• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone tried..

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
Three things

1: Instead of trying to rack up major damage so you can kill with a smash, chasing them off the edge ala-jigglypuff?

2: Instead of using the ultra-****ty Dair, fastfall a Nair?

3: When someone is below the stage, Homing attack?

I think these would greatly improve Sonics game seeing as he doesn't have high KO potential with his smashes, his Dair is slow to come out and has low priority, and the homing attack is a piece of **** move I'm trying to save.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I guess not D:
#1 has been done. Triple Fair to the side in FD Look for the Video in these boards.

#2: Nair is crap. No priority, knock back, nor decent damage. Dair is a much better finisher (if it doesnt hit the ground)

#3: Yes the homing attack has been used as a gimp, look in the many videos and chances are you'll see this.

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
#1 has been done. Triple Fair to the side in FD Look for the Video in these boards.

#2: Nair is crap. No priority, knock back, nor decent damage. Dair is a much better finisher (if it doesnt hit the ground)

#3: Yes the homing attack has been used as a gimp, look in the many videos and chances are you'll see this.
1. One guy did it in a video against no one, I haven't seen anyone else do it.

2. Didn't know about the Nair, I guess he doesn't have many options.

3. I've watched a whole lot of videos, very very rarely have I seen anyone actually use the homing attack as a gimp.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Nair = free grab... just because it doesnt have knockback doesnt mean its useless...

*edit* and the dair is not a killable move.... the best thing about it is that it instantly stops your upward/forward momentum and shoots you down

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
Nair = free grab... just because it doesnt have knockback doesnt mean its useless...

*edit* and the dair is not a killable move.... the best thing about it is that it instantly stops your upward/forward momentum and shoots you down
Thought so, I knew there was a reason his Nair was decent.

I don't like the Dair, but thanks for at least contributing. @_@

Lunaris

Smash Ace
Yes to all three of your questions. However, like almost all of his other moves, Sonic's nair is easily outprioritized by most characters if they see it coming far enough ahead. It's definitely the most versatile aerial opener he has(it also has a sweet spot).

Sonic very rarely has anything better than a grab or dash attack that is truly safe to do without creating his own opening. Fortunately, his speed makes him extremely good at doing this; I'd have to say that in given at least a little space, Sonic is almost always at the offensive advantage in a grounded situation(since he is much slower in the air) because of how fast he can move and the fact that he is one of the only characters(if not the only) which has anything close to a Melee dash dance(aside from fox trotting/pivoting, which dont really carry the same functionality).

It's figuring out exactly how to use the opportunities you've created that's making problems for people with Sonic. Once people learn the spacing on his aerials and tilts better and such, and more combos are created(I've got one combo that is an ensured kill at 100% vs most characters, providing they don't DI right(whether or not it can be escaped with DI is thus far untested), I have a feeling Sonic will become one of the better characters.

Oh, and the movement, oh god, the movement. Not being able to do anything but attack and jump during the initial dash frames really kills a lot of approach methods most people will use coming from Melee. Once you stop dashing into people's attacks expecting to be able to shield or in general do anything useful at all(since getting into the air doesn't especially help sonic, he's not exactly Lucario or Marth), Sonic loses a lot of what usually gets him hit.

He's just too fast not to be good, honestly. People need to learn the rules for priority as it relates to spacing/zoning in the various matchups before he's going to get there, though, and that takes experience more than anything else(since hitboxes aren't something you can actually see(yet)).

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
LMFAO, LUNARIS. WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT SIGNATURE?!?

And wtf, you're interested in Sonic? When did this happen? Go back to owning with your ******** jumping bird, lolololol.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
I've had this sig for years. I'm afraid I can't update it for Brawl, as you can't update perfection.

Screw Falco, I gots new homeboys now. And bi**ches(ZSS, possibly Peach).

Colorado was one of the more awesome places on the trip as a whole, by the way. You guys have(had?) some awesome people there, hopefully I'll see you all on Wifi(although I imagine it'll be laggy at this distance...). If any of you guys have a copy of Brawl we could do it now, my friend code is 0087-1830-5547.

Top Bottom