• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble getting the KO?

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you ever feel like you can't seem to get the kill? Not considering DP. (I'm on a 3ds and the input for it is near impossible for me.)

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
I didn't buy ryu for the 3ds version for the sole reason I would break my circle pad inputting SF commands, the wii u pro controller is a much better tool for that.

as for killing relatively early fsmash does the trick as well as regular SRK's after a whiffed grab, etc. strong hurricane kick kill reasonably early around 140% as well as fair and a strong jab

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I didn't buy ryu for the 3ds version for the sole reason I would break my circle pad inputting SF commands, the wii u pro controller is a much better tool for that.

as for killing relatively early fsmash does the trick as well as regular SRK's after a whiffed grab, etc. strong hurricane kick kill reasonably early around 140% as well as fair and a strong jab
Fsmash is good.
by whiffed grab do you mean grab release?
And hurricane kick, heavy jab do kill nicely but near the ledge. Fair gets pretty stale since that's the main move I use, but Ryu's pummels are pretty good. I think I'll have to use strong jab near the ledge more often.
I think heavy jab can net some kills as well. Needs to be tested though.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I feel this would have been fine to ask in the Q&A thread.

But Ryu's kill options are pretty strong, and plenty. Back Air, F-Smash, U-Smash, Up Air, EX Shoryuken, EX Tatsu will usually kill at the proper percents (~100% and higher), rage depending of course.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I feel this would have been fine to ask in the Q&A thread.

But Ryu's kill options are pretty strong, and plenty. Back Air, F-Smash, U-Smash, Up Air, EX Shoryuken, EX Tatsu will usually kill at the proper percents (~100% and higher), rage depending of course.
Oh I'm sorry.
I mainly meant this thread to be a discussion of its own, but I'll pay the qna a visit if I ha e any more questions.
As for what you said...
I find back air and up air hard to land near high percents.
f smash is great but I don't think up smash is all that great for kills.
Ex tatsu kills a little past 120% from my experience but this should be further tested on specific stages and different parts of the stage. And as I said for DP I'm having a hard time with the analog inputs.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Shoryuken with the special button held down for extra power kills very reliably at or above 100%, without needing the SF input. Excellent for reading rolls and punishing, but leaves you wide open if you miss. Though I did land a few nice kills using the double down-forward shortcut for the even stronger full power Shoryuken, I also ended up inputting Focus Attack more times than I'd like trying to do it. Light Dtilt -> UpB Shoryuken kills with low chance of flubbing the inputs, but it gets harder to land that Dtilt to confirm the kill on opponents that like to stay mobile and run away. I'm sometimes forced to just keep racking up damage and fish for the Bair in those cases.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
it seems Ryu's "reliable" kill moves, those that KO at or under 130%, are Fsmash, Bair, Shoryuken, EX or otherwise, and Dair if it spikes, or gimps if the opponent has bad recovery. Everything else takes longer to KO. Playing as Ryu you can expect to see opponents die at ~90 or as high as 150 or even greater if they stay out of Ryu's kill range.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
it seems Ryu's "reliable" kill moves, those that KO at or under 130%, are Fsmash, Bair, Shoryuken, EX or otherwise, and Dair if it spikes, or gimps if the opponent has bad recovery. Everything else takes longer to KO. Playing as Ryu you can expect to see opponents die at ~90 or as high as 150 or even greater if they stay out of Ryu's kill range.
Just a suggestion for you and others struggling because Ryu's killmoves barring Shoryuken are all pretty slow and difficult to hit.

Try out hard neutral A. This is Ryu's High Kick. It will kill near the edge from 100ish % provided you have kept it recently fresh.

It's more reliable as it's much quick than his other killing options. Has a good bit more range than Shoryuken too.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Just a suggestion for you and others struggling because Ryu's killmoves barring Shoryuken are all pretty slow and difficult to hit.

Try out hard neutral A. This is Ryu's High Kick. It will kill near the edge from 100ish % provided you have kept it recently fresh.

It's more reliable as it's much quick than his other killing options. Has a good bit more range than Shoryuken too.
right i forgot about that move. If the opponent is on the ledge due it's speed and non-commitment at high percents it can be a reliable kill move at the least you're safe at the most you get the hit. Probably need to use this more near the ledge. Thanks

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
right i forgot about that move. If the opponent is on the ledge due it's speed and non-commitment at high percents it can be a reliable kill move at the least you're safe at the most you get the hit. Probably need to use this more near the ledge. Thanks
Very welcome!

It also works well out of shield, has more horizontal range than Shoryuken. There might even be a combo that can use it, but the biggest thing is to avoid staling it as it's incredibly useful for kills against opponents that dodge well.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Light up tilt combos into heavy jab.
Anything other than this? Presumably the issue people are having is needing moves that can kill that aren't Shoryuken. If LUtilt connects then Shoryuken is guaranteed.

I wish I could test right now. The tip of Dtilts and anything that connects at a range Shoryuken would miss is what people need I suppose. Anything that can hit confirm into it that other killmoves wouldn't be able to connect with.

I wonder what the knockback on SFinput Tatsu versus High Kick are though... I've got a feeling an SF Tatsu might kill earlier. We already know all the specials can be comboed from various cancels, so that would be our horizontal kill option that utilises the same principle as everyone has been using with Shoryuken.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It's a matter of getting used to playing as Ryu.
On paper, he can get KOs stupiditly easy, and that's what we're all trying to learn and get better at.

Having trouble killing as Ryu is pretty much the same as having trouble landing a Jab on your opponent, which from my experience isn't hard when you've got a frame 3 Jab, BUT, again, it will take some time getting used to it.
Frame 3 attacks that kill at around 90% - it's insane.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Anything other than this? Presumably the issue people are having is needing moves that can kill that aren't Shoryuken. If LUtilt connects then Shoryuken is guaranteed.

I wish I could test right now. The tip of Dtilts and anything that connects at a range Shoryuken would miss is what people need I suppose. Anything that can hit confirm into it that other killmoves wouldn't be able to connect with.

I wonder what the knockback on SFinput Tatsu versus High Kick are though... I've got a feeling an SF Tatsu might kill earlier. We already know all the specials can be comboed from various cancels, so that would be our horizontal kill option that utilises the same principle as everyone has been using with Shoryuken.
Utilt1 to Strong Neutral can kill at 110%+ depending on who your opponent is and where you are on the stage.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think it's all about landing that true Shoryuken when your opponent starts a move that either just stays out there(Where true DP has I-frames and can bypass it with the right timing), or has really punishable moves which require learning the MU.

Top Bottom