• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Down Taunt Used Offensively

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
Taunts that at least do damage have existed ever since the first Smash - Luigi was the first to do this. There have been a few others over the years that have had some kind of value other than just infuriating your opponent, like Snake's box for example. In this game, Megaman's down taunt can be used as a spot dodge but I wouldn't recommend it, and of course there's Greninja's down taunt (the one where he squirts water from his hands), has surprised me more than any of them!

Now, I'm not saying it should be used very often, but it almost counts as another attack, and that's because of the knockback. It only does about 3% or so, but at pretty much any other percentage it'll send an opponent flying (never enough to KO, mind, it always is the same distance). I really don't think I would ever use it in a serious combo chain or anything, but it doesn't work like any of his other attacks, and the surprise value may be worth it in the end. What do you think?

RyutheWolf64

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
I've only ever used it once against an actual person but it did make me laugh at the fact that Bowser was knocked back by this tiny, not strong at all fountain coming out of Greninja's hand.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
It seems too slow to be worth anything.Comedic value is cool.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I tested it in training mode- earliest it would KO Rosalina on FD is 477%. So that's interesting

Spirst

It can be used somewhat offensively if you don't mean actually using the taunt itself to KO. You can shadow sneak, do the taunt, then reappear and hit the person trying to punish you thinking you're an idiot for randomly taunting.

Last edited:

bajisci

Smash Ace
The way-bigger-than necessary hitbox will likely surprise your opponent and the hitbox also stays out for a really long time. You can do like taunt > uair if its the first time you do the taunt on someone

Sneak Frog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scrappert
Note: Don't try it too many times in With Anyone or else your taunts will be disabled. I tried it twice, not even that quickly between each time, and I couldn't use it anymore. Use it wisely.

Her0Noi5e

Smash Cadet
I've done it once, online, it was pretty funny, but I don't believe the guy that I was playing was very good. he rolled into it.

it's a fun little feature, but I doubt I'd actually try to incorporate it into my fighting style.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
yeah i have no idea why it's doing that for some people, it works fine for me in firefox though

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I had taunt-punished a roll and followed with an up-air for an easy kill :troll:.

Honestly, this taunt is pretty freakin' good lol. It's very situational, but it's practically another move.

Dwho?

Smash Rookie
This is a good mixup on characters who like to jump around greninja. I've been able to use this successfully on sheik and I think it could work well on sonic. Idk. I do know that it isn't that safe but of they jump when you do it, it sends them flying in the air.
it's great to relieve pressure for you and also give you stage control.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Seems like no one has mentioned a certain thing: there is a video of Greninja's taunt flat out beating Ness's Pk Thunder 2, which probably means that the move has reasonable disjointed range or really freakin' good priority. Either way it seems oddly good for (at least what is supposed to be) a complete joke move.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Seems like no one has mentioned a certain thing: there is a video of Greninja's taunt flat out beating Ness's Pk Thunder 2, which probably means that the move has reasonable disjointed range or really freakin' good priority. Either way it seems oddly good for (at least what is supposed to be) a complete joke move.
Whoa whoa whoa. What? :00 Any vids?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I've only ever used it once against an actual person but it did make me laugh at the fact that Bowser was knocked back by this tiny, not strong at all fountain coming out of Greninja's hand.
Was this in for glory? I might have been that Bowser, I remember a Greninja using the waterspout taunt a few times, it caught me by surprise at first, but then I walked into it a few times because I thought it was funny.

bajisci

Smash Ace
If it beats Ness's up b, it probably beats anything else that isnt a sword and doesnt have armor. Bowser jr's clown cart has armor, probably doesnt work.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It doesn't, sadly.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
When I found out about it, I was at a For Glory Greninja ditto match and the other one tried to Shadow Sneak me while I was taunting and he got hit instead.

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash

i was able to use invulnerability and down-taunt to finish a for glory match against this eager dark pit player

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
It can be used somewhat offensively if you don't mean actually using the taunt itself to KO. You can shadow sneak, do the taunt, then reappear and hit the person trying to punish you thinking you're an idiot for randomly taunting.
Thank you sir, its posts like these that make coming to the smash boards worth while!

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Does the taunt not cause any hitstun like Greninja's up-b? I've put a lot of people high into the air while free falling using hydro pump while they recover, does the taunt juggle them without hitting them out of free fall as well?

Last edited:

Spirst

The taunt seems to have two parts. There's the actual hitbox that causes hitstun located on Greninja's hands. In addition, there's a windbox (like the hydro pump) situated at the water fountain area that pushes the other person upwards and causes no hitstun. If they jump/double jump from landing on the fountain, they'll fly up high.

Something I really want to see is Greninja in doubles using the dtaunt fountain to boost his teammate into the air to follow someone up high for a star KO. That will be the best doubles moment in Smash.

Last edited:

HvEVIL

Smash Rookie
Something I really want to see is Greninja in doubles using the dtaunt fountain to boost his teammate into the air to follow someone up high for a star KO. That will be the best doubles moment in Smash.
I can see that team tech being kinda hype

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I am legitimately trying to create setups around this or just get a good idea on when to use it for max effectiveness. I love dumb stuff like this.

I had a pretty awesome moment happen in a match two days ago though. I baited someone into running into the down tilt for a pretty ridiculous combo and had to pause mid match to absorb it all.

Last edited:

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
I have done any really extensive testing with it or anything, but it seems to me that down-taunting's best use is mindgames. Punishing baited counters, for instance, with the taunt isn't the most optimal use of an opening, but it's great for that "so good, I'm just toying with you" look. It's also a lot of fun to pull off. It kinda has that Falcon Punch feeling to it.

I can just imagine future tournament highlight reels including sick down-taunt to kill combos.

Top Bottom