• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having problems against MKs grab game

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
Someone I played in bracket last night seemed to almost exclusively dash dance with MK (never approaching) and Dthrow tech chase. I can't help but feel like this is a really common playstyle so I need to find a counter to it.

-Is there any way to shut down MKs dash dance camping? I feel like if I throw ANY attack out or even whiff a grab I'm going to take 50+% and MK is too fast to actually keep up with (at least for my ivysaur)

-What is the best way to escape his tech chase game? MK's dash speed is so ridiculous that it's hardly even considered reading techs

What are some counter-playstyles, characters, stages, etc?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Since Ivy is floaty, DI'ing up and in is generally the best option to get out, as it pops you up higher than he can grab. You'll more than likely get Nair'd or Uair'd or something for it, but DI'ing away will almost always get you regrabbed. MK is fast enough to cover basically every tech option on reaction, and the lowest risk for floaties is generally just taking an aerial.

MK has troubles with projectiles, and Ivy happens to have a pretty solid one. If the MK you played isn't good at perfect/powershielding, then razor leaf is a good way to interrupt dash dances. The only other way he can really deal with razor leaf is by clanking it with Dash Attack, which will also clank with pretty much all of Ivy's moves, even in the air (it will clank with any move that isn't transcendent). However, this involves a decent chunk of lag that Ivy could probably punish with the right spacing.

Spaced Bairs from Ivy are decent at keeping MK out since they are very hard to punish, even for him.

Not sure what else to say, I usually play ROB against the one or two Ivy players in my region.

Top Bottom