• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having Online Problems?

Sandy

Smash Champion
Kanemura of GameFAQs said:
These tips should help you connect to more people more often, and match you to people with better performance. This should make lag less existant and reduce the amount of time you have to wait to find matches.

A.) Make sure your Wii is getting at least 3 bars from your router. If not, it is too far away, and your connection will suffer noticably. You can gain more bars by readjusting your router's antennae, moving the router/console closer together. Alternatively, connect through the wired connection add-on through your router or directly to your modem.

B.) Make sure your Wii has been port-forwarded or set to DMZ. Your Wii is automatically set to NAT3, meaning you are being blocked from connecting to most other people. Make sure you are set to NAT 1 or 2. This will greatly improve who you are able to connect to.

C.) Make sure that if you are on a wireless network, that too many people aren't using your hotspot. Leechers or even family members connecting on the same spot can greatly decrease connection speed...ESPECIALLY if they are downloading/uploading large amounts.

D.) Change the channel on your router. Sometimes devices on the same frequency can interfere with your signal, which means a degraded quality in speed.

E.) make sure your router has the newest firmware. You can do this by logging into your router.

Below is a walkthrough for creating a static IP address fo your Wii, and forwarding the ports (this sets your Wii to NAT 2, which is ideal).

PORT FORWARDING:

Open your PC's web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 (linksys) ~OR~ http://192.168.2.1 (belkin) in the address bar. Enter your name/pass for your router. Default is usually blank or admin/admin (this varies by brand). You will now see your router's config page! Linksys, go to advanced, then forwarding. Belkin, go to firewall, then virtual servers.

In the boxes, open the following ports:

TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play).

Now, you need to create a static IP.

STATIC IP:

Access your router's settings and find the available range of IP addresses. (This is typically found within the DHCP information.)

When you find this information, select one of the available IP addresses and enter this, along with the Subnet and Gateway addresses, through the manual settings on the Wii (how to).

If you can't find the range of IP Addresses in the router settings, you can usually view them through your computer's IP configuration settings (see "View Your IP Configuration Settings" section below). Add "10" to the number in the last slot and enter the IP address in the manual settings of the Wii.

You will then need to enter the DNS server information of your computer into the Wii as well. To do this you will need to determine your IP configuration settings (see "View Your IP Configuration Settings" section below). This will give you the basic information for all network devices installed on the PC. Included in this will be the DNS Servers information you will need to enter through the manual settings on the Wii. If only a primary DNS is listed, use that number in both the primary and secondary slots of the Wii's system settings.
Restart the Wii.

To View Your IP Configuration Settings:

Click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your computer.
Click "Run."
Type "cmd" into the box and press Enter.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press Enter.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your Wii is now set to NAT 2!

The following are my sources:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterTroubleshooting.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineFirewall.jsp
http://portforward.com/guides.htm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the original thread on GameFAQs.

Good luck, and see you all online!
Hope this helps everyone!

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Brilliant.

I'm sure this will help greatly. Thanks for the repost.

Coolbgdog

Smash Rookie
I actually have no problems playing online except occasional lag and button delay. I wen to with anyone and I literally had a match start in 10 seconds.

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
I have a wireless Dlink router, I see no option for Dlink up there :/

Also, where do i change this?

B.) Make sure your Wii has been port-forwarded or set to DMZ. Your Wii is automatically set to NAT3, meaning you are being blocked from connecting to most other people. Make sure you are set to NAT 1 or 2. This will greatly improve who you are able to connect to.

dontaxp

Smash Rookie
Can you PM me how to Port Forward on a Linksys router,

I checked that GFAQS topic, and I have no **** clue on how to portforward

inTRANgible

Smash Rookie
Whats the range to open all UDP ports? 1-65335? Also just wondering what the point in 'Add "10" to the number in the last slot and enter the IP address in the manual settings of the Wii.' is for. Like why 10?

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
Oh, thanks. Well, I have a few questions still:

I have to enter that ite through my Wii? Since it says "Make sure your Wii has been port-forwarded...".

Also, I have a Dlink router, not a Linksys or Belkin.

Thanks!

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
hey dontaxp, small world? I added you but you appear in a "Awaiting Registration" state. I'm in RSC, btw.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
Since you did eevrything, tink you can help me out?
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-624/Diablo.htm

There's a step-by-step guide for forwarding ports for your router for Diablo II (you can change the port numbers to the ones the Wii requires).

Some points of interest (READ them BEFORE you FOLLOW them):

1) The gist of forwarding ports is the following: You go into the Wii's network settings and change it from "Obtain IP Address Automatically - YES" to "NO". You will then manually set the IP address for the Wii ("assigning it a static address"). You will then tell the router to forward the ports you specify directly to that IP address you assigned your Wii.

What IP address to use?

Technical Version: I usually stick with 192.168.1.1xx where xx is any number 01-99 (you can use others but this convention is simple enough for me). Remember that two devices on your network (i.e. your Wii and Computer) MUST have different IP's. If your computer is 192.168.1.101, your Wii could be 192.168.1.111 (in fact, Nintendo recommends setting that last octet of your Wii's IP address to 10 + <highest address currently on your network> (i.e. take highest static address on network like 192.168.1.101 and add 0.0.0.10 to get your Wii's address of 192.168.1.111). Furthermore, my router's address is 192.168.1.1 so the static addresses I assign will all begin with 192.168.1.xxx. If your router (gateway) address is 192.168.0.1, you'll be assigning static addresses like 192.168.0.xxx.

Simple version: Find out which other devices (if any) are connecting to your wii's router. Find out their static IP addresses. Assuming your computer is the only other device other than your Wii connected to your router....For WinXP: Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->Network Connections->Right click your connection (usually "Local Area Connection" but could be different) and click "Properties"->"Properties" again->On the list scroll down until "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" then click that and click "Properties"->Look at the buttons: if set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" then that computer's IP is DYNAMIC and you SHOULDN'T need to worry about ITS address (this is the same page you would go to if you wanted to assign a static IP to your computer...which you probably should for sanity's sake if you use p2p programs or multiplayer PC games). If not set to that, then your computer has a static IP and your Wii will be at LEAST 10 higher than whatever its address is set to. If computer's address is 192.168.1.101, your Wii must be at least 192.168.1.111 (so sayeth Nintendo).

If you're still absolutely clueless what addresses to use and you're pretty sure nobody's messed with your network and assigned static IP addresses to other computers/devices in the house,, use the IP address 192.168.0.111 (if your router's address is 192.168.0.1) for your Wii. That should be a safe bet.

You might need to manually set your Wii's DNS server address. You can find out what address to use by going to your computer, then Start->Run and typing "cmd" and clicking "OK". At the command prompt (little black window that opened) type "ipconfig /all". This will display your primary and alternate DNS's that your computer is using. Your Wii will use these addresses too.

NOW that you have your Wii manually assigned an address, you go into your router's settings and forward the ports the Wii needs (the list of ports is somewhere on these boards and several places on nintendo's support site) TO the Wii's static IP address that you just assigned it.

2) The first point covered the overview of forwarding ports for your Wii. Now here's the fun part: you might not want to do this. If you look at the guide I posted, it provides an in-depth explanation for forwarding ports: port by port by port...ad infinitum. I believe I read that Nintendo recommends opening ALL UDP traffic for the Wii. With most routers, you could easily specify the range (1-25550 or whatever the hell max is) when forwarding. With YOUR router, it looks like every port you forward has to have its own entry (IF THE CASE IS OTHERWISE THEN IGNORE THE REST OF THIS POINT). So unless you have all the time in the world, you might be better off opting for using a DMZ instead of port forwarding.

What is a DMZ? Think of it as a way of telling your router that you completely trust whatever internet traffic goes to X device, therefore you want it to allow all ports to be open to that device (that's layman's terms for a home router's DMZ, NOT for a professional network's DMZ). You will still use a static IP address for your Wii but you will not have to manually forward every port for it in your router's settings. Looking at that pic you posted, it looks like you have a DMZ tab on the left side for just such a purpose. After assigning your Wii a static IP address, you should be able to go to your router's DMZ tab and specify that host (your Wii's IP) as the DMZ.

3) P-p-p-p-power cycling (power cycling==turning off then on) sucks. You'll be doing it alot as you try to figure out different settings. Depending on what ISP you have and what method you use to connect to the internet, you might be required to power cycle your modem and router many times as you try playing with these settings. Remember: your settings truly didn't work IF AND ONLY IF there was no effect even AFTER turning the power off and on for your router and modem (sometimes computer but that usually isn't the case with WinXP or above).

4) There are just about a million things that can be wrong with your setup if, after assiging static IP's/forwarding/putting in DMZ, it still doesn't work. This especially applies if you have a Wireless router since more needs to be taken into consideration. For more information about these other possible problems, please please please refer to Nintendo's support site since they do actually have a pretty extensive library of helpful troubleshooting documents for setting up WFC on the Wii.

I hope this information is helpful to you and I wish you the best of luck. I DESPISE setting up networks and I sincerely hope you don't run into the same issues I've had in the past. If you want a better understanding of routers and port forwarding and all that jazz, I recommend going to portforward.com as it is a great reference guide that I use almost weekly. In addition to all the router guides, it explains the concept of port forwarding and some of the practices/terminology better than I ever could.

Hey, I'm a programmer; not a network engineer.

BFCSX

Smash Rookie
Trying this now, hopefully it will work ^^.

EDIT 1: Got error code 20100, took FOREVER just to connect to the internet, and then that failed, too! Before it would at least let me connect online... when I enter in tcp ports etc, do i do just virtual server or filers as well? help? lol

EDIT 2: That's it, Nintendo has to fix their own **bleep** if they want this to work. I've been to the tech support forums enough, they need to try now that I have over 10 hours of trying......still....woow.....:confused:

englishguy26

Smash Rookie
"In the boxes, open the following ports:

TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play)." im on virtual servers, but theres no ports that say 28910, 29900....etc...im sooo confused!, can someone plz help me...i ve been having really bad problems with my brawl connection, and lag... :(

Top Bottom