• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have the Majority of "Smashers" on this forum...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Started with Melee back when it first came out in Europe. Wasn't until the Brawl announcement that I played the 64 version. Brawl is my preferred game though. I think both Melee and Brawl has their strengths, but I have the most fun playing Brawl out of those two. Not sure what 64 has over either of them though, since it had both slow gameplay and a small roster.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not sure what 64 has over either of them though, since it had both slow gameplay and a small roster.
SSB64 might have nostalgic values or its differences in gameplay over Melee and Brawl. I still love SSB64 and I find it faster than Brawl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
SSB64 might have nostalgic values or its differences in gameplay over Melee and Brawl. I still love SSB64 and I find it faster than Brawl.
It is a tad faster than Brawl yes. Otherwise it's probably just nostalgic value as you say. It's much like Pokémon Red I guess, it's not up to standards these days, but it's fun to play if only for nostalgic purposes.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
SSB64 is what got me heavily into video games, and in particular Nintendo.

I'd just moved house to the opposite side of my country and was struggling to fit in with the locals. I spoke too 'poshly', and everyone thought I was snobbish as a result. I finally made friends with a pair of twins who had got a N64. I didn't know much about Nintendo video games but Pokemon was just taking off and I knew about Mario a bit, so when they invited me to play Smash 64 I joined them.

It was amazing. Even as someone who hadn't grown up with Nintendo(was raised on Sega originally although had played SMB2 around my cousin's house) I appreciated what a ground breaking idea of having all the biggest and brightest Nintendo stars beating the ever loving crap out of one another.

I was god awful at it, but we played every week for the next two years together, and likewise when Melee came out we began playing that on a weekly basis. By the time Melee had rolled around I'd gotten the Gamecube, and more importantly gotten to the stage where I presented a challenge. We all still join up once every two weeks to break into Brawl and Melee sessions even to this day.

Melee incidentally is my favourite, due to it's superior speed, but Brawl allowed all three of us to play on a level playing field and it's usually anyone's game these days.

Sorry to divulge, but I've been around since Smash 64, and absolutely love Melee.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I started with 64, played Melee and got Brawl. I prefer Brawl. All 3 are great games. I just like Brawl more.

Malion

Smash Ace
All you kids only playing the more recent games... it's sad.

Smash 64 is a good place to start but what about the originals? Super Smash for the SNES. It only had 4 characters but it was good... or just Smash for the NES with only mario and luigi but still alright. Those were the real classics that the new games always fail to capture the spirit of.

Quite a shame. Virtual Smash for the Virtual Boy was ok too if you like to play as mario and red luigi.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
I started with 64. (Although Melee was out when I finally got the game.) I'm probably one of the youngest who started with 64 now that I think about it.

I've played Melee and Brawl as well, and I think melee is my favorite. It's one of the greatest video games ever in my opinion. I just love it :DDD

I really like Brawl when i'm just playing for lols though. The stage creator was a lot of fun, and erm.. YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!!

I still play 64 for nostalgia. 64 also had the best aesthetic to it imo.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I disagree. I think tournaments would start to die out if the game had online.
No not really, other fighting games have greatly benefited from online play, its much easier to train that way. & Once players think they're good online they'd decide to try to win some money locally.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
No not really, other fighting games have greatly benefited from online play, its much easier to train that way. & Once players think they're good online they'd decide to try to win some money locally.
I suppose you're right.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I'd like it anyway. I have absolutely nobody to play Melee with anymore, so I play other online fighters like Blazblue. If Melee had online functionality I don't think I'd play anything else.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
I'd like it anyway. I have absolutely nobody to play Melee with anymore, so I play other online fighters like Blazblue. If Melee had online functionality I don't think I'd play anything else.
I know how you feel. :( I suppose good online would be a nice addition.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I only really started playing often in Brawl and eventually went to Melee after a few years, which I now prefer. Got to play a bit of 64 and some Melee really infrequently prior to owning Brawl, but nothing really worthy of note.

Top Bottom