• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hazard switch or Omega mode? Which is better to you?

Which one do you think is better?

• Omega Mode, FD for everywhere, no hazards.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Hazard Switch: Same layout, no hazards.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • They're both just as good or very close.

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
In SSB4, the new Omega Stage feature turns every stage layout into Final Destination, with hazards removed, design and music maintained, and some having walls on the bottom sides, some being similar to FD, and some being absolutely torturous to fast angled recoveries (I swear if I do Lylat on FG i'll probably lose if I'm not using Villager).

In Super Smash Flash 2, an downloadable game that mimic's SSB's gameplay, there is a hazard switch. interactive elements(Saturn Valley healing pool doesn't heal) and damaging elements (Gangplank Galleon cannonballs don't appear) are removed form the level (essentially making 3DS a better FD cause less lag online). Scrolling stages like Silph Co. and transforming stages like Skyward Voyage do not change, but any damaging hazards on them still go. Layouts don't change unless a removed hazard would have (Thwomp insignificantly changing Bowser's Castle).

Which one do you think is better? Both come with the removal hazards, one simply changes the layout while another doesn't.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
More diversity in hazard switch stages.
I think its fairly obvious what response you will get coming to smashboards where we don't all seriously believe in FD, fox only, no items.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
More diversity in hazard switch stages.
I think its fairly obvious what response you will get coming to smashboards where we don't all seriously believe in FD, fox only, no items.
TIn my other thread, the amount of peopel saying hazard switch was unneccesary and shouldn't replace Omega Mode was astounding. So I decided a vote.

Plus hazard switch is fun for everyone, casual or competitive. Omega Mode is fun for neither with soem exceptions. The various manageable stage layouts in SSF2 make me glad that omega mode doesn't exist, and these layouts vary to the point where Central Highway is only legal WITH hazards because without, the camping gets horrible since the outer parts aren't collapsing.

However, many of the layouts of SSB4 are either insane, or just simple, masked by hazards (Wily Castle). A hazard switch would not fix many of these stages, and the ones that do will get layouts that aren't imaginative, not to mention the detail in ssb4 is ridiculously good, so the various FDs look wonderful. As a result, both systems work better for their respective games than the other, but one is clearly better imo, and that;s the one that gives freedom. NOBODY likes No Items except Bananas, Diddy Fox only, Smashville Final Destination.

Last edited:

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
While Omega Mode gives interesting takes on stages (visually, not in a competitive function) , Hazard Switch would make banned stages like Magicant fair. I still voted both, because I wouldn't want one over the other.

_gold_

Smash Master
I only play omega stages for that very reason, to avoid the hazards. Playing only omega stages can get boring, so being able to turn off hazards, and still be enjoying the original stage would be a nice touch.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm not sure; I haven't played SSB4 with a hazard switch, so I can't really judge.

That said, I would love an "Alpha" mode where every stage is made "tourney legal" but still retains the unique features/layout of that stage. I guess that would be something the "Project M" of this game would do.

Khao

Smash Lord
There are a few stages that are absolutely ruined by the obstrusive hazards when they are otherwise very fun and enjoyable.

I would love to play in Wily Castle with all the moving platforms and stuff if it wasn't for the Yellow Devil taking over the entire stage literally once every minute.

I wouldn't mind a version of Jungle Hijinxs that doesn't have the floor dissapearing all the time either.

Last edited:
Flat stages are the most objective way to do it. Sure, there could be a hazard switch, but you'd still have people bothered by the terrain's features, like walk-offs, awkwardly shaped edge lips, caves of life, etc, even with the "hazards" disabled. Sometimes the real hazards are the innocuous things like the spinning blocks in Melee Yoshi's Island.

Though, I'd be all for Battlefield-esque layouts in addition to FD forms, for the characters who benefit (or don't) from platform play.

Last edited:

Pusha

Smash Rookie
I think the omega stages shouldn't all be FD style. They should all be simple platforms or FD but there should still be some variety

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
The only stages I would see benefiting from a hazard switch are:

- Jungle Hijinx (no accessibility to background)
- Duck Hunt (no ducks/dog)
- Game & Wario (no mom, fixed layout?)
- Wily's Castle (no Yellow Devil, but keep the moving platforms because I love those)
- Pyrosphere (no Ridley and other enemies)
- Mario Circuit (no Shy Guys)
- Garden of Hope (no indestructible objects/terrain, no aristocrab)
- Pilotwings (no damage from background, not sure about tilting?)
- Kalos Pokemon League (no legendaries, no damaging sword, no fire pillars, no water rushing, no dragon)
- Windy Hill (no spring)
- Mushroom Kingdom U (no Nabbit, no icicles, not sure about beanstalk, conveyor platforms, and orange blocks)
- Skyloft (no damage from background)
- Wrecking Crew (no bombs)
- Wuhu Island (uh... can't recall the hazards here)
- Port Town Aero Dive (grabbable main platform, no cars)
- Castle Siege (no breakable statues)
- Skyworld (no breakable platforms)
- Halberd (no cannon, no arm, no laser)
- Norfair (no lava)
- Pokemon Stadium 2 (no wind, no conveyor belts)

I intentionally left out stages like Wii Fit Studio, Coliseum, Flat Zone X, and Mario Circuit (Brawl) due to their permanent walkoffs. Same with very large stages such as Gaur Plains and 75m, which, even without hazards, won't be great for competitive play. I also ignored Smashville's and Town & City's balloons, which aren't really hazards anyways.

These are mostly based on what interactive or dynamic elements are in the stage that can disrupt matches, such as things that can harm you or change affect the stage in some way.

Out of all these stages, I'd love to see a hazardless Jungle Hijinx, Wily's Castle, Pyrosphere, Kalos, Mushroom Kingdom U, Norfair, and Pokemon Stadium 2. I love their platform layouts.

So yeah, hazard switches would be awesome. But I'm okay with Omegas too - it's nice to see variety in FD.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
A mixture of both, but yes to Hazard switches. There are some good stages turned bad with hazards obviously, and it's been explained before. My problem with Omegas is that it's basically an FD with different edge properties, and characters that benefit on the stage can thrive on it (like Mac), with the walled ones giving those with wall jumps and wall cling a greater advantage. I would want to see diversity, and that's why I wished there were at least Battlefield versions of stages since hazard switches weren't put in.

But at least there's an Omega Palutena's Temple, since I love that place.

_gold_

Smash Master
I suppose omega stages sometimes do serve as a toggle for hazards. For example, Pyrosphere and Wily's Castle. From what I can tell, the omega version of these stages are the same as the original, but excluding the hazards (Ridley and the Yellow Devil). So I guess you could say there is a hazard switch.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I suppose omega stages sometimes do serve as a toggle for hazards. For example, Pyrosphere and Wily's Castle. From what I can tell, the omega version of these stages are the same as the original, but excluding the hazards (Ridley and the Yellow Devil). So I guess you could say there is a hazard switch.
Pyrosphere is shortened and the side platforms gone. But this is how I would make it:

Omega mode changes the layout to FD, but maintains all hazards that are neither ridculous(Flying Man, so OP that it's 3D model OHKOed your 3DS), unable to fit on FD (Spirit Train's everything). So Wily Castle would maintain it's platforms, Brawl Circuit could keep the Shy Guys. For example, the Kals water would pour form the side, zooming so fast that the fall speed of it is lowered so it can get from the blastline to the stage, to the other blastline at the exact same height, without the tunnel of water.

Hazard Switch would remove all hazards, even the ones from scenery.

I think this is objectively better, because if you want the now Omega Mode, just turn both on. That way you can keep hazards while fighting on a plain stage.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I personally like Omega, but I agree that a hazard switch would be very nice, and would probably be better than Omega.

Personally however, I'd love to see something like an Alpha mode, where all the stages are Battlefield, and would be very nice if they did that, and implemented Alpha into For Glory.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Omega Mode adds a lot of thematic variety to Final Destination's layout, which is great. But I'd also love a hazard switch for more functional variety.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Hazard only because Omega is kinda pointless considering FD is a thing and FD isn't even the most balanced stage. A cycle of FD/Battlefield/Smashville (maybe some others) would be god though.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
Guys what if we made a petition to nintendo to make the stage hazzards off ??? its not entarely imposible, remember the vectoring before the balanced patch? we manage to convince nintendo to bring DI back, so it is posible rigth?

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I don't think that a hazard switch would help much or be necessary. If I wanted to play a stage that doesn't have any hazards, then I would play one that didn't have hazards to begin with. Also, I personally didn't have any problems with many of the types of stage hazards and I think that those make the stages more unique. A lot of the hazards have certain warnings that indicate when they'll occur and aren't that hard to deal with.

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
I don't think that a hazard switch would help much or be necessary. If I wanted to play a stage that doesn't have any hazards, then I would play one that didn't have hazards to begin with. Also, I personally didn't have any problems with many of the types of stage hazards and I think that those make the stages more unique. A lot of the hazards have certain warnings that indicate when they'll occur and aren't that hard to deal with.
For us who play the smash bros series very often, we still like stage diversity and really wish to have it, but we also want to keep fight interruptions to a minimum.

Of course the hazard switch is not necessary, but most of us would prefer it over the omega mode.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Since we have Omega Mode for Final Destination style stages, I'd love to have Alpha Mode for Battlefield style stages. I'll take what we've got, though, it's better than nothing.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Since we have Omega Mode for Final Destination style stages, I'd love to have Alpha Mode for Battlefield style stages. I'll take what we've got, though, it's better than nothing.
I concur. I've been hoping this will be a free patch or DLC option for a while. I'm 90% certain it won't happen, but I can dream.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'd rather have Alpha mode be a "legalization" (remove walk-offs, hazards, and other disruptive features for competitive play) than Omega 2.0. Layout variety > Battlefield skin variety in my book, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd rather have Alpha mode be a "legalization" (remove walk-offs, hazards, and other disruptive features for competitive play) than Omega 2.0. Layout variety > Battlefield skin variety in my book, but that's just me.
Or, y'know, just have both. Everybody wins!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Or, y'know, just have both. Everybody wins!
Well, there's only so many things they can do at a time, development-wise (plus, the bar on the bottom of 8 Player Smash stage selection only has room for about one more it seems like). Besides, the thread is asking which one you would rather have. Ideally, though, both would be in the game.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, there's only so many things they can do at a time, development-wise (plus, the bar on the bottom of 8 Player Smash stage selection only has room for about one more it seems like). Besides, the thread is asking which one you would rather have. Ideally, though, both would be in the game.
It's all hypothetical. Hypothetically, anything and everything is possible.

There's also an option for both in the poll. So I chose that for the sake of diversity.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Uh, it shouldn't be a bar on the bottom. it should be an option in the rules like in SSF2.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Uh, it shouldn't be a bar on the bottom. it should be an option in the rules like in SSF2.
I think it should be how it is in regular stage select (hit X to toggle it), but it's a bar at the bottom like custom stages are in the regular mode for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with how the regular and Omega stage lists for 8 Player Smash are different?

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I think it should be how it is in regular stage select (hit X to toggle it), but it's a bar at the bottom like custom stages are in the regular mode for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with how the regular and Omega stage lists for 8 Player Smash are different?
It wouldn't be good because Omega actually changes the stages, while Hazard Switch would be a rule, as it isn't so drastic.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It wouldn't be good because Omega actually changes the stages, while Hazard Switch would be a rule, as it isn't so drastic.
Oh, I thought you meant the Omega forms. Yeah, Hazard Switch would probably be better as a rule (especially if Omegas, Battlefield forms, and competitization are taking up the X button :p).

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
For us who play the smash bros series very often, we still like stage diversity and really wish to have it, but we also want to keep fight interruptions to a minimum.

Of course the hazard switch is not necessary, but most of us would prefer it over the omega mode.
However, quite a handful of stages wouldn't really benefit from a hazard switch. For examples, the Kalos Pokémon League would not benefit from a hazard switch at all. All of the stage's transformations have very similar platform layouts, so if you try to remove the hazards, then you're left with one main platform with two smaller platform on each side that may only slightly change their position after the stage transforms. If I wanted a platform layout like that, then I could have chosen the Town and City stage instead.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Stage hazards are way more fun than playing those in their Omega forms, which I find boring.
Though the only stages I play in their FD forms are the big stages like Palutena's Temple.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
However, quite a handful of stages wouldn't really benefit from a hazard switch. For examples, the Kalos Pokémon League would not benefit from a hazard switch at all. All of the stage's transformations have very similar platform layouts, so if you try to remove the hazards, you're left with one main platform with two smaller platform on each side that may only slightly change their position after the stage transforms. If I wanted a platform layout like that, then I could have chosen the Town and City stage instead.
And almost no stage benefits from Omega Mode, because with hazard switch we'd have enough FDs. Or even one FD is enough. The stages that are bannable by layout are the only exceptions.

Or, you know, you could have BOTH features.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If we could turn off hazards/transformations, that would be so very useful.
Having Omega forms is a nice touch, but it's not what we could use. If every Omega form was strictly just a re-skinned FD (Same Collide-Boxes, Blast-Zones, and general properties) then I'd like it more. Not to mention, if they made other forms like one for Battlefield and one for Smashville, that'd be great.
I was really hoping that they had a hazard switch of some sort, but for some reason nintendo is scared to listen to their fans, as though us getting what we'd like is a bad thing. It is when you're talking to kids and idiots, but if the smash fans as a whole came to a decision, it would be great to see Nintendo actually LISTEN. But alas, they won't. \(-.-)/

What ya gonna do.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
And almost no stage benefits from Omega Mode, because with hazard switch we'd have enough FDs. Or even one FD is enough. The stages that are bannable by layout are the only exceptions.

Or, you know, you could have BOTH features.
The point of Omega mode is to have a Final Destination version of each stage. The Omega forms are mainly versions of Final Destination with minor visual differences or it can be a different type of Final Destination like the Omega version of Mario Galaxy.

I've given an example of one stage arguably becoming worse due to a hazard switch. A hazard switch would also do very little to stages like Delfino Plaza.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We kinda do have a hazard switch although its only accessible in 8 player Smash and only if you have 5+ players fighting each other. It would be nice to have one as a proper option though.

Top Bottom