• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hardt Smasher -- November 14, 2009 -- SSBB Tourney! -- Waleska, GA

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
It’s a Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament ‘09!!!
At Reinhardt College
(7300 Reinhardt College Circle, Waleska, GA 30183)

Delicious Prize! It's 2.5 Feet Tall!
Payouts too, btw. 70/20/10.

Glass House, Hasty Student Center, Reinhardt College
7300 Reinhardt College Circle
Waleska, Georgia

Lunch:
There will be a lunch break between 11:30-1:00 PM. Lunch is provided at the Gordy Dining Center next door to the Hasty Student Life Center for $5-$6, and there are several restaurants in Canton, 15 minutes away.

Schedule:
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Registration
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch Break
1:00 PM Tournament Begins
4:30 PM Pools End, Dinner Break Begins
5:30 PM Dinner Break Ends, Double-Elimination Begins
≈ 8:30 Tournament Ends

Events:
Singles ($5 a person)
Double-Elimination

Registration is $5.00. For questions, or to preregister, contact Jennifer Stogner at stogner66528@reinhardt.edu.

Registration fees will be dropped for those who bring in systems (Wii) and a copy of the game (SSBB). Only 8 systems and games will be accepted. Controllers will not be provided. Materials to mark your controllers and systems will be provided to prevent theft.

Middle grades and below are barred from participation. Case-by-case exceptions may be made.

General Rules
*All items are set to off
*The tournament begins with pools. Size is dependent on turnout. Who knows, we may skip it.
*Each pool match will be on an 8-minute timer with 3 stock.
*Bracket matches will be best 2 out of 3 matches on an 8-minute timer with 3 stock.
*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
*No player may choose the stage on which he/she last won.
*Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
*Championship game will be a best of 3, 5 stock match, with no timer.
*After ten minutes, if a player has not arrived to play his/her match, that player automatically forfeits that match.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set.
3. The first stage will be randomly selected from the starter list. Players may also agree to start on one of the starter list stages.
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches.

BANNED “TECHNIQUES AND INFINITES”

>>Falco's laser lock is banned.
>>Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
>>If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser. This rule also applies to, but is not limited to: Swallocides and cargocides.
>>Excessive stalling is banned.
Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. Projectile camping is not considered stalling. Ledge camping is not considered stalling if the opponent is within range of punishing a return to the stage.
Standing infinites, in general are banned. Chain grabs, however, will not be limited. Have a ball.

STAGES

Starter stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter pick stages
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

All other stages are BANNED.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
4 stock.

Banning "Infinites" that aren't really infinites at all.

GREEN GREENS?

wat?

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'm mildly interested. Mainly just because it will be a chance to preach the good word of melee to brawlers.
But I'll probably enter anyways~

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
Hi. Yeah, my last name is definitely pronounced exactly the way it's spelled. Interesting that you picked up it was German though. :)

To answer your questions, it's open to everyone, not just Reinhardt students. Right now I have 20+ people registered, so the prize should be fairly decent.
Yes, the pot will be split 60/30/10.

Email me at stogner66528@reinhardt.edu if you want to register.

Crio - Thanks for pointing out Green Greens. That was supposed to be Luigi's Mansion.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Hi. Yeah, my last name is definitely pronounced exactly the way it's spelled. Interesting that you picked up it was German though. :)

To answer your questions, it's open to everyone, not just Reinhardt students. Right now I have 20+ people registered, so the prize should be fairly decent.
Yes, the pot will be split 60/30/10.

Email me at stogner66528@reinhardt.edu if you want to register.

Crio - Thanks for pointing out Green Greens. That was supposed to be Luigi's Mansion.
Hey Jennifer. This is Jason (Will's friend)

I hope you're not planning on playing on that lag-filled TV.

Most of the players that just posted are better than I am at Brawl.

I -may- come just because I know a few people, but I don't expect I'd enter if I wasn't guaranteed my money back >.>

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
We have never experienced any lag while playing.
Come for a challenge then, unless you haven't gotten a lot better, because we're certainly a lot better.

Excuse me if I sound bit**y.

There will be no refund once you've paid and entered for a chance to win. It's only five dollars - certainly cheaper than a lot of tournaments in Georgia, but if you still don't want to pay, then you can come and hang out for the friendlies. I know the other Jason and Zaine have been itching for a chance to play you again.

Rayku

Smash Lord
We have never experienced any lag while playing.
Come for a challenge then, unless you haven't gotten a lot better, because we're certainly a lot better.

Excuse me if I sound bit**y.

There will be no refund once you've paid and entered for a chance to win. It's only five dollars - certainly cheaper than a lot of tournaments in Georgia, but if you still don't want to pay, then you can come and hang out for the friendlies. I know the other Jason and Zaine have been itching for a chance to play you again.
I've gotten worse, if anything. I haven't played Brawl seriously in over 2 months, which is really quite refreshing.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
man every post by rayku is like dipping into a pool of bitterness and cynicism

Rayku

Smash Lord
were da **** is Waleska GA
I'm coming to preach the good word of The Alpha Gundam lol
and to steal that trophy >.>
It's about 3 hours from you, Alpha. It's about 20 minutes north of Woodstock, which is 2.5 hours from you (at least from what I know).

Isn't it wonderful, Tong? I hope I can make your day worse.

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
SWEET! Yeah, teams is something we're going to try next semester.I saw some of your team vids on youtube (hope that doesn't make me a stalker - one of my friends had a shi* fit when I told them you were considering coming). :)

Yeah Rayku likes to complain. He said our TVs were laggy. He said our rules suck.
I think our tournament is pretty nifty, and not just because I run it.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Before I come, i need to know what

Dedede's forward throw infinite
Pit's wonder lock infinite
MetaKnight's ground infinite
Infinite Lip Stall
Snake's Infinite Grab

are.

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
We definitely had two ten-year-olds come and play, and they were a gigantic disruption, and we decided NEVER AGAIN.
We do make exceptions though. Some middle graders actually are competent and quite mature.
Just none we've met so far. :)

I'm gonna revamp the rules and change some things. I basically copied and pasted a lot of the rules from "official rules" posted at other places, and then decided that those rules were balls. Expect new stuff tomorrow.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Yeah Rayku likes to complain. He said our TVs were laggy. He said our rules suck.
I said your TV (the only one I played on) was laggy because it is. I don't know about other TV's that you will be using. That's a general complaint that most people that don't play on wifi will have.

Yes, your rules are silly. Luigi's Mansion is legal. That stage is silly

Also, the random infinites (that no one knows what the hell they are, because they're not infinites in any form) that you listed don't exist. I've had like...4 different IM's/people asking me what Dedede's "Forward Throw Infinite" is.

I guess you -want- to get on my bad side or something. I'm just voicing what everyone else is thinking. Sorry for trying to make your tournament more legitimate.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Before I come, i need to know what

Dedede's forward throw infinite
Pit's wonder lock infinite
MetaKnight's ground infinite
Infinite Lip Stall
Snake's Infinite Grab

are.
Dedede's forward throw infinite - Probably means standing down throw infinite. Unless it really IS an infinite involving his forward throw, in which case if you can do it, it should totally be allowed. XD

Pit's wonder lock infinite - Side-B against a wall maybe? Escapable though, if it is. Why isn't it called the wonder wall?

MetaKnight's ground infinite - Probably the dimension cape infinite. Legitimate ban if so.

Infinite Lip Stall - Probably excessive ledge hopping. Not really an infinite.

Snake's Infinite Grab - Downthrow on the ledge? Escapable AFAIK.

SWEET! Yeah, teams is something we're going to try next semester.I saw some of your team vids on youtube
I have team vids on Youtube? lol.

(hope that doesn't make me a stalker - one of my friends had a shi* fit when I told them you were considering coming). :)
Wow, really? Point them out to me and I'll give them a hug and some friendlies or something. XD

Laggy TVs are bad TVs, if they're really laggy.
Your rules are kind of quirky and nonstandard, yeah. :p
If you want to update your rules, use the rule set from Waba Game.
I need to update those, but they're pretty much the standard Georgia is used to right now.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
You cannot even fathom how much time I've wasted watching that lion in your sig, Desu.

Jennifer Stogner

Smash Rookie
Haha, Crio, I definitely wasted time on that lion again.

Desu - Yeah I saw you as Metaknight on youtube with "Player 1" against Billy and Dynomite. Unless that wasn't you??

Yeah, those glitches definitely are real. I can't even express the amount of time I have spent researching every reported glitch, and debating over the stages.
If you read the recommendations for Smash rules for the tournaments, it says that tournament organizers can choose their own rules. We used the ones we have because it worked a lot smoother for us to do it our way.
We don't randomly pick our rules, but excuse me for deciding what works best for my tournament.

And yeah Rayku, you are starting to get on my bad side. No one has EVER complained about the "laggy" TV except you. That's because our TV doesn't lag. Nothing lags when we play, and it hasn't for the past two years. Come to a tournament, propose changes to us, and then we'll consider them, but the set format, the stage list, and the TVs work fine.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
I came to this thread hoping that "Waleska" was a mix between a whale and Alaska somewhere in GA.

I leave with only sadness.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Haha, Crio, I definitely wasted time on that lion again.

Desu - Yeah I saw you as Metaknight on youtube with "Player 1" against Billy and Dynomite. Unless that wasn't you??
Ah, yeah that's me.
I didn't realize someone uploaded that. :o
And I'm glad everyone likes the lion. XD
If you click the image, you can watch the music video I captured the lion from. :3

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I LOVE Streetlight; though Catch 22's version of the Keasby Nights album is vastly superior.

The only thing that makes no sense (aside from some of the... erm... questionable stage choices) is 4 stock.

Why would anyone want to make Brawl matches longer than they already tend to drag on to be?

EDIT: Ness is amazing on Luigi's mansion.

Top Bottom