• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has it been accepted that the Gamecube controller is the best way to play?

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
I've done a fair bit of experimenting, and I think that these are the two best options:

1) Gamecube controller with Specials mapped to Y and Grab mapped to B , springs taken out
2) Classic Controller with A as Jump, B as Attack, X as Special, and Y (and possibly L or R as well) as Grab.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
might play with Classic controller or wiimote on its side,playing with the gamecube version is like playing Melee except with more character,better graphics and no wavedashing(what ever it is)

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
I find the classic controller to be too small for my hands. I'd cramp up within an hour. Unlike the wiimote and wiimote+nunchuck setups it has a "c-stick."

The Wiimote is impractical for a number of reasons. Inefficient controls, not enough buttons, hand cramping... the list goes on.

Wiimote and nunchuck combo seems good, but it seems a little awkward having to use certain buttons. My hand is too big for the nunchuck, so I can't really use both C and Z very affectively (I can't keep two fingers on the nunchuck, just one). My best option for this would be to move the jump button from C, over to the down direction on the d-pad, which would be slightly less awkward for me. I would also change it so that Z+A grabs rather than A+B, since I always shield grab anyway. Because I can't use both buttons on the nunchuck well, I'm forced to use the d-pad, leaving the controls feeling slightly awkward. As a less important side note, I have to go way out of my way to taunt.

The final option is the Gamecube controller. This has been loyal. I have no complaints. It's durable. It's comfortable. The button placement is nice. It has a c-stick (an important aspect that I think many people are forgetting). It's only problem with Brawl appears to be that the shoulder button has to be completely pressed unlike in Melee. This is very minor. I could easily get used to it. Not to mention, if I wanted to, I could just re-map shield to Z (which I probably won't do anyway).

I see no reason to use anything but the Gamecube controller (at least in my case where my hands are too big for the other options).

trevbang

Smash Cadet
I had planned on using Wii-mote + Nunchuck. I'll have to see when I actually get it though. I think it might be a little bit short on buttons.

lengeta

Smash Ace
(sorry if I'm repeating, I skipped all the posts)

The controllers are VERY customizable this time around so you can really utilize any controller you want.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Well, it certainly seems to be the most popular way (among many people, including me) and might very well become the standard, but I wouldn't say it's the best yet. It all really depends on the person playing and what's most comfortable to them.
Yeah, I don't think one will just be better than the others. It will vary with person. I'm gonna give the Wiimot +Nunhcuk a try and if I like it I'll go with it.

6uardianAngel

Smash Rookie
The Classic Controller also has springs within the shoulder buttons.

I don't know how people can make that a more viable option to solve that problem.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Apparently it's a fight between Classic and GC now. Nintendo hosted tournaments and the like will force Wii-Mote use, most probably.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
GC controller.

L/R Problem? Oh yeah, I always have been holding them all the way down to shield. >_>

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Apparently it's a fight between Classic and GC now. Nintendo hosted tournaments and the like will force Wii-Mote use, most probably.
And the big scale tournaments will force wired controller use, of which only the game cube control applies so...

yeah.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think all the pre-brawl smashers will use the GC controller. But for all the smash noobies, and pre-teen and early teen kids will probably think it's too old and use one of the new fangled (old person talk) devices.

ThunderHero

Smash Apprentice
I personally will be using a Classic Controler but I will try out all the methods. tbh though I dont want to use a GC controler as good as they are. New generation, new game, new controler.

Top Bottom