• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have I gotten worse at this game?

Petewilcutyou

Smash Cadet
Yeah.. Im Guessing its true from what some people say. like, ive been playing the game for like 2 days and a half straight, but by myself, vs computers. normaly i would play my friend at the game, we would always be evenly matched, well.. after those two days of playing by myself, i went to play my friend again.. and i got torn up :ohwell: just a warning to some people that are like me. Don't Stick to computer players if you know you can go and play someone. yeah.. computer players can't get better, but humans can, but if u stick to just computer players, they're too easy. but if u play a person, they get better, and so do you.. im not saying never play vs them. just dont do it for too long. im trying to train for a tournament, and this just set me back about a few days

and if u think im a noob.. then thats cool.:chuckle:

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
ahh...ya that is common knowlege. Don't play computers and if you decide to play them then just get a lv.1 and practice combos. Now remember that cpu's. DO NOT DI and juggleing them isnt going to help you at all. What I like to do is just to the combo's in segments. For example if you play fox, practice the teck stuff ie. wave shine, drill shine ext. The same goes for any character, overall dont play computers!

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I have no one to play except the computer for the next month, so I guess I will have to get worse for the time being...

Unless someone lives in my area that wants to play (one can only hope).

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
well i would look in the reaginal turnament discusion thread. Im sure ther is someone that lives by you. Christmas break is comin up. maybe you could try and STD with some of the peepz that live by you. good luck!

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
Now remember that cpu's. DO NOT DI and juggleing them isnt going to help you at all.
Actually the higher levels do DI a lot -- they [almost] always DI towards you:dizzy: . Playing against this kind of DI actually creates even worse habits than playing against no DI whatsoever. Hence level 1 > level 9.
And real person (even your 5 year old sister) >>>>>>> level 1.

Petewilcutyou

Smash Cadet
Well, some people (such as myself) don't have friends that live near them. Or friends that don't play Smash. Or friends that don't use advanced techniques.

Some people have no choice but to play computers.
yeah i know how you feel. but i felt like i just needed to state that
:ohwell:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Well, you might have just had a bad night. I'm like that. Sometimes I kick ***, and sometimes I'm just not that good. And I never play comps.

This whole"Computers make you worse" theory seems to slide along the sides of personal mentality rather than a fact.

The reason why people say this is because playing them can makeyou pick up repetative habbits.But,doesn't the ability to pick up habbits lie in ones line of thought? If a habbit is picked up,your body acts unintentionally,but i believe that habbits are formed through the ego. majority of people think that the Lv9 being the maximum difficulty means that it is of the upmost difficulty without understanding a computers mentalit.The bad habbit is therefor created in the ego.

But,what if one has understanding of the computer?As one knows that a Lv1 computer can be beat with ease,cant we establish the fact that anyone can beat Lv9 computer?I find that the reason why these habbits are created is because this fact has not ben well established yet.

I think that if our ego's can establish the simplicity of a Lv9 computer,the less habbits we will pick up.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that was a little too deep for me to understand very well, but I get your point lol. I play comps a lot for the same reasons you guys do... My bro never plays with me, maybe 1 match a day if that's possible and that doesn't help me at all. However, I keep tryin to fight lvl 9's and junk so that I can practice my shining...(which I'm not very good at I might add) :urg: My bro used to win but today I just shined him to his death, it was funny lol. I still barely won -_-" comps suck!

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
I dont know. I practice fighting computer alot or just going to training mode and practice tech skill. like dash dancin and chain grabing and i notice my game go up... lvl 9 computers have never really made me bad in anyway, They actually helped my chain grabbing since they DI. I already had non-DI chain grabing down, So now im set bothways. They help aslong as you know what your trying to get out of it.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't think playing computers actually makes you worse...I believe that your skill doesn't decrease but you just pick up bad habits after playing comps for a while.

I guess you could say you don't play as well but I don't think your skill actually gets worse if you know what I mean.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
No I don't think your skill decreases, but your prediction skills (or for lack of a less vague word, mindgames) do decrease over time, as you get used to what the computer will do.
Like, a CPU will never run. So you might be surprised if someone does a flying Knee at you, and not expect it. Or, you just charge smashes while they walk into them, which obviouisly won't work against humans.
Stuff like that.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
No I don't think your skill decreases, but your prediction skills (or for lack of a less vague word, mindgames) do decrease over time, as you get used to what the computer will do.
Like, a CPU will never run. So you might be surprised if someone does a flying Knee at you, and not expect it. Or, you just charge smashes while they walk into them, which obviouisly won't work against humans.
Stuff like that.
Id say this makes the most sense in which how a person could pick up bad habbits that human players could exploit. But I still dont see how that would change when fighting a lvl 1 computer since what you said applys to all Cpus. But good point, I suppose thats why tech practice would be best.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Id say this makes the most sense in which how a person could pick up bad habbits that human players could exploit. But I still dont see how that would change when fighting a lvl 1 computer since what you said applys to all Cpus. But good point, I suppose thats why tech practice would be best.
Against a level 1 CPU, I don't (usually =P) play to win, and they don't really do much, so it's harder to 'counter' them like you would against a level 9. It's as close as you can get to Training Mode, yet still have a C-Stick.
Though a couple times a week if I haven't played a real opponent, I play a level 9, just so I don't 'forget' how to move quickly and keep the pressure on. Just as long as I don't get too used to the CPU.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This whole"Computers make you worse" theory seems to slide along the sides of personal mentality rather than a fact.

The reason why people say this is because playing them can makeyou pick up repetative habbits.But,doesn't the ability to pick up habbits lie in ones line of thought? If a habbit is picked up,your body acts unintentionally,but i believe that habbits are formed through the ego. majority of people think that the Lv9 being the maximum difficulty means that it is of the upmost difficulty without understanding a computers mentalit.The bad habbit is therefor created in the ego.

But,what if one has understanding of the computer?As one knows that a Lv1 computer can be beat with ease,cant we establish the fact that anyone can beat Lv9 computer?I find that the reason why these habbits are created is because this fact has not ben well established yet.

I think that if our ego's can establish the simplicity of a Lv9 computer,the less habbits we will pick up.
QFT.
Most likely the best explanation of all time.. that is amazing.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, I have no one to play except the computer for the next month, so I guess I will have to get worse for the time being...

Unless someone lives in my area that wants to play (one can only hope).

I'm in your near exact situation. I can play against my little sister who is not that good, but ok for being four years younger than me. I can also play against my dad who has played this game exactly twice. I'm not in a very good situation myself as far as playing against other human players goes. All I can do is play computers, and it would not be any worse than anyone else that I can play against.

KevinM, I like your sig just the way it is. Unless it's supposed to be part of the funniness, your sig does not need to be overtaken by funny quotes.

Farsightrx20

Smash Rookie
Mario-Man how about asking ppl in your school if they play melee

Then maybe even get enough to host a tournament while no teacher is willing to work and will allow you to use the classroom t.v like on the last few days on school for example.

thats what a friend of my did

we had 3 tournaments throughout the year during school hours,
and I ended up being 2nd place on the first one and
3rd on the 2nd one.
but by the third i lost miserably because everyone trained their ***** off while i ate crap with runescape

mario-man

Smash Lord
Mario-Man how about asking ppl in your school if they play melee

Then maybe even get enough to host a tournament while no teacher is willing to work and will allow you to use the classroom t.v like on the last few days on school for example.

thats what a friend of my did

we had 3 tournaments throughout the year during school hours,
and I ended up being 2nd place on the first one and
3rd on the 2nd one.
but by the third i lost miserably because everyone trained their ***** off while i ate crap with runescape
I'm homeschooled so that won't work very well, but thanks for the advice anyway.

Do you have to cuss?

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, my skills seemed to have improved during that one month where I didn't play anybody. All I did was play a level 9 CPU...

Misty!

Smash Rookie
In my experience, you get bad at this game right before you get better or to the next level of play. Or else it could be just raw suckiness.
Yes.. everytime I try to incorporate a new technique in my fighting style I end up sucking because I have to think about unnaturally PUTTING it in while im actually fighting but progressively after time things manage to naturally flow in my fighting, thus I get better. I remember the first time I heard about wavedashing was a week before a tournament and I practiced my *** off, then when I finally got to the tournament I recall myself doing a wavedash ONCE, and that was while the person was respawning, rofl. Now, obviously it flows naturally with me and I'm a whole lot better with mindgames and such.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Yes.. everytime I try to incorporate a new technique in my fighting style I end up sucking because I have to think about unnaturally PUTTING it in while im actually fighting but progressively after time things manage to naturally flow in my fighting, thus I get better. I remember the first time I heard about wavedashing was a week before a tournament and I practiced my *** off, then when I finally got to the tournament I recall myself doing a wavedash ONCE, and that was while the person was respawning, rofl. Now, obviously it flows naturally with me and I'm a whole lot better with mindgames and such.
Tis is true.... because I too saw a decrease in my game when trying to add stuff to my style I didnt normally use. After about about week my style had made a drastic increase it showed. So yea you could be better before the learning and adapting phases, and while doing so you may suffer some defeats but in the end the result is worth the adapt. Also I would never try to adapt before a tournament 9 out of 10 youre likely to do twice as worse then if you hadnt pratice at all, intesting tale though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Iv'e played the comp at level 9 after playing my freinds and i seem to get get better not worse.I beat them when i played them a month later.

How could you get worse?

Top Bottom