• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hayao Miyazaki Appreciation Thread!!!

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is for everyone who loves his films such as Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and many more!!!

Currently I'm listening to the Howl's Moving Castle theme song!!!

Sooooo gooood!!!

:colorful:

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vanz: ROFL, did you just happen to be viewing this board or did you search for recent posts by me???

;)

Threads by me are very rare as is and if you like anime at all, then you should check out some of his stuff!!!

It's sooooo amazing!!!

Flatsoda: Which of his have you seen???

I've seen My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle!!!

I have Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa on my Netflix Queue, so I'm going to see those soon (hopefully)!!!

Cia

das kwl
LOLOL.. nahh i clicked the "New Posts" button and your thread popped up.

and actually, i have seen parts of spirited away. it was pretty good from what i saw. :D

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've seen all of his stuff except Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea and Porco Rosso. I intend at some point to watch both, although I'm not expecting much out of Ponyo. Since Spirited Away, I've felt a decline in Miyazaki's work. Spirited was entertaining, but overall I felt it was his weakest work up to that point. Howl's was abyssmal, especially in comparison to his earlier stuff. However, I've heard good stuff about Porco Rosso, even though the premise seems odd to me.

Don't get me wrong, though, I love all of his earlier work unswervingly. It's all so incredible.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
ph00tbag: Hmmm, weird!!!

I like his newer stuff more than his older stuff...but that's mainly because I felt in some of his older ones, such as Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro, that there was little to no conflict per se (other than a short one at the end of each), so it was harder for me to be pulled into the stories!!!

I defintely feel those two are amazing films for children or younger audiences, but for me Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away were more enjoyable!!!

Though, I'd say my opinion is prob in a minority, as I've spoke with others who seems to feel the same way you do!!!

Wait now that I reread your post I think I misinterpreted it...so you DO prefer his newer stuff???

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I loved Howl's moving castle and mononoke! I'll have to check out those other movies too! :colorful:

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I've seeeeen

howl's moving castle
princess mononoke
kiki's
totoro
porco rosso
castle in the sky
nausicaa
castle of cagliostro

there's sherlock hound which i've yet to see

and he worked with his son on tale of earthsea or something, and ponyo on the cliff was his last movie

have to see those

Masky

Smash Master
I liked Castle in the Sky... and I also liked Howl's Moving Castle because I watched the dub and Christian Bale does the voice for Howl XD

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
@ QDVS:
You'd probably really like Nausicaä, then. It's got that sense of conflict, and a fairly deep plot.

Personally, for me, what caused me to dislike Howl's and Spirited was different for both. Spirited, for me, felt likeit was simply a less-than stellar attempt to do what Miyazaki had always done: create a child-like sense of wonder, but with mature themes and emotions. It's the same notion, but it just felt like he didn't attack the film with the same vigor.

Howl's for me just felt like, in paring the story down to fit into a 100 minute feature, Miyazaki cared more about creating mood than about making the plot feel continuous and complete. The ending, to me, felt jarring and out of place, like there was more to the story that they just didn't care to put in. Maybe that's how the book was, but it didn't work.

Perhaps these two are just isolated things, and it's just coincidence that they appeared in order. I love all of his other stuff, so two for eight isn't so bad.

I've seeeeen

howl's moving castle
princess mononoke
kiki's
totoro
porco rosso
castle in the sky
nausicaa
castle of cagliostro

there's sherlock hound which i've yet to see

and he worked with his son on tale of earthsea or something, and ponyo on the cliff was his last movie

have to see those
I don't like to include Cagliostro because that one was more the Lupin III people going, "Make a film!" and him going, "oh alright..." Maybe I should watch it, though.

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
I love Howl's Moving Castle. Mostly because of the music. The theme song "Merry Go Round of Life" is so soothing. I plan on learning it for the piano when I go back home. Also, Calcifer is the best character.

I've seen Naussica, Spirited Away, and Castle in the Sky.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah the main thing in all honesty that made be hyped about his films again was listening to the music from Spirited Away!!!

Joe Hisaishi is an astounding composer!!!

*insert appreciation for Joe Hisaishi*

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I highly recommend Grave of The Fireflies.

it's a really touching story.
Not going to lie, I've cried while watching this.

Not to mention everyone I showed this film to enjoyed it greatly, and cried as well.

It's just really really really good.
it's also from studio ghibli, with films miyazaki has directed. just not this one, but still an outstanding film.

watch it!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

Not to mention everyone I showed this film to enjoyed it greatly, and cried as well.

it's also from studio ghibli, with films miyazaki has directed. just not this one, but still an outstanding film.

watch it!
I want to see this film so badly. I just need to find it. I'd probably buy it without even watching it first.

Then I'll buy a bunch of tissues and Advil.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I want to see this film so badly. I just need to find it. I'd probably buy it without even watching it first.

Then I'll buy a bunch of tissues and Advil.
I don't want to suggest pirating it, but at least every blockbuster i've been to had it.
but if you can't find it elsewhere, do whatcha gotta do.

nevershootme

Smash Master

watch it!
man i remember watching that movie randomly for my intro to international relations class... be a man and cry about it! even writing a little report about japan-US relations depicted in the film. too bad i don't ahve the report anymore

Galeon

Smash Ace
The Ponyo movie was actually a bit disappointing to me (was surprised to see how many awards it pulled in) but I guess it fit his style.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't want to suggest pirating it, but at least every blockbuster i've been to had it.
but if you can't find it elsewhere, do whatcha gotta do.
I wouldn't pirate it unless absolutely necessary. Some movies deserve to be paid for. I also like the notion of possessing the physical object.

The Ponyo movie was actually a bit disappointing to me (was surprised to see how many awards it pulled in) but I guess it fit his style.
Rule #1 of Miyazaki films: no matter how disappointing the film is in contrast to his other work, critics will still cream their pants over it.

Top Bottom