• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Have you played smash tour yet?

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I see it there... Filling a void that could of been... Taunting me... I don't wanna click it until I have done everything else in the game.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I see it there... Filling a void that could of been... Taunting me... I don't wanna click it until I have done everything else in the game.
Tried it and it was pretty fun. However, I think it would be boring with CPUs only.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Played it 3 times just to get my unlockable. I couldn't stand it. It's kinda fun, but unfair to the maximum. I wanted out of there fast.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Played it 3 times just to get my unlockable. I couldn't stand it. It's kinda fun, but unfair to the maximum. I wanted out of there fast.
If I see a "Clear smash tour with all character's" challenge... I might suicide.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
If I see a "Clear smash tour with all character's" challenge... I might suicide.
It'd be even more fun with friends. It's just... frustrating. You know how you have a roulette to see how many moves you make on the board? The entire mode is like a roulette. All luck and chance. You can even not be in a match because you have no fighters, forcing you to watch 3 CPU's not doing anything, having you wait until the timer runs out. IT HAD POTENTIAL.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah.. I'm happy to wait to do the unlockable stage for when friends come over. That was an ordeal, and I did the small map with the smallest amount of turns.

I miss Melee's Adventure mode. That would've been better. Just about the only thing aside from cut characters Melee still has to make me play it.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I'm playing this mode right now and I hate it. I wish Sakurai just put Smash Run in this version of the game too, like, at one point I had all of the characters I like (I had like, 8 characters)... then a couple of turns later and somehow I ended up with 3 characters I never play. I just put the controller down and let the CPU kill me, I can't stand this mode at all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Smash Tour is probably the worst mode ever included in Smash.
"I know! In a game centered around letting you play your favorite characters - let's make a mode where the point is to NEVER let you play as your favorite characters!"

Not to mention that it's somehow more unfair than Mario Party, which is saying a lot.

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
It's just poorly executed... The mode is obviously for the more casual players because it is all luck based, but the things that are going on are all so hectic that only the real 'hardcore' players could understand what's going on... If I had friends over to play smash tour, I would have to explain what is going on all the time even if we have played it a couple of times already!

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Simply the casual experience which is why I think it's included. I think he wanted to make "Look at all the crazy things that I put in this game, now have an entire spoonful of ALL OF IT!".

That is not a fun-fun -__-

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I've played about 5 games, and I actually really like the concept and prefer something like this over SSE (Smash is a party game, not Final Fantasy. It doesn't need a cinematic-driven story mode with clumsy platforming). I much prefer another mode that is built around the standard Smash Bros engine. But - I agree completely with Hayzie about the fairness. If you play with CPUs, just about everything that can go wrong for you will. The CPUs seem to intentionally target you at every opportunity, and it gets extremely frustrating. The last game I played, I had 7 fighters after the first few moves and was almost immediately knocked down to 2-3. By the final battle I had 2 fighters, the fewest of anyone (I still won, but it was still really annoying).

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Love it, haven't yet played smash tour with cpus though, but it's pretty fun with friends, many stuff happens ^.^. I find this mode very quick, turns pass by SUPER Fast.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, I imagine it is much better with people instead of the cheap-as-hell CPUs. Also, you do get a good number of collectables in this mode. So there's that.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely based off of Mario Party, but it's just way to cluttered, messy, and random for my likes. I may play it with friends, but it was annoyingly painful to go through each map with CPU.

Going through each fighting phase with the CPU immediately hitting you with the '100% damage' is insanely stupid

Makes me miss Smash Run a lot more. With friends, that could have been an insane party game.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
As a replacement for SSE, it's shameful, and yes, Smash should have a big, cinematic story mode with cutscenes and an epic story, but I'm gonna be honest, Smash Tour is more fun than I thought it would ever be, when you get over yourself and stop complaining about luck on a board game.

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
Yeah I really loved SSE and hoped for something like that in this one.... It makes me dislike smash tour even more...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For lack of better term, Smash Run and Smash Tour just seem...counter productive.

I mean, the point of SSB is to learn how to play a character, over time understanding their nuances and becoming more and more deadly with them as you learn their physics, hitboxes, knockback, combo potential, etc. Even the most casual players ever can do this and will get better over time.

I can understand wanting to change it up a bit, but I'd have preferred these two modes just involved collecting characters or items or something which you could then use in the matches rather than making the characters not play like how they normally play.

To each their own, and I won't tell people to NOT play them, of course...

And to be fair, SSE didn't teach folks how to play SSB any better, either. Fighting bizarre enemies that behave nothing like characters in SSB also wasn't very helpful...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I played it. It is actually really fun. It is a shame Nintendo refuses to let us play those cool extra modes with other players online. Ugh.

IMO it is much better than the tragedy that was the Subspace Emissary in Brawl.

Last edited:

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
I played it once and what i got from it is that you move around the board and just raise your stats. Its all about the end game when you face off against everyone.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
For lack of better term, Smash Run and Smash Tour just seem...counter productive.

I mean, the point of SSB is to learn how to play a character, over time understanding their nuances and becoming more and more deadly with them as you learn their physics, hitboxes, knockback, combo potential, etc. Even the most casual players ever can do this and will get better over time.

I can understand wanting to change it up a bit, but I'd have preferred these two modes just involved collecting characters or items or something which you could then use in the matches rather than making the characters not play like how they normally play.

To each their own, and I won't tell people to NOT play them, of course...

And to be fair, SSE didn't teach folks how to play SSB any better, either. Fighting bizarre enemies that behave nothing like characters in SSB also wasn't very helpful...
The way I see it, the point of SSB is to have insane amounts of fun with one of the most chaotic and occasionally hilarious fighting games I've ever seen. Smash Tour fits into that spirit nicely, and it's a nice diversion from the main multiplayer game. I'm glad it's there overall.

debugman

Smash Rookie
I find it's pretty fun if you have a group of humans playing. While some people are criticizing not being able to choose your character, I find that to be part of the allure. It forces me out of my comfort zone (Killager) and lets me take a crack at characters I don't normally use. It's not for everybody, but it's definitely a good time waster, and you actually get stuff (and experience) for playing it.

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
All this hate because there's a random element in an optional mode that forces you to learn more about every character in the game and unfair scenarios.

I personally love it, even if I get screwed in one of the minigames because theres a billion other ones and the final match can be swayed no matter how badly you played if you are good enough. Not as unfair as the RUN or CLIMB end battles in smash run

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The way I see it, the point of SSB is to have insane amounts of fun with one of the most chaotic and occasionally hilarious fighting games I've ever seen. Smash Tour fits into that spirit nicely, and it's a nice diversion from the main multiplayer game. I'm glad it's there overall.
The other problem with Smash Tour is that, unlike in a true Mario Party game, there's no "Bowser Revolution" or anything else to completely even up the odds at any point.

Throughout the turns, the best player of your group is STILL going to be gathering the most stuff, thanks to the frequent battles you have between rounds. When you reach the end, the best player is going to have 5+ fighters stored up and godly stats while everyone else has 1-2 so it's not even a competition at that point.

I feel like your average 2 minute game with items turned on has a much higher chance of allowing less skilled players to win than Smash Tour/Run do.

If I were Sakurai, I would've actually made a mode like that one fake leak suggested called "Tower of Smash" and allowed four players to try and go through together while upgrading their characters, items and whatnot in an RPG-style experience where they tried to get as far up the tower as possible. It wouldn't have required much additional coding, either, as it could've been done by having the players face increasingly harder matches with opponents that were permanently metal, giant, etc.

My group tried smash tour once and we were done with it. Like I said, it actually allows less-skilled players LESS of a chance at winning than your average item-filled game does.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
lol. Personally, I really enjoy Smash Run, and I was afraid that The Wii U exclusive mode wouldn't be as good, and Smash Tour has not made me too excited (from what I have watched anyway)

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
Smash tour isn't fun to watch, but I find it extremely fun to play, there is a lot you can do to control some of the randomness that most people here are overlooking.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I find it's pretty fun if you have a group of humans playing. While some people are criticizing not being able to choose your character, I find that to be part of the allure. It forces me out of my comfort zone (Killager) and lets me take a crack at characters I don't normally use. It's not for everybody, but it's definitely a good time waster, and you actually get stuff (and experience) for playing it.
That is true. This mode seems very generous with the pickups. I will play a round and curse the tv the whole way because of the CPU's cheap antics, but then at the end I'll pick up a few trophies, 12 pieces of equipment, 3 custom specials, a crazy orders pass, and 1200 coins. That's a ton of loot for the amount of time invested.

The other problem with Smash Tour is that, unlike in a true Mario Party game, there's no "Bowser Revolution" or anything else to completely even up the odds at any point.

Throughout the turns, the best player of your group is STILL going to be gathering the most stuff, thanks to the frequent battles you have between rounds. When you reach the end, the best player is going to have 5+ fighters stored up and godly stats while everyone else has 1-2 so it's not even a competition at that point.

I feel like your average 2 minute game with items turned on has a much higher chance of allowing less skilled players to win than Smash Tour/Run do.

If I were Sakurai, I would've actually made a mode like that one fake leak suggested called "Tower of Smash" and allowed four players to try and go through together while upgrading their characters, items and whatnot in an RPG-style experience where they tried to get as far up the tower as possible. It wouldn't have required much additional coding, either, as it could've been done by having the players face increasingly harder matches with opponents that were permanently metal, giant, etc.

My group tried smash tour once and we were done with it. Like I said, it actually allows less-skilled players LESS of a chance at winning than your average item-filled game does.
One thing that helps is that in the final battle, victory doesn't go to the last person standing. It goes to the one with the most points. So someone with only 1 fighter going up against someone with 5 still has a decent chance of winning. In fact, if they manage to get 2 KOs, then they would be guaranteed to win (assuming only two participants), since the other player could only get 1 KO at most. That happened to me during one game - I went into the final battle with the fewest fighters of anyone, but I won because I had the most KOs.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I do have fun with it, but it's not SSE. I loved Brawl's SSE. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I didn't really understand the hatred towards the story mode. Even Melee's adventure mode was entertaining. Now, it's just Mario Party with CPUs

I've usually been ok in Smash tour, but when the computer comes out with a "Start the match with a hammer" or something, it's frustrating. It still seems like the CPUs will target players, too, so I end up the first out a lot. Doesn't help that I'm usually stuck with a character I cant play that well (and I'm one of those people who prefers to be decent with many characters as opposed to really good with a few) and that they are given custom special which I don't know how to work yet. There is a huge helping of luck required though, and luck based things are by definition only fun when luck favors you.

I would have preferred a SSE mode - I liked the unlock-characters-without-having-to-fight-amatch thing they did, and all of the great cutscenes. Major disappointment that Sakurai didn't want those to return. I'm also missing a true Melee- or Brawl- style classic mode, since the new one is different. It's an ok mode, it's just not the 'Classic' mode from before.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, Smash Tour blows. Gonna hammer the challenge that gives me the Parasite Queen Metroid Prime CD because I can't stand that ****. Unlocking Pacland sucked too.

Before anyone says it is a waste of a hammer, I could care less. I have never really been much for being a completionist. The only challenges I ever really bother with are the ones that give me stuff such as CDs and whatnot. Stuff that gives me a more pleasant gameplay experience. Trophies? Meh. Mii Hats and stuff? Meh.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I hate Smash Tour. Both Melees adventure mode and the SSE were more fun. This is sad. I played it for the stage unlock and will play it a few more times for the challenges but I despise this ****ing mode.

Top Bottom