• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble landing back on stage

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
Lately, after getting hit into the air and making my way back down, I've had a difficult time getting safely back into neutral. Specifically against sonic and Mario, any suggestions?

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
That's one of R.O.B.'s big problems, really. Especially against fast characters with solid juggling capabilities like Mario & Sonic. Several characters (Ness, Peach, Mewtwo) have a really quick short range "get off me" aerial to help stop juggles and we don't really have that. R.O.B.'s closest equivalent, and probably your best attack to throw out while decending, is Nair. You can only use it if they give you a moment of breathing time, however. Fair also works and is quicker, but can only hit if they're right in front of you. If you have a Gyro in hand, you can also use that to cover your decent downward.

One of R.O.B.'s most useful tools for descending is Gyro Cancelling. With it and B-reversing, you can freely reverse your horizontal momentum and mix up your decent. If you want a video demonstration, check one out here (but ignore the instructions for the most part). If you'd like to learn it yourself, here's a big ol' R.O.B. AT guide with a large section on gyro cancelling.

Other than that, try to also mix up whether you decide to air dodge to the ground (and hopefully not into the ground), attack to the ground, or burn your double jump and readjust your trajectory.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Learn how to gyro cancel and learn how to wavebounce. Mix those up and you'll at least have an easier time. Or, if you're like me and haven't taken the time to learn how to gyro cancel in this game, you technically could just go for the edge. Depending on the character, going from the ledge to the stage can be easier than going from the air to the stage.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
I find that Fastfall nairs work really well, as your opponent isn't expecting the speed increase.

Hit a nair and then immediately mash down on the control stick. You have to hit down AFTER the nair, in order to fastfall while nair'ing. If you fastfall then nair, the nair will slow your falling speed again.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I have a bad habit of fast falling nairs. I call it a bad habit because it is one. It's unsafe on block and will get you killed.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Yeah, I have mixed results with FF Nairs, too. It might work once. Likewise, using Dair or Bair to change your momentum might throw them off once or twice.

ROBs offstage game is probably his biggest weakness.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
His off stage game is decent if you're the one closer to the ledge, but if you're the one trying to recover it's really tough.

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
Yah I'm glad you guys brought up FF nairs. I do that often and that is my bad habit for sure. I definitely need to start mixing up approaches and falls. Has anyone found wavebouncing/gyro cancelling to be effective in approaching? Once I get a hit or a grab can go in and combo well and get them off stage.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I haven't gotten technical enough to the point where I can jump facing one direction, GC into another, and perform an aerial which I'd like to use someday to approach, but I've found fading back and doing a B-reversed or turn around special gyro very useful for approaching. It sounds so simple, but just the fact you're not initially facing them helps gyro connect more often. From there, you can follow up with laser / Dash attack / fair / grab.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Sometimes, against slower opponents, I like to propel myself a bit with B-Air, making them think I'll go left or right, then proceed to drift in the opposite direction. You could probably throw in an N-Air to hit them from the side, so they can't follow you as well. You could also hit them with your D-Air just for extra damage, and to pause in the air so an attack doesn't hit you (useful against Up-Smashes.)

With a gyro, you could press the shield button to drop it down in front of your enemy (don't do this against Villagers, they'll just pocket it). While it's spinning, it could hit them and buy you time to get down. Yes, they may grab it, but that still leaves you time to land. Even if they do throw it back at you, you can reflect it with my third and final way to potentially land...

Use your Side-B, Arm Rotor, to disrupt your enemy. I'd use this to punish a failed Up-Smash, whenever an enemy is charging a projectile to shoot when I land to potentially reflect it at them, (like Lucario, Samus, a silly Mega Man, so on and on) or for an unexpected move to throw out when you don't think you can outrange them with your aerials and need to stop them from attacking.

I hate being above anyone in a R.O.B MU, but remember that his N-Air gives him much more options than a lot of characters, too. ^-^

Top Bottom