• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever wanted to say "I'm sorry" to a random player...?

CronoT

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0756-3494
I'll start this off by saying that while I'm not at Tournament Player winning level, I'm no slouch, either. So, a little background: I was playing against someone online in For Glory, and he was very good. We had four matches, and each won twice. Link vs. Ganondorf I lost, then I switched out, Ike vs. Ganondorf, which I dominated, then Zero Suit Samus vs. Ness, where I once again dominated, then finally Link vs. Ganondorf, where I got dominated. After that match, I left that lobby and came back in.

The next match, I picked Zero Suit Samus, and my opponent came in with a gold Sheik who's player name was Mike. Given that Sheik is one of the more powerful fighters in the game, and they were using a non-standard color, I assumed they were at my same level or higher. So, I went after my opponent like a runaway bulldozer.

It wasn't until the match was almost over, which only lasted about 40 seconds, that my opponent was NOWHERE near my level, and I had probably just ruined some person's game. I've been on the wrong end of a total smackdown, and I know howas demoralizing it is.

Anyone else ever feel that way...?

Richitt

Smash Rookie
I've felt the opposite, where I wanted to actually rage super hard at someone. Usually because the game in FG was super laggy, and I get caught by random smashes (extra points if it's a LM spamming all his smashes in the most obvious ways), and I can't punish properly or shield in time due to gigantic delays - and when they get the kill, they just spam the taunt like they won some big prize.

NNID
TheBeardalls
3DS FC
3539-9009-9936
I've only wanted to say sorry to a few players, but I always forget heir names. The characters, and the colour, I always remember. Instead of saying sorry, I use their character and colour to play the next few matches in honor of that player that I want so desperately to apolagise to.
I, personally, think it isn't fair to be grouped up with various different players of skill level. I'd rather be grouped with players who are the same level and marginally better than I at this game, because that's truly the epitome of competitive Smash. Being able to aim for the top whilst getting kicked down by players who're better than you, because if it weren't for those people we'd never really know where we all stand and the aim for the top gets stronger and stronger as we get better and better.
Never give up on this game if you strive for glory, because the worst is behind you all.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I played this skilled Robin on FG the other day, it was quite fun
However had to disconnect mid-match for something important and I felt bad:246:

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
I usually always get my butt kicked in For Glory, but, when the stars aline, I get a player who is worse than me and I just shrek them hard. I kinda feel bad afterwards but good at the same time because I know how it feels to get shreked hard, but I also feel good about winning.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'll start this off by saying that while I'm not at Tournament Player winning level, I'm no slouch, either. So, a little background: I was playing against someone online in For Glory, and he was very good. We had four matches, and each won twice. Link vs. Ganondorf I lost, then I switched out, Ike vs. Ganondorf, which I dominated, then Zero Suit Samus vs. Ness, where I once again dominated, then finally Link vs. Ganondorf, where I got dominated. After that match, I left that lobby and came back in.

The next match, I picked Zero Suit Samus, and my opponent came in with a gold Sheik who's player name was Mike. Given that Sheik is one of the more powerful fighters in the game, and they were using a non-standard color, I assumed they were at my same level or higher. So, I went after my opponent like a runaway bulldozer.

It wasn't until the match was almost over, which only lasted about 40 seconds, that my opponent was NOWHERE near my level, and I had probably just ruined some person's game. I've been on the wrong end of a total smackdown, and I know howas demoralizing it is.

I wish I had as much empathy as you...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I usually just do my best, regardless of how my opponent is playing. I hope that they can learn something from it and will pick up some tips and tricks by playing with me.

If I see that my opponent is noticeably below my own skill level, though, and they keep playing, I'll oblige them by practicing with a character I'm less knowledgeable of. I consider it lighthearted sparring all the same, so we both get something nice from it: they get to fight a player of relatively similar skill level, and I get to train with an otherwise less-used character!

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
When I get away with footstooling someone, screwing up their recovery and they can't make it to the ledge. I wince whenever this happens. It's always an accident too. There's nothing like having some intense games and it all ending with a fluke like that. I feel bad when it happens.

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
On For Glory, I was playing Pikachu against a Dark Pit. I gimped myself, and he started taunting nonstop; I'm normally a calm person, but for some reason, I got really salty.... (I guess that's the purpose of taunting, haha)
Once I took off his first stock, I decided that I was going to try for the most disrespect I could possibly obtain. When he shot arrows, I crawled under them. I would throw him upwards, shield and grab him upwards again until he got out of it, and avoided using kill moves. At a really high percentage, he started trying to KO himself by throwing himself off the ledge, and I followed and used aerials to juggle him back to the stage. It ended with a Thunder stage spike.
Gosh, I don't remember a time I've ever been so salty....

I want to say sorry to that poor guy @ - @

Last edited:

MrChickenNipples

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4485-0725-3171
I've always wanted to say good games if I have to leave, I was watching some Wii U Smash and saw that you could change your player name in For Glory. Why can't you do that in the 3ds version?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There are times when I do feel bad beating those who has no experience playing Smash Bros. If I ever find another one of those, I would switch to a character I'm not really good with.

2Fat

Smash Rookie
I hate the people who bend their character up and down like their t-bagging. I'm always just like there's taunts for a reason

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I hate the people who bend their character up and down like their t-bagging. I'm always just like there's taunts for a reason
Most people hypercrouch as a sign of respect or to fill in time when there's nothing to do during respawn.

It's just a fun way to acknowledge a good kill, and there is a taunt limit on For Glory in the first place.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
In tournaments, I would say sorry and try to make it up to him (i.e. he SD's by accident, I will too to even up the game). In For Glory, I have no sympathy.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Personally, I'd be more interested in being able to give the middle finger to people that taunt after getting a kill, particularly one that's dumb luck.

coolhandluc

Smash Rookie
The experience difference can be massive. I've had game where I felt I wasted my time and games where I felt I wasted their time.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
There was once a moment where I have fought against a ZSS and instead of fighting she crawls against what ever characters groin I was playing as.

I would attack her with a weak attack so we don't get kicked out but after a while i took too long and we disconnected....

Last edited:

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Everytime I accidently taunt. It feels so mean to me for some reason.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I once beat a guy on For Glory 43 times in a row.
He just wouldn't give up. I'm so sorry.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
The skill level in For Glory is not very high, so usually if I find a match where I can completely wreck someone, I'll leave after two matches (unless they show improvement in which I'll gladly stay to help them out). I take no pride in beating what is probably just a small child on the other end.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I've always wanted to say good games if I have to leave, I was watching some Wii U Smash and saw that you could change your player name in For Glory. Why can't you do that in the 3ds version?
I guess the logic was that only one person uses a 3DS while several people use a Wii U, so each 3DS uses only one name, which is the name you gave your 3DS.

Also, I'm not sure why nobody said this yet, but people do have a sort of system of chatting in For Glory where they change their name into what they want to say.
This makes it so that you can message "sorry". Most people usually just use it for the occasional "GG", but make sure you guys don't abuse it and say bad things. :glare:

As a side note, it's not completely fool-proof, since I'm pretty sure several people don't really look at the name tags.

Last edited:

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
i only feel sorry if i kill them with a move i didnt mean to do, kill them with a hard spike (Luigi dthrow spike combo i love it its just so mean XD), or by killing them disrespectfully example pushing away opponents off stage that i can chain hit with turnips til they die XD

but if they taunt all caring is out the window :p i dont know why but i hate when people taunt even they kill me while i have another stock and they are at 150% on their last :p

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Usually, I do not feel sorry for 2-stocking/accidentally KO'ing someone on For Glory. I feel that if we both played our best and didn't sit on the edge camping, then it was fair game.

Although, if a good player accidentally SD's, then I may SD as well to even things up.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Also, I'm not sure why nobody said this yet, but people do have a sort of system of chatting in For Glory where they change their name into what they want to say.
This makes it so that you can message "sorry". Most people usually just use it for the occasional "GG", but make sure you guys don't abuse it and say bad things. :glare:
Was this referring to the Wii U or 3DS version? I am only aware of being able to change names in the Wii U version.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
If I ko somebody in a really stupid way, such as gimping somebody with Palutena's forward tilt, I usually want to apologize.

As for beating somebody far below my skill level, I don't tend to feel that sorry for them. Admittedly it's kind of coldhearted, but I'm the kind of person who prefers learning in a sink or swim environment, and that has carried over into the way I play.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I once brutally murdered my partner during some friendly team battles with an extremely poorly aimed pocketed Shadow Ball. Like, my target had already jumped by the time I hit the button, poorly.

I had to kill myself to restore my honor.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I cannot feel pity for players on the other end. I feel like if I do, I'll end up playing bad. I know what it's like to get demolished over and over again, but I don't expect the one destroying me to feel sorry for me.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hardly ever feel sorry for anyone not because im a mean jerk just that because i main Ganondorf and he takes hard reads and dedication in when and what moves to use pretty much all the time.

PS: Also because he is the King of Disrespect and doesnt give a damn about scrubby mortals and just send them to thr Shadow Relaem.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I want to say sorry if i win because they sd'd or something. But other than that its fair game for me

Freduardo

Smash Champion
This one time, when I was playing.... on the other end the guy I was playing against was a really sore loser and after playing he got drunk and beat his family horrifically in a way that was the final straw and it broke up the family... and then the kids went through horrors in some forgotten parts of some other country's foster care system.... Then another time I didn't realize I was playing against a six year old with another 'father of the year' who told him "If you don't beat this guy I'm going to tan your hide" (Yes, he actually said exactly that) and then he proceeded to. And the kid suffered extreme displacement and took out his inevitable rage on his younger sister. And infants are fragile.... After the magical regret-frog of Kalamazoo showed me the outcomes of my actions I knew how badly I wanted to apologize for the wins I cruelly took in Smash Brothers.

Don't be like me, be careful before winning in Smash Brothers! (Especially if the username is something that just sounds unhinged. Like Freduardo, or Freduard, Or Frederator or any real variant of that, I guess. You know, as a completely unimportant example) Beware lest
the magical regret-frog of Kalamazoo
shows you
what you do!!

er... did.

Also when people SD! Oh man do I want to apologize, especially if it's on like a stage with a moving background so they probably just got disoriented for a second and wound up under the stage or its a team battle and they're someone with a bad get back and they just weren't paying attention when someone grabbed the ledge after them. So sorry when that happens! Or like when they do a taunt to open the match as a pseudo bow, and I run and hit them. Especially after the first time that's happened because I just forgot.

Other than that, not really.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I played against this guy called Starman DX. On Game 2, the game started to lag a lot. He asked me if I was lagswitching. I wasn't, I was even screwing myself with Ness' recovery :/ If you ever see this, Starman, please know: I'm not one of those people, but I'm sorry that it lagged. I'm even feeling bad for this :(

KirbCider

Smash Ace

Never make assumptions online considering you can be facing anyone of any skill level at any given time.

That being said, I honestly don't know how to answer to this. I wouldn't say it makes me want to apologize, but I do sometimes feel bad for it. I've been on the receiving end where I probably looked like I had no idea how to play to someone who seems like a Tournament Player, so I certainly know how it feels. It's very rare, but I will find those insane players who two stock me with 30% or below.

It's also very rare that I find myself in that position with someone else who is getting two stocked by me left and right. I know losing a lot isn't fun, and there's really no telling who my opponent actually is either. My opponent can be any age and just wanting to have some fun without knowing how to play at all. There's been times I've felt this was the exact case. One example being where I found an opponent who didn't even know how to recover (never used their Up B when off-stage) and played like they didn't know what they were doing.

At that point I'm honestly unsure of what to do aside from leave. I could always go random and attempt to go easy on them, but would they appreciate that or even know? I know I would feel insulted if someone took it easy on me but not everyone would feel the same.

At the same time, there have been cases where I've come across very spammy players who also tried to act like big shots, when they obviously weren't at all. At that point I don't feel sorry for them and feel like they have this coming. It doesn't justify picking on them, but I'm not going to let certain behaviors slide no matter what skill level you are. I've also seen dozens of players who try to be as edgy as possible with tags that seem like they came right out of Middle School that also try to be try-hards to the extreme degree.

I won't feel sorry for those types even though I probably should and ease up on them a little. So I guess in short, it's both a yes and no.

It really depends on my opponents behavior in the end.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
At some points, I just do terribly on Team For Glory, costing my team a couple of points. To think that my fighting was the cause of our loss is painful enough, so I've made a friendly tag called "Sorry! :p" to let them know that I truly am sorry. I hardly use it though, since I manage to do good against most of my opponents thus far.

Last edited:

BundleofNerves

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameGoober
Everytime I accidently taunt. It feels so mean to me for some reason.
I feel like taunting in FG will always be seen as laughing in your face because the troll count is over 9000. Especially since you don't know the person so it feels so impersonal, as if they've thrown a dagger in your back from the shadows then run away in a sea of people, never to be seen again. I, personally, like to taunt at the start as a way of saying, "Hey, how's it going?" and if I SD, as if to say, "Did you see how much hangtime I got on that one?" I'm not really all that competitive. I'll still try to win, no matter how many times I succeed in showing off my face to your foot style.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Only time I ever feel guilty is when I dominate someone's first stock, and they just . . . give up. Like, they just stopped fighting, so all they do is just walk from one side of the stage to the other, occasionally crouching or taunting. And at that point, I don't know whether or not I should finish them off quickly so that I can just leave them alone after the match is done, or just let them do their own thing, so that they can have some kind of fun in the match.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Around a month ago when I was fairly new to smash 3DS (I still kinda am) I joined a For Glory match for the first time wanting to practice as Lucina. He/She was a fg CF and 2 stocked me while I only took around 70 damage from him. During that match I really got the hang of Lucina and it was like I went from a noobish to a decent Lucina in 3 minutes. Next match he/she went as Sheik. Long story short, I did the exact same thing his CF did to me. Even though I felt really glad that I beat him I do have to say that I felt pretty bad because both of my kills were spikes and I taunted after each stock.

Top Bottom