• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

Superstar

Smash Champion
Broke? I think it's good now.

Dead Ringer even day 1 was useless unless you just wanted to be annoying. Dead Ringer span accomplished nothing, and you still can't be attacking while holding it. After the nerf, it was COMPLETELY useless. Least now it's an inbetween [though ammo pickups may have broken it...].

That, and the only REAL use I saw for the Dead Ringer was if you wanted to go Ambassador spy, but they nerfed that weapon.

Sensai

Smash Master
The Dead Ringer was way TOO good day 1. Any Spy that you saw just spamming it either has no idea what they're doing or was just griefing you guys.

The Dead Ringer isn't as good as it was back then (I'm assuming; I haven't played with it nor do I really want to. It made my Spy act sloppy), but it still is better than it should be.

Superstar

Smash Champion
No, seriously, it was bad day 1 too. It worked good day 1, but people learn how to beat it and it put full requirement on disguises. It only worked well on bad people.

The only good use is the ability to escape an encounter/Ambassadar spy, but the latter was nerfed.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
They nerfed the ambassador a bit too much. No penetration is fine but no headshots before it cools down? That sucks.

I haven't had much of a chance to use the DR though, the game crashed and I haven't bothered to get back on.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Last night me and my brother were playing some TF2 and he was a pyro while I was a sniper (with the huntsman). So I was killing people with the huntsman and my brother does his usual spy checks on all of our teammates (including me) and when he used his flamethrower against me it made my arrow catch on fire. (good detail!)

My question is : If I manage to hit someone with the flaming arrow, will it make them catch on fire?

(Sorry if this is old but I just found this out last night)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
System specs, not manufacturer is what matters.

I have run Steam on most of the computers I own, all of varying makes, and it ran perfectly fine.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah you need to tell us your specs. A normal laptop won't give you the best quality [in terms of frame rate and graphics] but it should be fine if turn the settings down.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
People need to chill the f out in pubs. Last night this guy on the other team was getting really mad because our pyros kept on spy checking and owning him and we had a few engineer's building defense by our second point (we were pushed back that far...). Why do people take pubs so seriously? They play them like their lives depend on it and that it will matter if they win or lose. He ended up rage quitting anyways and then we won and then massacred his team in the humiliation mode lol.

Btw, how do you get on-top of the pipe by your first point in granary? i've seen engineers get up there and build turrets.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
People need to chill the f out in pubs. Last night this guy on the other team was getting really mad because our pyros kept on spy checking and owning him and we had a few engineer's building defense by our second point (we were pushed back that far...). Why do people take pubs so seriously? They play them like their lives depend on it and that it will matter if they win or lose. He ended up rage quitting anyways and then we won and then massacred his team in the humiliation mode lol.

Btw, how do you get on-top of the pipe by your first point in granary? i've seen engineers get up there and build turrets.
Run up pipe which leads to your final point. Turn right carry on to room with the window. Jump out of open window crouching in the air and land on pipe.

Got me a great spot on Pipeline 1. Will have to show you guys the view sometime.

EDIT: here we are:

Also, here is a good solly tutorial vid if any of you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI29xEnfTzI

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't usually play a Soldier in TF2 but today I gave it a try and I did surprising good! I went +50 in CP on Granary. The enemy was building several turrets so I was in charge of taking them out. Good stuff!

Sensai

Smash Master
I really, desperately need someone to tell me what to do when I'm ubered as a soldier. Supe? That's your area, right? Gimme some tips.

I do absolutely great as a soldier until I get ubered, and then I really have no idea what to do. I guess it's the sentry gun that throws me off.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Sensai, I find it weird how we always end up missing each other in TF2; The day you got back from camp was the day I left for Taiwan.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
When I'm ubered as a Soldier, I always go for the enemy's sentry guns and dispensers. Once destoryed, it allows my teammates to move in.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I'm a Scout main now, hahaha, I've switched for a while. My Scout is much better than my Soldier. As a Soldier I'm only half decent, Scout is seriously my best class.

I tend to have to Soldier a lot though, for the team I'm on. When you get ubered, you can't expect to **** everything with it, you can usually only go for a choice target. People have to push WITH the uber to get anything done, and the Medic needs to know how to switch it.

In pubs, go for the Sentry guns mostly, or the Engie behind it. Remember to stay fully reloaded, yadayada.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Black Waltz: When you getting back?

@ F8AL, Supe: I know to go for the gun or just cause as much havoc as possible, but...I dunno. I feel like I'm not doing much. I mean, I think I may just be making up unrealistic expectations for myself.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't really like being ubered as a Soldier unless the medic has no other choice, I do much better with ubers as a Demo.

4% APR

Smash Champion
@ Black Waltz: When you getting back?

@ F8AL, Supe: I know to go for the gun or just cause as much havoc as possible, but...I dunno. I feel like I'm not doing much. I mean, I think I may just be making up unrealistic expectations for myself.
i think i know how you feel. But like supe said, you cant really get a whole lot done on your own, you gotta semi-ok teammates that dont have the mindset of "ok i'll let the ubered guy handle it and i'll stand back."

Superstar

Smash Champion
Meh, ubered Pyros are usually cake to handle. Usually.

You need backup, or go for certain picks. You have to focus on a target, or do a shot in an attempt to slow people down. If you shoot one person and then shoot another, and not stay on one, you can't get anything done. Medics and Sentries are #1 uber priority, people close to you are another. If the uber is going to wear off and you're surrounded, back away, run, shoot shots to slow them down.

Also use your Shotty a lot.

CJ671 aka Blank

Smash Cadet
im a soldier main with my alt being scout. when im ubered ( i'll assume it's normal uber ) there is a thing i call target prioritization. 1 - look for a medic healbotting a power class and take him out ( and the partner if possible in the ubercharge ). 2 - sentries that are suppressing an area ( take out the engie if possible too ) 3 - gaining access to a vital chokehold. on the other hand krits i play a bit differently. if you get krit ubered then here's my tips. 1 - same as above except you should be able to kill the parnter or any other enemies present. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR SHOTTY. a shotty with krit is no laughing matter. you can down enemies easy even at medium range. 2 - if you cannot find medic combos, look for areas such as chokeholds and important areas that have enemies holding it down. take as many out as possible or at least pressure them out so you gain the positioning advantage. 3 - i make sentries last on the list because they will be able to down you fast unless you have some cover to abuse. btw i play a ton of arena with these tips but i'm sure they can extend to cp and pl maps.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Sensai: I'm getting back August 2nd (I think). But when I get back I still need to finish up FF8 so I might not be on a lot.

And on the subject of ubers, it's extremely frustrating to clear out a sentry nest at the last capture point only to find that most of your team is dead and unable to cap the point that you just cleaned out.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Good news Xbox 360 TF2 players! A new update is up!

http://kotaku.com/5319824/todays-team-fortress-2-xbox-360-update-is-not-the-one-youre-looking-for

Not everything in this new patch has been discovered, kotaku (kotaku.com) says that it "offers the option to toggle critical hits and limit the number of players who can choose a certain class, meaning some games you'll join may completely rule out the option to play as a Pyro or Heavy. What else it offers, we're not yet sure. We contacted Valve earlier today, but have yet to receive clarification about today's changes to the Xbox 360 version of the game."

I will update this post when all of the new features of this patch are known/discovered.

Shock the Hedgehog

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockhog
I'm a 360 TF2 player and this update is... well it's fairly bittersweet.

It's nice that Valve has finally recognized that TF2 exists on the TF2, but this update makes me feel like they're trying to just get rid the Xbox community.

It gets rid of ALL modding, you may think that would end griefing, but the new options, namely the Class Limits, bring griefing to the masses. I joined a game where the only class I could play as was a spy while the host was a pyro. It was awful and not fun at all. If Valve actually gives us more than I'll be happy, but if this is all we get then I may just have to buy a new PC.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's nice that Valve has finally recognized that TF2 exists on the TF2, but this update makes me feel like they're trying to just get rid the Xbox community.
Typo? I think you meant to say "TF2 exists on the 360".

Anyways, I have a question for all the players here who main the spy/good with them or play them alot...

When you take someone's disguise does it take the weapon they have at that time?

Example : Player 1 is a Spy and Player 2 is an Engineer. Player 1 disguises as Player 2 but Player 2 is building a Sentry gun at that moment and therefore has the wrench out. Does Player 1 (now disguised as Player 2) have the Wrench as their primary weapon in their disguise? Or do they have the Engineer's shotgun out?

Or can disguised Spies only have certain weapons? (i.e. Engineer = Shotgun, Scout = Shotgun)

Because I think (am not 100% sure) yesterday when I was an engineer I saw a "friendly" Engineer staring at me but he had the wrench out so i thought to myself "ill just fire at him and spycheck him for fun" but after firing a few shotgun shells into him, he turned out to by a spy! I thought that spy engineers could only have the shotgun out and not the wrench!

Another question : My favorite server (Granary CP 24/7) recently moved to another IP and i tried finding a game with that IP, it finds 1 game and I press the "add server to favorites" button but nothing happens and it disappears from the "found servers by ip" list. Glitch?

Last question : Is the razorback for the sniper really helpful? Cause I found out that if a spy shanks you in the back when you have the razorback equipped it doesnt have a message on your screen "Your razorback has been destroyed!" IMO they should make the razorback invisible or pop up with a message when a spy destroys it. Should i still use the razorback because im really paranoid when im sniping because a spy could easily shank me...or should i use the SMG or jarate? I'm kinda leaning towards the SMG because I hate it when people rush me...(i have the huntsman)

4% APR

Smash Champion
if you're a spy and you cloak as someone else then im pretty sure you just get the main weapon(scattergun, rocket), but if you hit B(i think, i know its some button in that area) then you equip the weapon they would in that "slot".

Ex-if you would push b with your knife out, you would have that class's melee weapon, if you do it with the sapper, you get that class's secondary. You cant do it with the disguise kit.

I hope that was understandable

Sensai

Smash Master
As a Spy, you're able to disguise as someone with whatever weapon you want them to have, so long as it's equipped on that character. What I mean by this is, if you disguise as a Pyro, you're going to have the exact same weapon choices as they do; if they have the backburner, you're going to have that option, if they have the flaregun, you'll have that option, etc. You automatically disguise with the primary weapon (whatever happens when you press 1). This wasn't always the case, but people were confused by the original method.

The way to change weapons now is to redisguise with whatever number weapon you want your disguise to have. So, let's say you go Pyro and want your axe out. You start by hitting 4 (disguise kit) and then 3 (Pyro). Wait to get disguise and then you should be PlayerX with either the backburner or the flamethrower out, regardless of what weapon your Spy is holding. To disguise with a different equipped weapon, you simply change to the weapon you want (Revolver for primary disguised weapon, Sapper for secondary disguised, etc) and redisguise. So, in our example, you want to equip the axe, so you'd, with your Spy, change to the knife and then redisguise by either bringing up the disguise kit again or by hitting B, which automatically disguises as your last disguised class.

It's important to note that redisguising to change weapons looks COMPLETELY natural. It looks as if the person is simply switching weapons; no smoke is given off.

Sorry for the long explanation...it's one of those concepts that's simple but hard to explain. Hope this made sense, though.

If you have the new IP for the server you like, open up your console and type 'connect IPGOESHERE'. You should connect and from there you can add the server to your favorites.

The razorback is, coming from someone who more or less plays Spy mainly, not amazing. It DOES deter some Spies from stabbing, but if we're really intent on it then you're going to die. A headshot and a normal shot with the ambassador will kill you.

The problem with the razorback is that it really does something that decent Snipers should be doing anyways, which is constantly checking around them. If you're a Sniper who really does like to sit and fish (that's my term, since you sit there and wait for however long it takes) then I guess it's a good investment...but the Jarate is so much better if you're just willing to unscope every so often and look around.

If you drop the Razorback, go with Jarate. The SMG isn't good...in fact, it's one of the worst weapons in the game, IMO.

Top Bottom