• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble with shield watchers.

RuRu13

Smash Rookie
Especially ones that like to sit back/throw a lot of projectiles.

I usually try a lot of retreating Uairs. (It doesn't really stop them from shield watching, but it does keep me from getting grabbed) And spacing with the Whip. Most of the time it just turns into me running and keeping them back, without really gaining any ground and advantage in the fight.

Any tips?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Bair is safe on shield against most of the cast, and it's a strong move that takes a fat chunk out of their shield and tends to shield poke well. I find it to be really effective when all they do is shield.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You will never land jabx1 dtilt on ANYONE who knows the match-up.
Mix it up with jabx2 pointdodge, and you'll get it more often.

But yes, your shield pressure options are pretty much dtilt, nair and bair. You can also cross up into late uair.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Jab -->spotdodge--> d tilt works well for me. The ftilt works too. And for the shielders, i usually keep my distance and force them to shield then throw a mindgamed grab in there. It works like once or twice a match cause grab is horrible, but i'd recommend it if you haven't used it before and you sincerely think your opponent won't see it coming. Try running past them then pivot grab.

RuRu13

Smash Rookie
The D-tilt is working wonders. Thaks guys. Now I just gotta mix it up a bit so I do get too predictable. Thanks again. ^_^

noradseven

Smash Lord
I pretty much always jab just once or twice and run away. or jab, spotdodge and ftilt.
Why would you ever use f-tilt if your in d-tilt range, d-tilt is faster, safer, and has better followups...

but yeah what ph00t said plus jab crouch cancel pivot roll away is p. gay ****.

Also what does your sig say I play then go to bed or something I don't know :(.

gianhuertas

Smash Rookie
The point is push your oponent spamer to the edge of the stage, then they would lose their spacing and u will have a chance to hit them :D

Ftilt is a nice/fast way to push ur enemy back, this works specially againts Spammers gamer XD The Dtilt is good too but if u are so close, your oponnent can shield grabin you easly, the point is take your

Try to use ur grab often against spammer, cuz they will shield all the time and roll back, the most zss atacks can be shielded and if u grab them u will surprise them

Good Luck

noradseven

Smash Lord
The point is push your oponent spamer to the edge of the stage, then they would lose their spacing and u will have a chance to hit them :D

Ftilt is a nice/fast way to push ur enemy back, this works specially againts Spammers gamer XD The Dtilt is good too but if u are so close, your oponnent can shield grabin you easly, the point is take your

Try to use ur grab often against spammer, cuz they will shield all the time and roll back, the most zss atacks can be shielded and if u grab them u will surprise them

Good Luck
f-tilt is punishable on block by some of the cast, and very punishable on PS by the entire cast and its 1 frame slower than d-tilt, and has 2-3 frames less frame advantage on shield, so d-tilts is almost always better admittingly f-tilt does have slightly better range.

if you are standing there it is a simple matter to side step grab on reaction its 16 frames, dodge has a 4 frame startup, thats 12 frames to react, THATS ALOT OF TIME if they are expecting it/used to it.

Top Bottom