• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hands on info about Brawl.

RyeBeeFin

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I figured you might like some hands on info about Brawl, especially since a glance at your boards seems to show recently you've been trolled by the cesspit of the internet.

*cough4chancough*

Anyway, I'm not going to feed you any crap, like the game doesn't exist, or anything like that. However, I will tell you what I found out from actually PLAYING the game.

I work a nonimportant desk job at a rather large gaming website. (it rhymes with my name.. try to figure it out.) It's a fine enough job, and sometimes I get to play neat games before they even come out, which is what happened recently. I only got to play four or five stock matches though, so I don't have real super in-depth info, sorry.

I got to play a preview copy, that had a few of the characters (no new ones, sorry.) and a few stages (again, no new ones, sorry.).

Here's what I learned:

I didn't count them, but it looks like there's around 45 playable characters, assuming there are no hidden character boxes like in Melee. There probably are though, so I'd guess there to be maybe 46, 47 characters altogether.

Anyway, onto the meat. The gameplay. If you thought Melee was perfect, you're going to be very disappointed, as the game is pretty different. Firstly, everybody's fallspeed has been reduced. Not ridiculously so, but a good clip. Fox (My always-pick) falls MUCH slower than before. His damage also seems to have been reduced overall. His reflector also now acts like a second shield, but for projectiles, slowly shrinking until it burns out if you hold it too long. It starts faster now, though. Guess they thought he was too good in Melee. The whole game seems to have more of a focus on arial combat. That jump you can do off other characters? You can do it in the air. It makes things a bit crazy when the Devil comes out, I can tell you that. Wavedashing appears to have been removed. I THINK I did it once, but I'm not sure. If it's still there, it's much harder to do, to the point it's no longer viable to use in competetive play. Fast characters run a bit slower, but they are still faster than slow characters. Everybody jumps a bit farther than in Melee, too, it seemed like. The biggest (and dumbest, in my opinion) thing I noticed, was, when a character is hanging on the edge of the stage, they are now invurnerable. Attacks just go through them.

Assist Trophies I saw, that haven't been announced:

Giygas: The entire background, including the stage, vanishes, and is replaced by the swirling mass of Giygas. Stuff goes a bit crazy here, as you get smacked (even the user does!) with a random 'status effect' ones I saw were sleep, 'sink' (you know, you get stuck in the ground.), poison (Like the flower, but a constant steady ticking upward on your damage meter), and of course flower. I accidently fell off the stage a few times during this one, lol.

Mr. Resetti: Digs straight forward, doing moderate damage to anybody caught in the way of his flailing pick axe. Also looks hilarious.

Pikmin: A swarm of pikmin descend upon anybody nearby, clinging to them, and causing minor damage. Moving shakes them off, but as long as they are on you, you can't jump as high, or move as fast.

And, my favorite...

KOOPA KIDS! Throwing this trophy causes the kids to run every way possible, some even jumping to higher levels, and smacking, biting, scratching, and other unpleasant things, to anybody in their path. It's wonderful, they're like napalm.

So, there's what I found out about the game, guys! Hope you get excited, and that you believe me, but I just had fun sharing it even if you don't. :laugh:

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Heh, are you 4 real? I really wanna believe you, I really do bro, but it just seems to good to be true. Moreover, if it sounds like it's too good to be true, it usually is.

NessOwnsYou

Smash Cadet
If this is true (and you like a professional so I don't question you at all right now) and from all the assist Trophies that you said, I can say Awesome sauce for them putting my favorite bad guy of all time in the game and awesome to see Bowser's kids get one more chance as AT.

So Summary:You look like your telling the truth, Giygas is a AT Woot! and It nice to see the Koopa kids again after the golden days of SMW

P.S.If this isn't the truth then I will hate you for giving me False hope for my Favorite bad guy Giygas being the game as a AT
P.S.S.:confused:
P.S.S.S.Yes I agree with waffu i will take it in and think about it

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna say if I or if we should believe you or not, I'm just wonderin'... but how can Fox's reflector start any faster? It has a one frame startup, can't get any faster than that.

waffu

Smash Cadet
I know it's easy to jump the gun and say he's making stuff up, but all the stuff he says seems reasonable and he doesn't make any big claims besides assist trophies. I'm just going to take in what was said and think about it instead of pointing a finger.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Frankly, I don't see any motives on why he should lie? He has no logic; therefore, one can conclude that he......could be telling the truth. It still seems a tad bit farfetch'd to me.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Frankly, I don't see any motives on why he should lie? He has no logic; therefore, one can conclude that he......could be telling the truth. It still seems a tad bit farfetch'd to me.
It's called being an attention *****. And so he can tell his buddies how he got the kiddies here believing him.

Like anyone who isn't Japanese would get their hands on the game.

dan smith

Smash Champion
This is either true, or a really good lie.

He dosen't go overboard. Most people, if they were to lie about playing brawl, would probably include something really shocking. Nothing in this info is too surprising...which makes it seem plausible.

It is also simultaneously naive and yet well thought out. I mean, yes, this guy doesn't know that Fox's shine is as fast as it can be...which makes him seem like a bystandard to the smash community....but then the AT choices he reveals are top notch ideas. Giygas? Resetti? Koopa Kids? Totally plausible. Awesome characters that couldn't really be made into playable characters.

It would seem as if ideas like this would be invented by somebody with a little more knowledge of the game, where as, through his post, this fellow seems to give away a relative lack of knowledge.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Giygas and Koopa kids would be awesome if they were in Brawl...

D

Deleted member

LMAO.

I do kinda trust you. But you said you don't have new info at hand, so maybe not. Eh, care to tell us some more ATs?

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
This is either true, or a really good lie.

He dosen't go overboard. Most people, if they were to lie about playing brawl, would probably include something really shocking. Nothing in this info is too surprising...which makes it seem plausible.

It is also simultaneously naive and yet well thought out. I mean, yes, this guy doesn't know that Fox's shine is as fast as it can be...which makes him seem like a bystandard to the smash community....but then the AT choices he reveals are top notch ideas. Giygas? Resetti? Koopa Kids? Totally plausible. Awesome characters that couldn't really be made into playable characters.

It would seem as if ideas like this would be invented by somebody with a little more knowledge of the game, where as, through his post, this fellow seems to give away a relative lack of knowledge.
He's just a clever liar.

In fact if anything fox's reflector will have a small amount of lag now as fox now takes out a small item to initiate the reflector.

Although I do admit the attack trophy ideas are good, as for temporary edge invincibility thats nothing new, Melee had it as well.

Nice try though.

Edit: Also anyone at IGN having a chance to play a beta build of brawl is a bit silly, Nintendo definitely won't reveal a playable build until at least the Tokio gameshow in Semptember 20-23rd.

So again while enteraining this thread = fail.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
well he basically said exactly the opposite of what WE wanted to hear...so i'm taking this as false for now.
He said what YOU didnt want to hear. I would welcome these changes except for the edge thing.

He's just a clever liar.

In fact if anything fox's reflector will have a small amount of lag now as fox now takes out a small item to initiate the reflector.

Although I do admit the attack trophy ideas are good, as for temporary edge invincibility thats nothing new, Melee had it as well.

Nice try though.

Edit: Also anyone at IGN having a chance to play a beta build of brawl is a bit silly, Nintendo definitely won't reveal a playable build until at least the Tokio gameshow in Semptember 20-23rd.

So again while enteraining this thread = fail.
Sadly, you're right Sculelos

Samochan

Smash Master
Everything this guy said seems plausible enough (cept the fox shine being faster startup and infinite ledge invincibility), but I still take this with grain and salt. Unless what the says are actually confirmed on the website, I still have my suspicion. And for anyone to have a playable copy to play at this point is not very likely. >_>

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Wanna know the company I work for?

It doesn't rhyme with anything, its simply 'urawank'

Great company, I get good holidays and a bonus every 3 months.

NessOwnsYou

Smash Cadet
Wanna know the company I work for?

It doesn't rhyme with anything, its simply 'urawank'

Great company, I get good holidays and a bonus every 3 months.
Ah dude it he trying to say he is from IGN and what with the urawank thing.

People, So 4Chan and that dude from Georgia came here with false info.......Maybe he the one who telling the truth for once but everyone thinks he is lying

Shapechanger

Smash Apprentice
It makes things a bit crazy when the Devil comes out, I can tell you that.
This quote is what threw off all credibility for me. If you have a working version of the game with, likely, many more assist trophies than have been revealed, why would the Devil trophy be the only one that makes things "crazy"? Why would it be the first one he mentions? He's trying to sound credible by revealing something we already know.

sceptilian

Smash Apprentice
This quote is what threw off all credibility for me. If you have a working version of the game with, likely, many more assist trophies than have been revealed, why would the Devil trophy be the only one that makes things "crazy"? Why would it be the first one he mentions? He's trying to sound credible by revealing something we already know.
Possible, but still, he said it was a preview copy and probably had a lot less of the ATs along with the characters. He probably had a bad experience especially with the Devil, which could be in the preview. Other ATs may wreak havoc under such circumstances, but they just aren't in the preview.

I've no idea who to support right now. I kinda believe the guy, he sounds credible and all that, but I'm still gonna take that info with a grain of salt. What with the trolls around lately. Who knows, maybe this one's the real deal. Or he could just be a pile of crap.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I work for Nintendo. Me and Sakurai are good buddies. In fact, I'm the one who taught him english.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Holy christ, why on EARTH would anyone from IGN have a test/beta copy of Brawl!?!

If they did, they wouldn't have it so they could play it themselves; it would purely be for promotional rights. I.E.

'BRAWL TESTED AND PLAYED! COME LOOK NOW!!'

More visitors= More money.

I'm not even gonna bother.

Someone just lock this pathetic thread and give MR RBN IGN URAWANK whutever a slap accross the face.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I think he spreads these lies to get our hopes down...then we are gently caressed with the awesomeness of the ACTUAL game.

Or he's a dershbag.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I'm only going to say that this isn't as farfetched as the ideas of every other troll in this forum. That and the fact that the threadstarter is dumb enough to think anyone will immediately believe whatever he is saying >.> Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Besides, I believe firmly (and I'm pretty sure it's like that) Sakurai wants this to be a secret. It is a secret to everybody (pun intended...if you guess it, you get a cookie), unless there's a spy at Sora Ltd. >.>

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
The biggest (and dumbest, in my opinion) thing I noticed, was, when a character is hanging on the edge of the stage, they are now invurnerable. Attacks just go through them.
I will not believe this for this statement alone. That would be a nightmare, expecially for me, a Luigi player. Plus it doesn't sound terribly likely that Sakurai would degrade a function in the game like that.

Plus this is like what, the twelfth one of these threads this week? And they all say the same thing before dropping the bombshells... "I know you get a lot of threads like these, but I'm different. Don't believe me if you want, it's still true."

:rocket:

cccck

Smash Journeyman
Well... I would like this to be kept alive.. just to see if you are right... but remember even if he (she?) did really play it, we don't know how done the one he was playing was.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I have to agree with PitIcarus.

We've seen so many of these trolls it's about time we don't even consider them true from the start. Just because this person is more "believable" doesn't mean anything. In fact that could be part of their plan, to make it believable so everyone here would believe it. :o

I don't buy it.

Top Bottom