• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest char to play as?

sharksquail

Smash Ace
What character do you think takes the most skill to play with on a high level and why?

I think Link, because of his inherently bad match ups, making a mistake at a high level of play with him often means death, his weight makes him easy to juggle, and he's not all that fast ether.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
At a competitive level, Its probably Link or Fox, followed by either Yoshi or Ness.

DMoogle

A$
If you're at a high level with one character, then it's not hard at ALL to get to a similar level with all the other characters. Most SSB concepts apply to the entire cast.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
If you're at a high level with one character, then it's not hard at ALL to get to a similar level with all the other characters. Most SSB concepts apply to the entire cast.
I agree, but at the same time certain character attributes can make them harder to use. Like how fast you have to input commands to play fox at a high level.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Link hardest o.o

Run away, spam projectiles, D-Air a bit when they get close and don't use stupid laggy punishable tactics (like U-Tilting shields twice in a row...)

I'd say Fox...or Yoshi...

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I think DK would be the hardest if you try to play outside the "grab + backthrow" mentality AND if you have no platforms. Keep in mind that a good player can get out of his grab almost immediately so combo abilities with the grab where he carries you in his back are slim to none unless you do that inifite grab release thing.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think DK would be the hardest if you try to play outside the "grab + backthrow" mentality AND if you have no platforms. Keep in mind that a good player can get out of his grab almost immediately so combo abilities with the grab where he carries you in his back are slim to none unless you do that inifite grab release thing.
I agree, the best DK we have on our server is 1der, only made so by the fact that he's the only one that can consistenly pull off platofrm drop uairs>uair>fair/upsmash/Dk pawnch

dandan

Smash Lord
in high level i would say yoshi, but i am talking about parrying and whatnot, i think he is the hardest chat to play to the full potential

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I agree, the best DK we have on our server is 1der, only made so by the fact that he's the only one that can consistenly pull off platofrm drop uairs>uair>fair/upsmash/Dk pawnch
are you freaking kidding leo be up in that dk international pro group camping in the **** tent is pretty leet if you ask my humble opinion of course im so insignificant next to the amazingness that is leo that i have to make up words like amazingness to describe him of course ness and amazing shouldnt be paired thats just silly unless were talking about earthbound

Excuse the rant. 1der's DK pales next to Blackshadow's. Give him a couple weeks of practice and he'll be quite good again.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
True, but it goes without saying that leo is the greatest, shame he isnt on much.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I'd say Yoshi

Hes the weirdest/most different from the rest

Why people say ness? He doesnt need z-cancel to do uairs and dairs, and his running makes easy to tech-chase opponents

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I'd say Yoshi

Hes the weirdest/most different from the rest

Why people say ness? He doesnt need z-cancel to do uairs and dairs, and his running makes easy to tech-chase opponents
I'm not counting z cancels and stuff because that's basic for any good player. Ness is hard because
1) You have to master DJC and all the different ways you can use it which takes a lot of practice
2) You have to learn how to approach with his bad range
3) You have to learn how to do his recovery, preferably so you can sweet spot it from above.
4) Even though he has some easy combos, his combos are hard to finish well. Fair chains are hard to do especially. In order to be really good with ness you have to learn all his difficult advanced combos

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
I'm not counting z cancels and stuff because that's basic for any good player. Ness is hard because
1) You have to master DJC and all the different ways you can use it which takes a lot of practice
2) You have to learn how to approach with his bad range
3) You have to learn how to do his recovery, preferably so you can sweet spot it from above.
4) Even though he has some easy combos, his combos are hard to finish well. Fair chains are hard to do especially. In order to be really good with ness you have to learn all his difficult advanced combos
I'd say ness and yoshi tied for hardest. They are my two worst characters. But sometimes I can play with yoshi... Yoshi has greater potential and therefore better imo and ness is just hard.

dandan

Smash Lord
I'd say ness and yoshi tied for hardest. They are my two worst characters. But sometimes I can play with yoshi... Yoshi has greater potential and therefore better imo and ness is just hard.
isn't it supposed to be "Lion says ness and yoshi..." ;)

Dan$inyi

Smash Apprentice
Falcon and Kirby.
kirby must be the easiest char to play i picked up kirby in like 2 hours lol

i would say link. since his attacks requires you to actually know when to use them unlike kirby.
second would probably be samus

The Star King

Smash Hero
Link. For everybody saying Yoshi, as an avid Yoshi player myself, I would say that Yoshi IS really hard to learn and use at first. However, once I got used to him, I don't have to work THAT hard to play well. For me, it feels like Link has to always try hard for everything. Maybe I'm not experienced enough with him, but I have to put a lot of effort (mostly mentally) into playing well with him.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
... there is a definition confusion that I think is changing everyone's opinion.

"Hardest Character to play as" to me means the character that is the hardest to use to it's potential. People are confusing this with "Hardest Character to win with", which is self-explanatory.

In my opinion, the hardest character to win with is Link. Although Samus is the worst character, it's not that hard to space bairs and dairs, and all the other wonderful Saums stuff. However, with Link, one mistake and you're dead. Your spacing has to be basically perfect, your camping has to be basically perfect, and... well, one mistake and you're dead :p

The hardest character to use is probably Yoshi. There are soo many AT's, most hard to do (well, at least compared to other AT's). Most of his advanced combos utilize a combination of these AT's.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Samus. I'm not talking about technical skill here though... Ever felt powerless against a gay Fox or a Pikachu? I only feel that when playing Samus - like I have to exploit every single mistake or I'm screwed.
Then again, it looks like we all have different views of "high level".

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Fox and Ness make my fingers sore when I play them on console. Does that count as hard?

I would say the hardest character to win with depends on your opponent's character (ohnoes matchup talk). I mean, Link vs Jiggs is fairly easy if you camp lots and don't run into D-Airs and grabs. Link against a gay Fox, on the other hand, is almost impossible. You can't camp for fear of one billion lasers, you can't projectile much for fear of gay shines, you can't recover for fear of that enormous B-Air, and you can't U-Tilt for fear of...well, anything he does. Once you're on the defensive, that's it. You have to pray for a mistake or some drills/walls to exploit.

DMoogle

A$
I hate Link vs. Jiggs. I feel like it's one mistake and you're dead to the extreme... even moreso (albeit slightly) that Pika.

A general strategy against Fox is to make sure you keep below or above him, and avoid at all costs being at his height.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
^ I think that was a joke man. lol Even if it wasn't I wouldn't be surprised. Kirby isn't THAT good. If people can say Fox then they can definitely say Kirby ;)

I'd go with Yoshi or Samus. Especially Samus though. Playing with Samus will always be an uphill battle against any character. Yoshi is just my personal bias. I don't understand the character.

DMoogle

A$
I love uphill matches like this, especially Link vs Falcon and Link vs Jiggs. They're challenging, fun and give me free johns :D
I like Link vs. Falcon too, it's one of my favorites, but Link vs. Jiggs is just really annoying. I'm not entirely sure why.

Oh yeah, and Kirby IS that good.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
depends who you play as
yoshi is just ...different, but thats because i dont main him
DK doesnt have much too him even when you are really good.
ness is not hard to "play" but it is hard to win

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Kirby is really hard to use. First off, you have to press up without jumping. I mean, that alone is difficult enough to do. Then, you have to press the "A" button with perfect timing. It's not like the timing is easy, or there's lots of lee-way or anything like that... it's actually quite hard. Only the truly skilled can master the ability to use Kirby's up-tilt successfully.

The Star King

Smash Hero
...yeah, right now I'm not sure if this thread is the hardest character to learn to play well as, or hardest character to win with. Like, Samus is easy to learn, but hard to win with.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
The thread was intended to be hardest to master. If it was hardest to win with I would have just made a post in the match up thread.

UberMario

Smash Master
I found Ness to be the hardest to get competitve with, although the hardest to master has to be Fox.

Top Bottom