• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guys, I need your help! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RidleyDSMS

Smash Rookie
Hahaha, its a simple request. I need a brawl main. Theres so many different characters I like, but I want to start maining my character right when I get the game so I can enter some tourneys. What I am asking is, for those of you that know your mains, why did you choose them? Maybe your opinions can help me decide who to main myself. :)

tutter

Smash Apprentice
Draw your shield, c'mon man i think there even is a stickied thread on this.

Fallen Pit

Smash Rookie
I chose PIT because of his amazing recovery ability and his use of arrows. He can do some great combos with the dual wield bow, but is not "powerful" like the heavyweights.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because of Dedede's power and R.O.B.'s unique fighting style...

And because those characters are awesome!

Choose Ridley.
Oh wait... it's too big...
Alright. Choose Sonic. Everybody else is doing it.
Honestly how I ended up playing Luigi in Melee: I tried every character for about a minute in training, liked Luigi, played as him. That's it.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
just flip a 35 side coin... or a two side coin 17.5 times ... or a one side coin 35 times;););)

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
Do what most people do, play every character and find one you like. The way you want to play and how you enjoy playing and say "This is the type of play I want to build on to win matches". Thats how you choose your main.

Fox -

The Shine, Speed, Looks - In that order.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Well I originally planned on maining Wario after the first E3 video, and that decision was based on nothing but the fact that Wario is made of pure awesome. Now that I know all his moves and have seen them in action, I'm even more pumped to use him.

So my suggestion to you is to think of the characters you like most, then study them in vids and such, and make make your decision based on who you would like to play as the most.

I can't make the decision for you.

RidleyDSMS

Smash Rookie
Well I originally planned on maining Wario after the first E3 video, and that decision was based on nothing but the fact that Wario is made of pure awesome. Now that I know all his moves and have seen them in action, I'm even more pumped to use him.

So my suggestion to you is to think of the characters you like most, then study them in vids and such, and make make your decision based on who you would like to play as the most.

I can't make the decision for you.
Im just asking to see what people like about what characters.

Metallic_Igloo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a professional, or a very competitive player, but I'm going to try to be more competitive. In melee, I loved Samus, she seems good in Brawl and similar, and the additional Zero Suit seems helpful. Samus is good because you will either love her for her projectiles (ranged attack), her combat attacks, or both like me. I think most people like her purely because they like her specials and her projectiles, but I like her combat more, like aerials, smashes, etc. I especially love her down air move, it's a great meteor smash, also her back air is a huge back kick that sends 'em flying, so I like to down air them off the ground, jump, and then back kick them. She also has good moves that build up damage well, like her up smash, her up air, and her forward air which give multiple damaging hits. Her specials aren't the deciding factor for me. I usually use her charge shot (B) only in friendlier matches, or only after I've killed off the top and have time to fully charge it. But I usually don't successfully use it. But, I can do some...mindgames? with the charge shot, especially in friendly games, or against another samus. I'll start charging the shot and release it about 4/5 of the way through, so they aren't quite expecting it. For projectiles though, I use her missiles (-> B) much more, sometimes with a charge shot as well. One thing that I've done a few times is made someone dodge a missle at a bad time so they fall to their death or I can easily kill them. Her bomb ( \/ B) is useful in a couple ways, I mainly use it to change my falls, I don't really do bomb jumps, I never really have to use it for recovery, but if I know I could recover or I'm falling, I can use my bomb to stale the fall, making it harder to combo me, or edge-guard me, it makes it harder to expect my timing, which to me is everything in this game. They can also be used in 4 player smashes, if there are multiple enemies close together, and focused on each other, I can quickly go in the middle and plop some bombs around, quickly adding some damage. After that I usually break them up with my screw attack ( ^ B). The screw attack is good to use in recovery but has a slow fall, leaving you open if you do it above land or offensively, so I rarely use it offensively unless its a 4 man brawl. In brawl her final smash looks awesome, and hopefully Zamus is good as well, her aerials seems good, but her specials look a little weak. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about her grapple beam, in the next game it may be better, but in Melee I almost never used it, because it was too unreliable and seemed to miss too often especially when I was close to the target. Her back throw was good, but I didn't do it often because it was too hard to grab, but don't let that discourage you.

RidleyDSMS

Smash Rookie
I'm not a professional, or a very competitive player, but I'm going to try to be more competitive. In melee, I loved Samus, she seems good in Brawl and similar, and the additional Zero Suit seems helpful. Samus is good because you will either love her for her projectiles (ranged attack), her combat attacks, or both like me. I think most people like her purely because they like her specials and her projectiles, but I like her combat more, like aerials, smashes, etc. I especially love her down air move, it's a great meteor smash, also her back air is a huge back kick that sends 'em flying, so I like to down air them off the ground, jump, and then back kick them. She also has good moves that build up damage well, like her up smash, her up air, and her forward air which give multiple damaging hits. Her specials aren't the deciding factor for me. I usually use her charge shot (B) only in friendlier matches, or only after I've killed off the top and have time to fully charge it. But I usually don't successfully use it. But, I can do some...mindgames? with the charge shot, especially in friendly games, or against another samus. I'll start charging the shot and release it about 4/5 of the way through, so they aren't quite expecting it. For projectiles though, I use her missiles (-> B) much more, sometimes with a charge shot as well. One thing that I've done a few times is made someone dodge a missle at a bad time so they fall to their death or I can easily kill them. Her bomb ( \/ B) is useful in a couple ways, I mainly use it to change my falls, I don't really do bomb jumps, I never really have to use it for recovery, but if I know I could recover or I'm falling, I can use my bomb to stale the fall, making it harder to combo me, or edge-guard me, it makes it harder to expect my timing, which to me is everything in this game. They can also be used in 4 player smashes, if there are multiple enemies close together, and focused on each other, I can quickly go in the middle and plop some bombs around, quickly adding some damage. After that I usually break them up with my screw attack ( ^ B). The screw attack is good to use in recovery but has a slow fall, leaving you open if you do it above land or offensively, so I rarely use it offensively unless its a 4 man brawl. In brawl her final smash looks awesome, and hopefully Zamus is good as well, her aerials seems good, but her specials look a little weak. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about her grapple beam, in the next game it may be better, but in Melee I almost never used it, because it was too unreliable and seemed to miss too often especially when I was close to the target. Her back throw was good, but I didn't do it often because it was too hard to grab, but don't let that discourage you.

Very nice explanation. I was a Samus user as well since 64, but I kind of want a new main, unless I cant find anyone else I like more than her. I usually charge up the neutral B, just to keep it handy.

Kruton

Smash Ace
In Brawl, I think the game will evolve more as character individuality grows, as opposed to the tech game evolving and improving in Melee.

That being said, it would be impossible for me to tell you who to main. Whoever feels right, and whoever you think you can take with you as the game gets more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom