• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have the Majority of "Smashers" on this forum...

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Only started playing through Brawl?

I have noticed in a lot of posts people only ever refer to Brawl and to me; is very disheartening.

When someone ever mentions Melee or 64 the Brawl Smashers are in an uproar for whatever reason.

Just wondering.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
From what I've seen it's simply because of people who say one game is better than the other. Saying such things easily start pointless, petty Brawl VS Melee debates.

I played Melee before Brawl. Although I found Brawl more enjoyable at first, recently I started playing Melee a bit more and starting gaining a bit of good skill. Overall I have found both games to be fantastic and enjoy them equally.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
From what I've seen it's simply because of people who say one game is better than the other. Saying such things easily start pointless, petty Brawl VS Melee debates.

I played Melee before Brawl. Although I found Brawl more enjoyable at first, recently I started playing Melee a bit more and starting gaining a bit of good skill. Overall I have found both games to be fantastic and enjoy them equally.
Like this guy said, it pretty much starts arguments that no one wants to participate in.

Why can't we just agree that the series is entirely awesome and move on with our lives?

Oh right, we can't. Because they're arguing over which of the two (Melee, or Brawl) SSB4 should be based off of. It gets irritating pretty quickly.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Like this guy said, it pretty much starts arguments that no one wants to participate in.

Why can't we just agree that the series is entirely awesome and move on with our lives?

Oh right, we can't. Because they're arguing over which of the two (Melee, or Brawl) SSB4 should be based off of. It gets irritating pretty quickly.
As a general rule fighting games physics are expected to be near identical between the games, and a lot of people were upset with how drastically Brawl changed. They have Project M now, and whether they are capable of downloading it or not, what's the point of bothering saying one game is better and risking starting a debate? Why can't one simply state they prefer one game rather than state the other one sucks? What's the point of the debates themselves? Absolutely nothing.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I played the series in order and loved each installment. Brawl is my preferred game.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is the most recent installment, which is precisely why a lot of people prefer it over Melee and 64. Once SSB4 is released that'll be everyone's new favorite thing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Only started playing through Brawl?

I have noticed in a lot of posts people only ever refer to Brawl and to me; is very disheartening.

When someone ever mentions Melee or 64 the Brawl Smashers are in an uproar for whatever reason.

Just wondering.
Keep in mind Melee came out just about 12 years ago. A lot of the people who played that have likely stopped posting here. Likewise, Brawl is almost 6 years old. So a lot of the people still talking about it here probably started with Brawl. If you are 18 now, you'd have been about 12 when Brawl came out. If you were 12 when Melee came out, you'd be almost 24 now. Very likely these people are moving out of mon and dads, getting jobs, and starting a relationship.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Lol I started since 64, and melee is my favorite. and still play all 3 competitively (and PM). Most of the people who get hype for smash four, mainly played brawl.

But if ya know you could always go to the melee and 64 fourms, you don't have to stay in one area. Since I love and played them all I bounce around from place to place alot.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
started from 64, played em all
love em all

bought a wii u in anticipation for 4
can't ****ing wait to play it

definitely my favourite game series
(just beating out mario kart and zelda)

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
I started from 64, I love all smash games in a different way.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I only played Brawl for a couple days, just enough to understand how bad of a game it was compared to the previous installments. Logged probably several hundreds of hours in 64 and Melee, though.

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I've grown up and loved 64, and I love Brawl as well. I don't have as much memories in Melee since I had it for a short time, but I do enjoy it.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a good game for what it was designed to be; Great even. it's just lousy as a competitive game as a result. It makes those of us that have nobody to play Melee with resent the direction the series is going.
If Melee were to get an upgraded port with online functionality the community would be better for it. In the meantime some of us resort to playing other fighting games we don't enjoy quite as much.
At least Killer Instinct is looking pretty awesome.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I'm not sure what this Brawl-smasher "uproar" is you're talking about.

There are three Smash Bros. games, and I'm pretty sure the majority on these boards have played them all.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Played em all, Loved em all
Started from the beginning and still going.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nope, I started Smash in the very beginning and Melee is my favorite. I just like talking about Brawl more because it is more relevant. However, a lot of people did start Smash on Brawl, it is nothing to be ashamed of though.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I started with Smash 64 somewhat, but I didn't own it. I loved to play it for hours with my cousin at his house. When Melee came out, I harassed my parents until they finally bought me a GC. The rest is history.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl is the most recent installment, which is precisely why a lot of people prefer it over Melee and 64. Once SSB4 is released that'll be everyone's new favorite thing.

Except the little sh*tstains who keep saying "I'll just play Project M"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My first Smash game was Melee. Received it as a gift for my 11th birthday, meaning I play Smash since 9 years ago. Bought Brawl in its release year.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Except the little sh*tstains who keep saying "I'll just play Project M"
Don't forget those scumbags that have the audacity to play Melee, or worse yet, the numbskulls that still play SSB64! How dare they not conform!?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Started on 64, bought a Gamecube solely for Melee, camped out at Best Buy for the Brawl launch, and bought a Wii U just because of the anticipation for Smash 4. I love every game in the series.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I've actually been playing Super Smash since the 64 Era. However, I only started playing it seriously (I.E. Looking at Frame Data, Tier Lists, learning various Advanced Techniques both general and character specific, and etc.) when I got Brawl and FINALLY found my main in Peach.

SSB was fun, and I mained Kirby, who in hindsight was VERY OP. XD

Then in Brawl I half mained Peach and Zelda/Sheik.

And finally in Brawl, I currently main Peach and Lucas, and Sub Lucario, Zelda/Sheik, Pit, and Jigglypuff.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I've played all of them the first day they came out. I like them all equally for their distinct reasons. 64 for bringing me into the series, Melee for its fast-paced action, and Brawl for its wacky online shenanigans.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Personally I started with Melee before graduating to Brawl. I love 'em both. The reason many people refer to Brawl in arguments and so on is that it's both the most recent and the one with the most content, so it has the most things to compare SSB4 to.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Played since the 64 era, played it one the 64 almost non-stop in my youth.

Missed the Melee train as the Camecube was about as popular as the plague here, played it on occasions.

brought Brawl, played that religiously until my TV gave my Wii the Suplex.

Honestly found Brawl the best simply because it had the most content compared to the other games, and because I don't play on playing competitively, the mechanics are less important to me when compared to content for lasting gameplay.

D

Deleted member

I've played the original, then Melee, then Brawl. While Brawl isn't good as a competitive game, I played that game for hundreds of hours and I personally prefer it over Melee. While I love all games on equal terms, I like playing Brawl more simply because I like the physics more.

I dunno what direction SSB4 is going, but I know that I will love it in the end.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
64 came first. Played it nonstop with my bros.

Melee second, same all the way.

Brawl too, but for some reason it didn't last that long. Maybe because we preferred the fast-paced combo-oriented game.

Brawl isn't a bad game, but I guess I don't prefer it over Melee.

P:M though takes best of both and puts them into one game.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I started with Brawl, and fell in love with it and Nintendo. I then went backwards, found Melee at a pawn shop and bought it for the low low price of $35, fell in love with that one even more, and then got Smash 64 through Club Nintendo as an Elite Gold Member. (And hopefully, a Wii U for Christmas to anticipate SSB4).

Since I started with Brawl, I'm more accustomed to it and it's gameplay, and it has a lot of good characters. However, Melee's a bit more fun when playing with friends, and Brawl's what my little brother and I play together. So, they're equal. If anything, I shun Smash 64 because I still haven't unlocked Ness because I'm apparently "a huge-a$$ n00b."

Renji64

Smash Lord
Played each entry in the series didn't release how bad brawl was until i compared it to the other games so i play the acutal good games like n64, melee and P:M even if it is a mod.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I played 64, then Melee then Brawl. But I owned 64, then Brawl then Melee. While I play Melee the most, I'm not sure whether it's because I enjoy it the most, or I'm playing catch up with it.

Top Bottom