• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grim's Pichu Tip of the Weak

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No, that wasn't a misspelling of week.

Hopefully this will help increase the activity of these boards. Basically, I'll give an example of a specific strategy or tip to help your overall game as Pichu. These could be match-up or move specific bites of trivia, or general hints related to spacing or mind-games.

Each Tip of the Weak will be listed in the summary below for reference with a link to where the discussion for the tip starts.

Note that I won't necessarily update this at the start of every week, but I will definitely keep this regularly updated on a weekly basis, barring uncontrollable circumstances.

Feel free to join in the discussions!

Grim's TotW Contents:
  1. Thunder and how to use it properly.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
TotW #1: Thunder and how to use it properly.

Thunder is Pichu's Downward Special, and one of Pichu's most underrated moves. Before I go into it's uses, let me first explain it's mechanics to any of the recently-hatched Pichu's reading this :).

----------

Frame Data:
Thunder has a total of 78 frames, with hit-boxes appearing on the 20th, 28th, 36th and 44th frames. With the hit-boxes disappearing on the 60th, 68th, 76th and 84th frames. If Pichu is hit by the Thunder, he receives 69 frames of lag, though his body becomes a large (by Pichu's standards), powerful hit-box on frames 1-9. Pichu will be hit on frame 40 by the Thunder if he is grounded, and frame 53 if he is falling.

----------​

Pichu can avoid being hit by the Thunder if he has some form of horizontal momentum when using the move OR if a platform is in-between Pichu and the attack. If the Thunder DOES hit him, he takes 3% recoil damage.

Now then, onto the part you've all been waiting for:

----------​

Applications:
For starters, hitting yourself with Thunder is almost always a bad idea. The extra frames of lag make it very difficult to get frame advantage even if it hits, and the strong hit-box surrounding Pichu is situational at best. So you are going to want to initiate it from a short hop in most cases (or a moon-walk short hop if you are fancy). Assuming Pichu doesn't get hit, Thunder's final hit-box comes out as Pichu recovers from the lag, allowing him to use it as a VERY safe wall AND to combo off of it.

What does this mean for Pichu? Basically it gives him a tool to slow down the pace of the game. Pichu is a character based entirely around his speed, gimps and juggling/chain-grabs. A typical situation where he will be over-whelmed by the opponent is when he can't control space (as due to limited options, controlling space 100% of the time is the only way he will be able to get a hit in).

When Thunder hits, you are given ample time to do... basically anything. Using your speed, you can set yourself up in the perfect position to hit the opponent and start a juggle while at the same time completely resetting positions! When you hit with a SH Thunder you will presumably be close to your opponent, so the best option at low percents would be too get a grab or up air and work off of that. Alternatively, you can place yourself in the perfect position to respond to their next move, maybe even into another SH Thunder!

You can see a short video demonstrating the basics of this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3Qb5LcT9o

Edge-Cancelling
Edge-cancelling is when you use your momentum to fall off of a ledge during the ending lag of an attack to cancel it. Due to the high amount of lag on Pichu's Thunder, it is VERY easy to edge-cancel, allowing you to use the above spacing strategy but with much more versatility. Practice edge-cancelling from different platforms on different stages by full or short-hopping into a Thunder and sliding off of them. This is very useful on stages like Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle and Rainbow Ride, where you are given lots of different angles to perform it from.​

Extra Damage on Airborne Opponents:
The final, more common use for Thunder is to tack on extra damage on opponents high above you. This will normally be a fast-faller who you have just hit with Up Smash, or a Peach/Jigglypuff recovering high. Use the same strategy of short-hopping it to avoid the extra lag, there isn't really that much else to say about this strategy.​

----------

Remember Pichu's, practice makes perfect! This definitely isn't a move that can or should be spammed, and it might take a while to get the feel for when it is safe to use.

I'll be going over another of Pichu's Specials next week, but until then: Discuss! ;)

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Okay, I finally got time to try some of this out, had a crazy weekend.

Anyway I seen a lot what you said is true, pichu just lags to much when using this move a close distance, so it's always best to use this as wall for edge guarding, or if you knock the enemy high enough to use this without getting punished for it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
no... you should probably rarely use this attack...

I usually only use it after an upsmash or if they are way above me and they won't be able to punish me for missing.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
it seems like it would be a semi nice edgeguarding tactic- as in, jumping from off stage onto the stage doing it as your opponent recovers from offstage to onstage. its a giant wall if it doesnt hit the ground, and allows pichu to escape behind it. whaddya think?

Top Bottom