• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guilty Gear

estion11

Smash Apprentice
well guilty gear xx accent core is arriving at my house tomorrow (wii version) and im really excited ive been a fan of the guilty gear games since XX. any body else play guilty, and if so what characters do you use most. I like dizzy the best but am probably best with sol-badguy and testament.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Yay for guilty gear and accent core!

I play johnny, despite the fact that he got severely nerfed in AC ;_; High tier all the way to very bottom is quite sad.

Navo

Smash Apprentice
I've been meaning to check this out, i gotta raise some more money so i can go out and get it... i need a fighting game to keep me busy until brawl and street fighter 4 :p

Arcman

Smash Rookie
Awesome. Haven't played Accent Core myself, but I do love the Guilty Gear series.
(Second best fighter indeed... The best being Melty Blood Act Cadenza!
... Street fighter makes third.
That goes for 2D fighters though...)

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
There *was* a topic on Guilty Gear on here somewhere... maybe I should have bumped it again, but only one or two people posted right after the post about the english release...

pdk

Smash Lord
the king part is there for a reason, represent:

i'll probably go on record here or something for saying that there are plenty of fighters out there that are more complex than both 3rd strike and ssbm, but i digress

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
the king part is there for a reason, represent:

i'll probably go on record here or something for saying that there are plenty of fighters out there that are more complex than both 3rd strike and ssbm, but i digress
i always wanted to tryout a K.O.F. game. the style looks cool.
g2g boondox in 2 minutes

estion11

Smash Apprentice
ive been playing this game obsessively since i got it. Ive been using the gamecube controller and even though some bash it it works for me. I think my new favorite character has changed to ex slayer total rapist and I believe is on high tier below testament and eddie who are now top tier.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think Bridget was actually a transvestite, just a guy that was raised as a girl by his parents. He desperately wants to be more manly, in any case. Says so in his profile.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i heard accent core is really good.... as long as you dont use the remote/nunchuk controls. terrible reviews are coming in because they simply dont work, but the reviews also say the game works great with the classic controller and gamecube controller (i think it had gc controller support), so i dont think they reviews should have been as low as they were. if im not mistaken i think IGN gave it in the 5s pretty much just cause of terrible remote/nunchuk controls. thankfully brawl uses no motion.

however, i dont think guilty gear is the 2nd best fighter at all. iv played it, but not THAT much. i personally like DOA4 second best to smash. the graphics, online and mechanics are so awesome with DOA4. the counter system is really nice and is based a lot on predicting you opponents moves and being quick with your hands. the cast of characters is also great, from hot chicks and ninjas to drunken karate masters and a spartan soldier.

estion11

Smash Apprentice
i heard accent core is really good.... as long as you dont use the remote/nunchuk controls. terrible reviews are coming in because they simply dont work, but the reviews also say the game works great with the classic controller and gamecube controller (i think it had gc controller support), so i dont think they reviews should have been as low as they were. if im not mistaken i think IGN gave it in the 5s pretty much just cause of terrible remote/nunchuk controls. thankfully brawl uses no motion.

however, i dont think guilty gear is the 2nd best fighter at all. iv played it, but not THAT much. i personally like DOA4 second best to smash. the graphics, online and mechanics are so awesome with DOA4. the counter system is really nice and is based a lot on predicting you opponents moves and being quick with your hands. the cast of characters is also great, from hot chicks and ninjas to drunken karate masters and a spartan soldier.
yeah look at the look at the ps2 accent core review its like an 8 or something, but WTF you shame the 2d fighting genre to rate any DoA game above Guilty Gear is blasphemy. DoA games are like the least skill based of all fighting games.

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
You fail, ToXn. Any game that has 4, maybe 5 usable characters in it out of 60 doesn't even fit in the same league as Guilty Gear.
your right, guilty gear is so below MvCs league that guilty gear doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as MvC. (im being generous with that sentence)

yeah look at the look at the ps2 accent core review its like an 8 or something, but WTF you shame the 2d fighting genre to rate any DoA game above Guilty Gear is blasphemy. DoA games are like the least skill based of all fighting games.
Mortal Kombat says hi.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
your right, guilty gear is so below MvCs league that guilty gear doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as MvC. (im being generous with that sentence)

Mortal Kombat says hi.
MvC2 is good, but all it has going for it now is nostalgia. The age of MvC2 is long gone. That game was just spam spam spam.

Guilty Gear is probably the most balanced fighting game in existince(Virtua is the only one that challanges that, I hear), the best graphics in a 2D fighter, and some of the deepest gameplay.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
MvC2 is good, but all it has going for it now is nostalgia. The age of MvC2 is long gone. That game was just spam spam spam.

Guilty Gear is probably the most balanced fighting game in existince(Virtua is the only one that challanges that, I hear), the best graphics in a 2D fighter, and some of the deepest gameplay.
I'll have to go with street fighter for graphics though, go back to the original arcade version of it yeah... it still looks beautiful.

As far as my input for fighter. Best 3d i'll give to tekken or Soul Calibur II
2d is really really hard. Next to smash

GG
MvC2
Street fighter alpha III
Mortal kombat II
Fatal fury
KoF Evolution
Capcom vs. SNK

I'm going to have to stop now so uhhhhh *CLASH!*

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter II : Hyper Fighting was the BEST 2-D fighting game ever conceived, bar none, no questions, the BEST. The game engine was easy to pick up yet it had an extremely deep lvl of play, due to character individuality, and the long/mid/close range zoning and positioning game.

For ALL of you Balance Crybabies (makes wonder considering your playing SSBM, which is not balanced) SFII:HF has one of the most balanced rosters of ALL time. Everyone is useable besides arguably M. Bison, and even he does reasonably well, this is rivals VF4:FT's Balance roster, if not even better overall.

However I will emphasize this again...BALANCE IS OVERRATED!

King of Fighters 98 should be put in high regards as well, and definitely is one of the greatest 2-D Fighting Games of all time,this game is in the Top 3 best 2-D fighting games ever conceived.

GGXX is good, I would consider it Top 5, but NOT Top 3, nor the best.

Also to the people who claim MvC2 isn't good because of balance issues...seriously you are an Auto Fail then. I would LOVE to see anyone who bashes MvC2 to do some of the things that those guys can do at the high lvls of MvC2 play, that game is 100x more technical and demanding to play then SSBM on any lvl or the majority of most fighting games period, and I don't want to hear anything about "infinites" and blah, blah when Fox has one in SSBM.

Not to mention, Magneto is the ONLY character in MvC2 who can consistently land with an infinite...yet the Infinity isn't even his Strong point, but his Combo Resets which aren't infinites.

Top 3 2-D Fighters of All Time

1. Street Fighter II : Hyper Fighting
2. King of Fighters 98
3. Super Street Fighter II : Turbo

After that, I would put GGXX 4th because even with their game engine surprisingly having 10938403298 Universal Gimmicks is actually quite well made and thought out, a very good game, with a well polished game engine.

At 5th, you could argue which, but for me, I would put MvC2, the game engine is just so flexible and the technicality to play MvC2 pushes it to #5.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
d00d... why would anyone who bashes MvC2 play it at a high enough level to pull off advanced combos in it? Seriously... do you people even ****ing THINK before you open your mouths? Why would I want to sit around a play a game I think is ridiculous and stupid, because you're locked into using, basically, 4 characters if you want to be viable, so that I can prove a point? Do you realize that MvC2 has been out for an entire year longer than Melee? Jwong and the like have been playing that game for SEVEN YEARS now, I'd be utterly embarassed to share a planet with them if they weren't absolute freaking gods at the game by now. Anyone who plays any game enough can make it look impressive; it doesn't make that game good just because someone plays it well. On a side note, how are combo resets THAT much different from infinites? That's suggesting that you're doing combos that are long enough to require a reset to the combo scaling, so if you can do that, what's keeping you from making it an infinite?

And what about Guilty Gear is a "universal gimmick," pray tell? Combo breaking via Bursts? Being able to chain only certain moves into others, rather than just light->medium->hard? Having a guard meter instead of just scaling combo damage? Roman Cancels? Dust combos? Or are you just not allowed to have punches and kicks in a game, because street fighter already did that?

Personally, I hate Street Fighter, because of its speed. I can't stand the way that the game plays, is all. For all I know, the roster is incredibly balanced. I just don't care. My idea of a good time isn't walking back and forth, hitting 2MK every once in a while. I like being able to play a crazy fast-paced rushdown game if I want to. I can't really explain everything that turns me off about Street Fighter that I like about Guilty Gear, but I suppose the best thing I could do to explain it would be... everything. Off topic, I think it's silly for you to put 2 separate revisions of a game in your top 3.

Another thing about balance. I know it's impossible to make everyone even without destroying the individuality of the characters. I don't expect this. But I don't want to read an article about MvC2's pros and good teams, and see one team that doesn't involve at least 2 of the top 4 characters in it. Smash Bros isn't balanced, no, but I play a mean enough Young Link to the point where I can beat all of my regular competition with him. And he's not even close to my main; he comes after Marth, Falcon, Peach, Mario, Jiggs, and Mewtwo. Yeah, Mewtwo. I win matches with him too.

You know, reading this topic made me realize, I've never played a single King of Fighters game. Closest I've ever come is Capcom vs. SNK 2 (which I also hated, but at least I could play as a character with a sword...) I must make an attempt to acquire King of Fighters.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Personally, I hate Street Fighter, because of its speed. I can't stand the way that the game plays, is all. For all I know, the roster is incredibly balanced. I just don't care. My idea of a good time isn't walking back and forth, hitting 2MK every once in a while. I like being able to play a crazy fast-paced rushdown game if I want to. I can't really explain everything that turns me off about Street Fighter that I like about Guilty Gear, but I suppose the best thing I could do to explain it would be... everything. Off topic, I think it's silly for you to put 2 separate revisions of a game in your top 3.
SF3 is slow

SF2 is fast

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
d00d... why would anyone who bashes MvC2 play it at a high enough level to pull off advanced combos in it? Seriously... do you people even ****ing THINK before you open your mouths? Why would I want to sit around a play a game I think is ridiculous and stupid, because you're locked into using, basically, 4 characters if you want to be viable, so that I can prove a point? Do you realize that MvC2 has been out for an entire year longer than Melee? Jwong and the like have been playing that game for SEVEN YEARS now, I'd be utterly embarassed to share a planet with them if they weren't absolute freaking gods at the game by now. Anyone who plays any game enough can make it look impressive; it doesn't make that game good just because someone plays it well. On a side note, how are combo resets THAT much different from infinites? That's suggesting that you're doing combos that are long enough to require a reset to the combo scaling, so if you can do that, what's keeping you from making it an infinite?
Blackheart
CapCom
Cable
Cykes
Doom
IM
WM
Magz
Sent
Spiral
Storm
Strider w/ Doom
Psylock

There are many other assist characters which are perfectly viable in tourney play (Cammy, Tron, Ken, etc) also a few very highly debated characters (Dhalsim, anakaris, Omega Red). So I would guess there are probably around 15-20 chars that are usable for tourney play. While it is still less then half the cast 15-20 chars to mix and match into teams of 3 leaves for alot of different combinations and possibilities.

If you think MvC2 is stupid because everyone commonly uses the Big4 I see no reason why you should play SSBM then. Fox, Marth, Falco clearly dominate the scene and are easily the most common characters in tourney play. lol look at the current tier list it more commonly resembles MvC2 now with Fox and Falco now having a tier solely for them.

Also Combo resets are nothing like infinites. If anything that only proves how little you know about MvC2 so your opinion holds little if ANY importance. Most combo's into resets are only a few fierce hits anyways because they want to reset the scale and keep pounding away with more fierce. If you consider that even close to any kind of infinite Im beginning to doubt you even know what a combo is.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Also Combo resets are nothing like infinites. If anything that only proves how little you know about MvC2 so your opinion holds little if ANY importance. Most combo's into resets are only a few fierce hits anyways because they want to reset the scale and keep pounding away with more fierce. If you consider that even close to any kind of infinite Im beginning to doubt you even know what a combo is.
Bad comprehension buddy,

his point isn't reset = infinites, his point is why would I want to reset if I can infinite my opp till he dies?

the reason you do it is because of meter, also because of execution

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
These are the kind of comments that says to me that this person has NO CLUE how the game engine of MvC2 works. Firstly, MvC2 is quite easy to pick up, however the deep end of the game is 50x more difficult to get to then SSBM...get it? That involves the strategies/positioning games/mixups/Assist...anyone who believes MvC2 is 1 vs 1 will die period.

J. Wong "just" doesn't play MvC2, he does great across the boards on every game he touches, look at him in 3S, look at him in ST, look at him CvsS2...he does great in ALL of them, not just MvC2.

MvC2 is impressive, because of how much freedom you have within the game engine itself, so I don't know what your crying about. Also, LMAO at you saying Combo Resets are like Infinites...anyone who knows Magneto's Combo Resets are NOT 100% and can be avoided/Stopped. Magneto is still the ONLY character with a consistent Infinity, and btw...Mangeto is the MOST DIFFICULT Big 4 character to Master, due to him having no long-range game, and him having to rushing down not blindlessly, but effectively and mixing him to get in his pokes.

Seriously, don't talk about a game that you have very little knowledge about.

And what about Guilty Gear is a "universal gimmick," pray tell? Combo breaking via Bursts? Being able to chain only certain moves into others, rather than just light->medium->hard? Having a guard meter instead of just scaling combo damage? Roman Cancels? Dust combos? Or are you just not allowed to have punches and kicks in a game, because street fighter already did that?
Universal Gimmicks ='s Universal Tools, like in GGXX there is numerous Defensive tools that EVERYONE can use, much like how Parry is a Universal Tool that Everyone can use in 3S. However GGXX did a reasonable job in this department, which I complemented them for it..wtf does Combos or Dust Loops have anything to do with Universal Gimmicks...:confused:, get your things in gear before you make such a smart remark.

Anyone who doesn't have a clue in the world on how to play Street Fighter wouldn't consider it good...isn't that a pretty obvious answer to your own statement. Btw...if you think hitting MK once in a while is the way to play SF, you do not qualify to speak of the game...because that is just simply the most unintelligent comment I've seen in a long while.

SFII required thinking 3-5 Stages ahead, because you had to worry about your positioning, your opponents positioning, the range that your at, the options that you have, and the options that your opponents had. Then you start to limit them on their options while having every opportunity to punish them on the few options that they do still have left.

However, that is just a small little statement from the big deep gameplay involved in SFII, and if you didn't realize, there are rushdown characters in SFII...however you never played the game, so why am I even bothering.

The reason why SFII makes in the top 3, is because of their game engine and what they bring to the table...what does it say to you when 15+ years they are still receiving competitive gameplay, in SFII:CE which older then HF is STILL getting competitive play.

Another thing about balance. I know it's impossible to make everyone even without destroying the individuality of the characters. I don't expect this. But I don't want to read an article about MvC2's pros and good teams, and see one team that doesn't involve at least 2 of the top 4 characters in it. Smash Bros isn't balanced, no, but I play a mean enough Young Link to the point where I can beat all of my regular competition with him. And he's not even close to my main; he comes after Marth, Falcon, Peach, Mario, Jiggs, and Mewtwo. Yeah, Mewtwo. I win matches with him too.

You know, reading this topic made me realize, I've never played a single King of Fighters game. Closest I've ever come is Capcom vs. SNK 2 (which I also hated, but at least I could play as a character with a sword...) I must make an attempt to acquire King of Fighters.
Dude...LOOK at SSBM...who dominates the majority of the Tournaments???? Please...answer in plain english, because your being a biased hypocrite by saying that MvC2...yet SSBM is JUST AS BAD, oh and btw, you beating your regular competition with Young Link PROVES NOTHING. There's a Japanese player who is effectively good with Necro in 3S and he's able to contend against the Top-Tier characters with him at tournament play...so Necro "should" be as good as Yun, Chun and Ken right?

Get your head in straight man, infact if you look at SSB64 and SSBM, NONE of those where balanced at all, if your such an advent devoter to balance. Why do you not say anything about the SSB games then?

Honestly, your statement above makes me just simply sick with your hypocrisy.

MvC2 isn't great from a balance perspective....yet surprisingly even out of the Big 4, there are competitive characters that have done excellent in Major Tournaments...like Duc using Spiral, or JWong using Cyclops or ClockWork using Strider/Doom...and btw, these have been consistent. I will agree that the Big 4 are the most dominant, but there are alot of Strong Top Tier Characters in there, Cyclops, Spiral, IM, Strider w/Doom, etc etc.

However the gameplay of learning and playing MvC2 is BIG, and it's not easy at all, it's one of the most demanding Fighting Games to understand and apply the high lvl strategies involved, just getting in the technical standpoints is tough.

To bash this game is simply outrageous, if you haven't even remotely taken the time to understand it's gameplay mechanics. Also...don't talk about Street Fighter if you've never played beyond the Scrub Lvl.

SFII:HF for 2-D Fighters to this day still has no equal in polished game engine+depth+balance, nothing even comes close.

PS: LMAO at you only liking CvsS2 because there are characters in the game with swords...:laugh: That right there pretty much says it for me about how little you know about the majority of 2-D fighters

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Bad comprehension buddy,

his point isn't reset = infinites, his point is why would I want to reset if I can infinite my opp till he dies?

the reason you do it is because of meter, also because of execution
lol Sorry I wasn't able to dissect that from his clump of words. He worded his last couple of sentences terribly and I had trouble trying to decipher what he was trying to say.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Marvel is win; it's far more exciting to play than Guilty Gear is.

And if people think that Melee is balanced, then why does everyone play top 4 pretty much? Hmmm?

I think I'll practice up on my marvel game. Team Scrub for life, lol.

Top Bottom