking' against death pools, but part of the point of pools is that not everyone makes it out

as long as the pools are well seeded i think it doesn't matter

i'd rather use a set up where i get more matches because its unlikely ill make it out

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
this tourney ran AMAZINGLY. everything was done just so fast i was really impressed. i know the number of setups helped, but people were really focused. i didnt see anyone wasting time with friendlies, and everyone was really on task.

pools were run very nicely. only the amazing made it out, and pretty much every pool was a death pool, but the fact that we got through everything made it great because we could play friendlies anyway.

i approve of everything that happened except the lack of donations made to wally. he was pretty dissapointed with the 2 dollars and something cents that was put in to the box. hopefully if we do this again people would be willing to stick a dollar in there to keep the officers in support of these events.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
this tourney ran AMAZINGLY. everything was done just so fast i was really impressed. i know the number of setups helped, but people were really focused. i didnt see anyone wasting time with friendlies, and everyone was really on task.

pools were run very nicely. only the amazing made it out, and pretty much every pool was a death pool, but the fact that we got through everything made it great because we could play friendlies anyway.

i approve of everything that happened except the lack of donations made to wally. he was pretty dissapointed with the 2 dollars and something cents that was put in to the box. hopefully if we do this again people would be willing to stick a dollar in there to keep the officers in support of these events.
Take a venue fee next time.

pockyD

Smash Legend
As far as I know, there WAS a venue fee

$7 for singles entry, $10 per team. a dollar from each entry goes to CS. 5 dollars go to my lunch. My entree fee, plus that of an officer who would like to enter, will also be free.
This is why I didn't give any "donations". There's absolutely no reason to charge people, then expect them to give more money on top of it, this certainly isn't a 'tip' situation. if he had any expectations of getting a certain amount of money, then add that to the venue fee (charge $2 for venue or whatever)

I know for sure a lot of people I talked to felt the exact same way, so there it is. If he wanted money, then charge it.

I do want to apologize for not sticking around to help move the couches, but you guys literally waited until 10 seconds before we were walking out the door to ask us to help 'in a few minutes', after cleanup had already been underway for 10 mins without anyone asking me for help.

nehinbin

Smash Apprentice
If everyone who went just donated 25 cents to Wally, he would have gotten a decent amount. Or there could be like a $1 venue fee next time or something.

Shroomed

Smash Master
most ppl didnt donate to wally cuz everyone donated to phil's bday cake cuz that **** was $60 cuz vanessa's crazy

i highly doubt that ppl would go to tourney, pay entry+venue, $$$ for food, donate to phil's cake and then donate even more for wally's turn tables

but still thank wally for staying so that we could have the tourney

/agree with pocky, throw in a $1 more venue fee

SuperRad

Smash Master
also
donations mean its not mandatory, im fairly poor so im not going to donate

i dont know wally
its not personal, i just dont care if he ends up with turntables

also if another club officer was there that decided to enter [kizzo, i presume], did he need to be there? this is the same thing that happened at the last one, he didnt need to be there all day [but was] and then got upset that he was there all day

L__

Smash Master
I would have donated...

But

I only had $20 that day.

-5 for my end doubles
-7 for singles
-4 for lunch
-5 for friend's doubles

as you can see, I ended the day with $-1

Thank you Wally for staying, much appreciated.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
to clarify something i havnt mentioned to the general public, there are only 4 CS officers, and none of them are anything beyond casual smashers. the night before, there was a LAN party held in the same room to celebrate windows 7 coming out, and several of the officers were there, quite literally, all night. i showed up to set up in the morning and they were playing dota. under normal circumstances without this LAN party the night before, the officers would be willing to take shifts so its not just one person there all 14 hours of the tourney.

to add to wally's frustration, he had to drive back to san fransisco after, with only a few hours of sleep over almost 2 days. its not really that anyone is upset about anything, and wally was actually impressed by how respectful the smash community actually is (the last tourney was NOT typical) and would have actually been willing to push the rules a little bit and let you guys stay longer if it wearnt for his hour long drive home.

so i really didnt mean to call anyone out for not donating, especially considering there was the cake and all. it would have been nice though, had there been a couple more dollars. if we do it again i'll ask people before hand how willing they'd be to raise singles to 8 dollars and to take an additional 50 cent fee for the club and 50 cents for the sake of those officers who dont exactly want to be there. im sure with an extra 20 bucks having gone to the club and 20 bucks to the officers personally, they would be much more willing to support future events.

now alternatively if people would be actively willing to support and donate and such, obviously this would not be needed.

seriously, no one is mad at you guys or calling anyone out. its just hard to keep the officer's support sometimes when they arnt particularly interested in smash

pockyD

Smash Legend
just add to the venue fee

having an 'optional' fee, especially, for poor/cheap smashers, will not end well

as long as it's appropriate relative to the actual entry ($2 on 5 is just fine), nobody will complain

Top Bottom