• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having Trouble Getting %

KaosKirbz

Smash Rookie
So I'm new to here but have noticed that most Kirby posts that I see name mainly kill moves/combos, which I don't have a problem with. I can't seem to get my opponent into the kill range. If I land a grab at <10% I do the Gonzo combo (F-throw>U-air>something, usually F-smash for me) and get them to 35ish, but can't seem to do much more than that, besides slowly giving them damage while losing stocks. I have found a good combo of a ground canceled Dair to a F-smash, but that still isn't enough. Besides this most people I play seem to have reliable goto combos, just wandering if I'm missing something or the thread is lost in the pages or what.

This is getting long but my approaches also end up more along the lines of jumping into the ****.

So any reliable combos, strategies, approaches etc. that might help would be appreciated. Also any friends to help get me more into stuff.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
So I'm new to here but have noticed that most Kirby posts that I see name mainly kill moves/combos, which I don't have a problem with. I can't seem to get my opponent into the kill range. If I land a grab at <10% I do the Gonzo combo (F-throw>U-air>something, usually F-smash for me) and get them to 35ish, but can't seem to do much more than that, besides slowly giving them damage while losing stocks. I have found a good combo of a ground canceled Dair to a F-smash, but that still isn't enough. Besides this most people I play seem to have reliable goto combos, just wandering if I'm missing something or the thread is lost in the pages or what.

This is getting long but my approaches also end up more along the lines of jumping into the ****.

So any reliable combos, strategies, approaches etc. that might help would be appreciated. Also any friends to help get me more into stuff.
Do you have a video of yourself playing by any chance?

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Most Kirby's talk about Killing moves and Combos because Getting into a Good killing range with Kirby isn't really an issue.

>.> I usually have it the other way around. But that's mainly because his killing moves are predictable. But aside from that, there's not much problem.

Stop trying to go for Inescapable combos and things that rack up damage fast and learn to play smart first (which is what I highly recommend first if you jump into the **** that much).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160643

Learn the Basics first. It's a Good read. If you've read it before, read it again.

KaosKirbz

Smash Rookie
I don't have any videos of me yet, hope to get some up soon. I have read almost all of the stuff that is the "basics" and all the threads in the "Must read useful threads" list, but thanks guys, this should help some, my usual practice buddy is LuigiKing, who besides being a luigi is just better than me and has been playing a lot longer. Keep any good advice coming, and any videos are helpful too if you guys have them, i can learn very well visually.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
KaosKirbz, one very important question: have you looked at videos of other Kirbies? If not, go to either the video thread or Rate My Kirby thread (the second one also has what each person is doing wrong) and look over the videos, watch what each person is doing, and try to emulate it. (Hint: Go see Chudat's videos for a really good Kirby.)

KaosKirbz

Smash Rookie
I have watched some videos, didn't know about the Rate My Kirby thread, or at least what it did, that will definitely help. Have watched some of Chudat's stuff, need to find more and actually watch how he gets his % I suppose.

KaosKirbz

Smash Rookie
Just watching some more and from play and such, I'm basically seeing that Kirby isn't so much a combo guy as more of a kind of hit and run, just getting a couple of hit, then backing up, then going back in. Is this anywhere close to correct or am I just way off?

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
Just watching some more and from play and such, I'm basically seeing that Kirby isn't so much a combo guy as more of a kind of hit and run, just getting a couple of hit, then backing up, then going back in. Is this anywhere close to correct or am I just way off?
I can't say for sure about a general kirby, but that's defiantly a strategy. I mean, Kirby isn't like Wario with his massive air movement, but i guess he could utilize some hit and run tactic.
I usually try to follow up an attack with a fair or a bair though, so im a person that likes to try and combo.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Your best percentage moves are U-air, F-air and grab to u-throw, and from there just learning how to juggle. B-air is your universal tool for putting people in bad spots for free % and it does 10%-8%ish depending on weakness.

The best way to build damage is to space, be patient, don't rush in, but at the same time be proactive and make them move. They will jump into ****.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
>.> I usually have it the other way around. But that's mainly because his killing moves are predictable. But aside from that, there's not much problem.
I totally agree, getting them to killing range is easy, but actually killing them is what i find to me the most difficult.

As for this thread, i recomend simply going into youtube, and watching kirbys play. I learned all the basics this way.

Top Bottom