• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have You Experienced Sandbagging on For Glory?

D

Deleted member

For those who don't know what sandbagging is, it's the act of intentionally playing bad against another player.
Examples of sandbagging can go in the forms of:
-Intentionally not playing at your best with your character.
-Intentionally not playing at your skill level, whether it is with your character or not.
-Choosing a low tiered character, either to have the other person stand a chance or as a means of disrespect.

For more info, here is a link to it on SmashWiki:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sandbagging

It's admittedly hard to tell who is and isn't sandbagging, but you notice it when you face against some opponents over time.

I have seen two examples of this myself:
-I fought a guy whose main was Robin, but he didn't bring him out until our third game. The games prior to that had him play pretty poorly.
-I fought someone yesterday and they were playing pretty poorly with Little Mac and Roy. I switch to Ryu and they chose my main, Luigi, as a means of revenge or something. I was winning easily until the match came very, very close and I won. I switched to Yoshi, he chose Ryu, and he beat me (and was actually pretty good with Ryu). I then beat his real main, Captain Falcon, twice.

So, has anyone sandbagged you on For Glory?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I am guilty of sandbagging personally. I largely play ROB on FG 1V1 but if someone noticeably worse than me wants to continue playing I will bust out some characters I don't play as often for a change.

However I make a point of not choosing their character.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I sandbag relatively frequently actually. My main is Little Mac, but if I'm trashing someone with him I'll often switch to secondaries. Close matches are more fun for everyone in my experience, plus it gives me a chance to practice with less used characters. I'll also start with my secondaries a decent amount and switch to my main if I'm losing badly, keeps things more interesting that way.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Personally, I don't like to sandbag if I see that my opponent isn't as skilled as me. I personally believe that once I start giving my opponent 100%, then I should respect them enough to keep giving them my 100%. If I start playing either Ryu or Palutena, my main and secondary respectively, against somebody, then I don't tend to use another character against them.

abx

Smash Journeyman
-Choosing a low tiered character, either to have the other person stand a chance or as a means of disrespect.
Jesus christ, the paranoia is real. Literally anything I do is regarded as inappropiate.

As for the topic: At times I like to play around. When someone gives me a hard competition I usually stay with my better characters just because I do like to win, but I'm up for fun match ups as well, especially when my opponent is switching regularly. I had quite a few Fire Emblem battles with people willing to keep them going. If someone is loosing to me by a length but still up for play I like to use some characters I'm not as famliar with to spice things up a little. Didn't know that this is considered as sandbagging.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Yes, I am right now, guilty of sandbagging. Sadly, For Flory is just right now an awful cesspit of "if you lose or win you'll get flamed/disrespected". I'm pretty much not only sandbagging to vent myself from getting hopelessly bodied and wasting time in a friendly (that I thought I would be learning something), but I'm pretty much also giving most of these players just desserts.

It's not worth giving it your best only to get spat on (either as a lower level player who gets trashed up a lot) or outright gets reported (higher level players).

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I actually do that myself, which is a shame, but only against low leveled players I find. If I end up beating them countless times using either Rosalina, Cloud or Link, I just switch to other characters I'm not very good with such as the ones I used to play as (i.e. Falco, Lucina, Shulk, etc.). Of course, I try not to pick the characters the player was using because I don't want them to think I was being disrespectful.

Last edited:

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
Guilty as charge. There isn't anything wrong with sandbagging though, because if you go all out, you're going to win either way, so you just try something else and learned some new tech you wanted to learn from other characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

We all have and have been, at some point. When I do it, it's generally unintentional, or I simply lack the motivation (i.e, the person is delibirately spamming PK Fire with Ness, even if it's actually terrible). I generally, you know, try. However, being the nature that is wifi, not playing at your best/better is bound to happen.

Bottom line, it's annoying. We get it. But, hey, let's learn something that's actually really ****ing useful:

Don't give a ****. Don't give a **** about what others think, let alone some random person across the Internet. I try to remind myself this every time, and I'm slowly, very sloowwwly making progress at it. It does wonders. You'd be amazed at how much a person's ego holds them back- especially true for me, if not triple than most.

Play to learn. Learn your shortcomings, and rid of the things you don't need (this includes "toxic" sportsmanship).

, cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
Guilty of it, also had it happen to me as well.

It sucks when it happens cuz often my opponent is a major **** about the wins, like, I might sandbag but I don't usually start mocking my opponent and teabagging, unless they did something to provoke me into it first.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Guilty of it, also had it happen to me as well.

It sucks when it happens cuz often my opponent is a major **** about the wins, like, I might sandbag but I don't usually start mocking my opponent and teabagging, unless they did something to provoke me into it first.
Most of the time For Glory is full of people who like I said, live and breathe to whine/disrespect. Sportsmanship is way too rare and most of the time you'd find nothing more than players who spam the most annoying-to-deal with characters and eventually switch to Ganondorf or Charizard or ditto match you, win or lose.

And for me, it's mainly due to me being of a struggling skill level to optimally play well; it's these kinds of ****heads I normally would be sandbagging. "Why should I give my full effort for you if you're just gonna be a **** about the win in the first place? I'll just waste your time then if you expect me to give you a serious match just so you can laugh at me raging."

I've even gotten two or three people so far to instantly leave because of my sandbagging by literally spamming moves in random directions and aiming them at the ledge; I love giving most of these people a taste of their own medicine lol.

And to also state once more, I've pretty much have given up on improving right now; I'm in that "can't learn from getting bodied" phase.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I am guilty of doing it on occasion, typically after winning several matches in a row with ease. I try to play characters I'm not as good with or used to in this case, not just to make things more fair and give my opponent a chance, but also because I simply don't find it a series of completely one-sided matches with the same results every time in a row to be any fun. Curbstomping the opponent gets boring for me after several matches and I also honestly feel bad if my opponent hardly stands a chance, if any.

So yeah, I would agree with the sentiment that it can make things more enjoyable for everyone. It can also be beneficial to both players since it gives me and my opponent a better chance to improve our skills with the characters we aren't very good with.

D

Deleted member 189823

I've pretty much have given up on improving right now; I'm in that "can't learn from getting bodied" phase.
If you're looking into For Glory to get better, let alone by sandbagging (you, yourself), you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I believe I have experienced it a few times before, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

I even think I had it happen a few nights ago. The guy started off as Ganondorf and I two stocked him rather easily, and then he switched to Wii Fit Trainer and became a little tougher; however I managed to beat him after I switched characters so it was no big deal. Once he switched to Wario though, he was two stocking me with absolute ease and seemed to know every Wario combo.

Especially bike combos, and did them so well. He clearly wasn't giving it his all at the start after witnessing that.

As for me Sandbagging? Yeah, I've done so on occasion. I don't see the point in going all out on someone who seems either really new to the game or just screams "Young player" (because we have to remind ourselves kids do happen to play Online sometimes).

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
As for me Sandbagging? Yeah, I've done so on occasion. I don't see the point in going all out on someone who seems either really new to the game or just screams "Young player" (because we have to remind ourselves kids do happen to play Online sometimes).
Or if it's the usual type of toxic For Glory player lol, which I often expect.

Shin Bowser Meow

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinBowserMeow
3DS FC
4184-3865-2383
Been on both sides of that fence. I've been in a Kirby and Shulk mood lately so most of the time on FG i'm playing to understand the characters better ( esp Shulk ). Its difficult resisting the urge to run to my main, but i'm enjoying figuring out why I lost those characters.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Many people on FG would not be able to handle seeing my full skill so I sandbag almost every match. Though today someone managed to force me to use almost 1% of my skill in order to 2-stock him. It was a relatively exciting and challenging match. But normally I stay within about 0.1% of my full skill which allows me to easily 2-stock and sometimes even JV3-stock my opponents.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I always try to murder my opponents in as few combo confirms as possible, with as much style and skill as I can muster.
Some of them even appreciate it. I then make combo videos and zero to death videos.
This approach leads to very quick and isolated instances of sandbagging.

Last edited:

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
I don't think I sandbag a lot or maybe in some cases it's unintentional. I'm always playing at my best, because I guess people want to see the game's potential.

When I'm seeing that new player who only knows : walking and f-tilt, I'm generally doing the same thing for a while to show him that playing in this way doesn't work at all and isn't optimal.
This is the only form of sandbagging I voluntarily practise.

MajoraLink100

Smash Rookie
NNID
MajoraLink100
3DS FC
3067-9189-8130
We all have and have been, at some point. When I do it, it's generally unintentional, or I simply lack the motivation (i.e, the person is delibirately spamming PK Fire with Ness, even if it's actually terrible). I generally, you know, try. However, being the nature that is wifi, not playing at your best/better is bound to happen.

Bottom line, it's annoying. We get it. But, hey, let's learn something that's actually really ****ing useful:

Don't give a ****. Don't give a **** about what others think, let alone some random person across the Internet. I try to remind myself this every time, and I'm slowly, very sloowwwly making progress at it. It does wonders. You'd be amazed at how much a person's ego holds them back- especially true for me, if not triple than most.

Play to learn. Learn your shortcomings, and rid of the things you don't need (this includes "toxic" sportsmanship).

, cheers
Yeah I'm the same, I usually don't mean to do it it just kinda happens at times when lack motivation (but usually it's around that time that I go on for fun mode or something and practice with my pockets)

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I do it all the time. I don't intentionally try to make the other guy mad or anything, but I can't count how many times I've switched to Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, or Game and Watch, and went for stupid sing/rest combos, flame choke tech chases beyond logical use, and 9 hammers when a normal attack would have been a better choice. I get mental fatigue going 100% all the time so I need to loosen up from time to time.

Many people on FG would not be able to handle seeing my full skill so I sandbag almost every match. Though today someone managed to force me to use almost 1% of my skill in order to 2-stock him. It was a relatively exciting and challenging match. But normally I stay within about 0.1% of my full skill which allows me to easily 2-stock and sometimes even JV3-stock my opponents.
Any way we can see your final form?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I sometimes like to dumb down my play style to just tilting and shielding. When it works its hilarious. Seriously, try it.

It actually helps you learn when to attack and when not to.

Top Bottom