• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide: Importing Brawl

Vividice

Smash Cadet
Since the europe player base is ****ed up due to the release date, I hope we could't summarize what is necessary to import the game.
This Guide could be helpful for some people from the US too.

1.) The Wii
You need a Wii which is able to boot the Brawl Import.
There are 2 possible ways to accomplish this:

-Buying a US/*** Wii
pros: 100%legal, no warranty issues
cons: expensive + you need a transformer

-Mod your existing Wii
pros: cheap, easy to get
cons: you lose your warranty

2.) The Game

It's your choice: US or japanese Version

And this is the point where I, and many other people, need help:

- Where can you buy a imported Wii?

- Where can you buy a modchip? Can you mod it by your own?

- On which stores can you buy the imported game?

Please share your links and insights with us.

Thank you very much,
Vividice

Vividice

Smash Cadet
/bump

Which Modchip is better for importgames?

CycloWiz

WiiKey
or
WiiD

Kiri

Smash Cadet
Hey, if anyone wants a JPN Wii, I'd be only too happy to help!

Prices would be about $270 or £150 in real money :p

This includes P&P, what do people think? I guess I'd have to include the game as well which would add another $50/£35 onto the price.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
If you're interested in modding you Wii, I advise against it right now. I modded mine. There will be new modchips which will allow more things than just pirating/importing games (homebrew apps).
Though technically you can get a drivechip mod to do homebrew, they will be outdated.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
- Where can you buy a imported Wii?
I personally got my import Wii off of Ebay, Japanese ones are quite easy to find at an affordable price (~$150-$250 USD including postage). You can also find American Wiis, but it's almost impossible to get at a reasonable price as competition is so fierce for it. (Looking at $400 USD) that and most US Ebayers selling Wiis won't ship outside the united states.

If you're not feeling as money conscious, then online stores like http://www.play-asia.com or http://www.burn.com.au (Aus) are good places to get import products if you're willing to pay the price premium for the convenience.

- On which stores can you buy the imported game?
As mentioned earlier, Play Asia and Burn import games. Another store I've heard lots of recommendations for is http://www.yesasia.com . Otherwise if you're not looking for games straight away at release, a LOT of ebay people sell games internationally and usually at the local RRP (Which is half price or more if you take into account the currency conversion).

Xedi

Smash Cadet
Following eagerly this thread.
Any information about modchips ? I'm not really willing to spend that much money on buying another Wii...
From what I've seen, there is no modchip that gives total compatibility for import games (all of them only have partial support). Hopefully Brawl will be supported...
Has anyone got any information on what that partial support is ? Do most games work with some exceptions, or do nearly none work ?

Edit : Found a compatibility list : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wii_Region_Patcher_Compatibility_List:_PAL

Sagem

Smash Rookie
So Im european and I have an american wii, with several games and a Brawl preorder.

Well, the best site for importing US or maybe I should say Canadian games and consoles is easily www.vgp.ca, they have cheap prices and a very good support.
The shipping took about 3 days from Canada to me in Sweden.

Im very happy and I will never go mack to european consoles. Im done as a european gamer. :lick:

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
Whatever you do, if a game requires an update, make sure your Wii has the correct firmware before trying to play the game. If you try to update your Wii with a game that is from a different region, you'll end up bricking your system.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Whatever you do, if a game requires an update, make sure your Wii has the correct firmware before trying to play the game. If you try to update your Wii with a game that is from a different region, you'll end up bricking your system.
Agreed. this is the only thing making me wait untill after first day of the japanese release to download it. Its possible to get around this for different regions when people create the ISO file. Time will tell.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
I bought a Japanese wii and Smash brothers X from playasia.com! It was expensive sure but well worth it imo..

If your gonna import from there better do so fast looks like many americans are and it will probubly be sold out soon.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
If you're interested in modding you Wii, I advise against it right now. I modded mine. There will be new modchips which will allow more things than just pirating/importing games (homebrew apps).
Though technically you can get a drivechip mod to do homebrew, they will be outdated.
people only want to mod their wii's for brawl on the meantime.

allright everyone, what you want to get is a cyclowiz and possibly a gen 1 wii (easiest to mod) the hard part will be soldering the chip into the cd drive but you should be able to find someone to do it if you cant.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
I went with the expensive way, I bought a Japanese wii and a pre order of Smash bros X from play asia.. expensive but worth it imo

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
Well, I just scored a Japanese Wii off eBay and am ordering my game from Play-Asia. Just that bit cheaper. You will also need an adapter for a Japanese Wii to play in any region, which is what I also need to get.

Mr.Snifflez

Smash Cadet
Well, I just scored a Japanese Wii off eBay and am ordering my game from Play-Asia. Just that bit cheaper. You will also need an adapter for a Japanese Wii to play in any region, which is what I also need to get.
Can you give me an estimated price of what everything costed?

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Will a japanese wii be able to connect to the internet with a american USB connector?

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the Nintendo Wii would let it. <.<
Why not? Thats how i get on the internet with my US wii..I dont understand why it woulden't work on a japanese wii as well. I'll still at least try to connect it with that anyways lol

But oh well guess that means i wont be brawling online till the US release.

I bought a Japanese wii and Smash brothers X from playasia.com! It was expensive sure but well worth it imo..

If your gonna import from there better do so fast looks like many americans are and it will probubly be sold out soon.
It's amazing what people will do with their dispersable income for the sake of waiting.

I really don't think it's necessary to do this if you don't live in Europe or Australia. I don't know about you guys, but I rather not purchase another consol / void my waranty for a game that will be released eventually. But hey, more power to ya'.

Top Bottom