• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have We Seen All The Starting Characters?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5

Look at the different avatars you can choose from online. See how first they list all the different icons, then they list all of the playable characters that have been profiled on the site so far, and then they start listing different Mii avatars.

But notice how all of the characters are together. If someone like Captain Falcon, for example, were going to be a starting character, wouldn't it make sense for his avatar to appear next to all the other characters?

The only thing I can think of is that you either have to scroll further down to select hidden character's avatars, or you can't use hidden character's as avatars until you unlock them.

Either way, that would mean that there are a total of 19 starting characters. That kind of kills the theory that there will be over 40 characters, because I find it hard to believe that over half the characters in the game would be hidden.

It could also mean that there is no Sheik in Brawl, or that Sheik is a separate hidden character.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I think it's because Sakurai took a picture like that on purpose in order to reveal no spoilers. I'm sure there will be at least 20-24 starters. 19 seems like an odd number to start with.

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
nah, the screen is probably accurate up to bulbasaur, but they definitely added the miis there in place of characters not revealed yet

Vividice

Smash Cadet
This set of characters would be odd for starting: Major characters are lacking, 19 isnt a good number to start an come on its BRAWL! only 19 characters on startup? No...

And
1. It is a work of under 5 minutes to rework this screenshot and paste some mii pics over the new chars.
2. You are assuming Nintendo is using a kind of final version for presentations etc. but this is not very likely. Such a version would be pretty dangerous/important and it is more probablz that they use downgraded version where all content which isnt planned for near future release is just locked or hidden.

So no there will be more starters for sure!

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think that if there were any other starters, he would have revealed them before this update instead of editing the screen shots. I doubt any of the screen shots shown on the official site would be edited. It's not really an odd number, because Zamus is a transformation. So it's actually 18 starting characters.

And it doesn't mean Ness and C. Falcon aren't in the game. They could both be hidden characters like they were in the first game. I'm sure C. Falcon's in it, since the F-Zero icon is his falcon logo. Ness could possibly be replaced by Lucas, though.

In this screenshot, Bill is using one of the Mii avatars. Those are clearly actual selectable avatars, and not just there to fill in the blanks for characters that haven't been revealed yet.

I'm willing to be money that we now know the entire starting roster.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
You can probably move around the avatars.

Notice how the Mushroom icon isn't even there.

Plus, when Sakurai did the Melee site, he put a few screenshots that Zelda/Sheik would normally be in and just edited Zelda/Sheik out because he didn't reveal ber yet.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Anyone notice how the Scroll bar isn't at the Top? =\

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
SubparSmashBrother
Notice how the Mushroom icon isn't even there.
Yeah, but it's not scrolled up all the way. There are clearly more icons above that.

Plus, when Sakurai did the Melee site, he put a few screenshots that Zelda/Sheik would normally be in and just edited Zelda/Sheik out because he didn't reveal ber yet.
I don't remember that, and if that's true how do you know Zelda/Sheik was supposed to be there?

I could have sworn that we found out all the Melee starting characters at the same time, because they were all shown in the same trailer. The hidden characters weren't revealed until later, though.

Piks
Anyone notice how the Scroll bar isn't at the Top? =\
Yeah, what does that have to do anything? You can still see all the characters from where they start to where they end.

Sinn

Smash Lord
It's still technically an edited picture. They did the same thing when they had the game mode update with the name entry thing where they didn't let you see the character select screen.

I thought about this for a sec, but I realized that since they're the developers, they could have easily done something even in game to make none of the unknown characters show up. I'm hoping that there are still more characters yet to be updated before the game comes out, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. If there's a new character updated this week, then there's nothing to worry about.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I dunno, sure it's possible that this is the starting line up (which is pretty good to be honest), but I can't imagine it'd be that hard to create a spoiler free icon screenshot just in case there were more starter characters to be revealed. He did blur out the character select screen in a previous update, so it wouldn't be the first time he's edited a screenshot for secrecy.

I suppose the main reason I doubt it is the starting roster is that I can't really see why Captain Falcon would be relegated to a secret character again. I suppose in the scenario that Ness is replaced by Lucas there is a possibility that the mother characters could all be secret, but I still find it odd that there wouldn't be a mother character from the get go like last time. Shiek not being there also raises a few questions.

I guess we'll have to wait and see:ohwell:

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I'm more interested in seeing what's on the rest of the screen. From the looks of it, there are about 15-20 more lines of avatars. Maybe we'll be able to use stickers. Or maybe the rest of the characters pics are down there. Regardless, let's try not to read too much into the updates. All will be revealed in due time, and it makes my head hurt when people draw too much from screenshots.

Coo_Too_Tim

Smash Apprentice
I still think there's a possibility for over 40 characters. In Melee there was 12 starting characters and 13 unlockables. There might be 20 unlockables in Brawl. Again we just won't know till Brawl comes out.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The icon screen is scrolled down a little, the Triforce and DK sign are absent as well, so they probably are on that hidden row. The question is what else is on there.

Prince Karo

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I'm guessing he just had the programmers disable all the characters that wern't revealed yet.

I expect to see at least three more starters. (one F-Zero, one Mother, one Animal Crossing)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Nah, I'm guessing he just had the programmers disable all the characters that wern't revealed yet.

I expect to see at least three more starters. (one F-Zero, one Mother, one Animal Crossing)
I must tell you, all three of the characters in your sig are ones I'm hoping make it into Brawl. Kudos~

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I am also worried that there might be only the 18 starting characters. Sakurai has blurred out images before, but completely rearranging them? I don't know if he'd have done that...especially since he could have easily just not shown the icon bank at all! It's not like it was integral to the update.

However! There is one hope. Notice that the scroll bar isn't all the way up. If you assume that it only goes up one more notch, AND you assume that the franchise icons begin the list, then there would be 15 icons to start with. But hold on for a second. Look at the starting roster. There are only 12 franchises represented there. Even after assuming that the Smash icon and maybe Animal Crossing might be selectable, we're still not caught up! What could it mean?

Sinn

Smash Lord
My guess for that would be Game & Watch, but I would have expected them to make him unlockable again...IT IS A MYSTERY O_O

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I dunno, sure it's possible that this is the starting line up (which is pretty good to be honest), but I can't imagine it'd be that hard to create a spoiler free icon screenshot just in case there were more starter characters to be revealed. He did blur out the character select screen in a previous update, so it wouldn't be the first time he's edited a screenshot for secrecy.

I suppose the main reason I doubt it is the starting roster is that I can't really see why Captain Falcon would be relegated to a secret character again. I suppose in the scenario that Ness is replaced by Lucas there is a possibility that the mother characters could all be secret, but I still find it odd that there wouldn't be a mother character from the get go like last time. Shiek not being there also raises a few questions.

I guess we'll have to wait and see:ohwell:
Agreed. CF won't be a secret again, especially when they have already revealed his icon. Same with whichever MOTHER character ends up on the default roster. I expect Lucas to be on the default roster, along with CF and the AC character. That leaves things at an odd 21, though. Perhaps Ness AND Lucas are default characters? That would even things out wonderfully. :grin:

Ditto.

Fabiano

Smash Apprentice
It's just a no-spoiler version.
DON'T worry, i'm sure there will be more.
I'm just wondering how they are going to figure unlockable characters with online play.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings

Look at the different avatars you can choose from online. See how first they list all the different icons, then they list all of the playable characters that have been profiled on the site so far, and then they start listing different Mii avatars.

But notice how all of the characters are together. If someone like Captain Falcon, for example, were going to be a starting character, wouldn't it make sense for his avatar to appear next to all the other characters?

The only thing I can think of is that you either have to scroll further down to select hidden character's avatars, or you can't use hidden character's as avatars until you unlock them.

Either way, that would mean that there are a total of 19 starting characters. That kind of kills the theory that there will be over 40 characters, because I find it hard to believe that over half the characters in the game would be hidden.

It could also mean that there is no Sheik in Brawl, or that Sheik is a separate hidden character.
No offense, but I doubt it. There's gonna be like 40 characters in the game, and there are 19 confirmed so I don't think you'll unlock more characters than what you start with. My guess is that you'll start with about 24 and unlock about 16. But this does mean that after the next character is confirmed, they'll have half the characters.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I still think there's a possibility for over 40 characters. In Melee there was 12 starting characters and 13 unlockables. There might be 20 unlockables in Brawl. Again we just won't know till Brawl comes out.
No. Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know what planet you're from. There are 2 things wrong with this.
1. Over 40 characters is almost impossible.
2. You start out with 14 characters in Melee and unlock 11.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Over 40 characters is almost impossible.
Wait, wait, wait.

You literally JUST said that you think the game is going to have about 40 characters. If over 40 is "almost impossible", then what makes about 40 at all probable?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Editedededed. Most definately. Unless Miis are going to be Brawl Characters.... Right... :laugh:
Well, by that logic, would you expect the franchise symbols to be playable characters too? After all, they are in the avatar list as well.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
We've seen the F-zero icon,Mother icon and anmal crossing icon so this means they're going to rveal a F-zero and mother character soon;)

Neko Godot

Smash Cadet
Eh, I think the character roster is going to be surprising, and by that I don't just mean what characters will be in it, but by HOW many will be in it. I'm thinking 40 at least, but Sakurai may possibly blow us all away by putting in 50.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If Ice Climbers weren't confirmed last week, I think they wouldn't have been in this shot. Simple as that. I honestly think this isn't the starting roster.

Ryralane

Smash Rookie
Also, if you notice on smashbros.com on Ike's update, Diddy's update, and Pokemon Trainer's pupdate, it says "Warning! Challenger approaching!" How does this seem familiar? Hmm...

It's not a starting roster because unlockable characters are on there. Simple as that =)
(That's also a solution to the getting unlockables into the online play. They won't do anything about it cause when the game comes out they'll all be revealed)

Edit: Changed 'page' to 'update'

Top Bottom