• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Graphix Gaming 8 - Next: TBD

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thumbs: Are you Jersey SHORE?! said:
PEOPLE ATTENDING:
Bones

Graphix's Smash Picture Gallery

Thanks to everyone who has recorded videos:
EPsilon933
JCaesar
Winston
UltimaScout

PRICES:
- Venue Fee: $5
- Singles: $10 per person
- Doubles: $20 per team
- Payout Scheme: 60/30/10

SCHEDULE OUTLINE:
12:00 PM - Doors open; Warm-up friendlies
1:00 PM - Doubles starts
3:00 PM - Singles starts
7:00 PM - Pro/Am Doubles Tourney
9:00 PM - Pack up

VENUE:
Graphix Gaming Center
8 Newport Drive, Forest Hill, MD 21050
(410) 420-6811 (Venue phone)
(443) 823-4922 (My cell; texting is fine)

- If it's your first time coming, just look for the venue across the street from the Pizza Hut. There is a huge banner above the entrance.
- There is plenty of parking, both directly in front of, behind, and nearby the venue. The reserved parking is just reserved for our customers (i.e. you guys), not just for employees.
- There are plenty of chairs, as well as space for setups. We've added a large 3D TV on one side that we will place setups around, so PLEASE be careful.

GENERAL RULES:
- Respect the equipment. Whether it belongs to Graphix or a fellow smasher, no one wants to have to worry about their stuff.
- All food must be eaten in the party room. You may take drinks to your station while you play, but just be careful not to spill anything.
- If you have a suggestion, idea, complaint, anything, do not hesitate to contact me either through this thread, a PM, or by phone or email.

FOOD & DRINK:
- There are many places to get food nearby, such as Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, Subway, McDonald's, and even a grocery store.
- The venue has two huge vending machines with many different kinds of energy drinks, sodas, and snacks.

MELEE RULES:
- 4 stocks
- ALL sets are a Best of 5
- No items
- 8 minute timer
- Time limit tie breakers are as follows: most stocks; least %; 1-stock, 4-min rematch; play out Sudden Death (lol Bob-ombs)
- Pause is disabled (if you forget to turn it off, I promise to pause-unpause right before your ledge tech)
- Stalling and game-freezing glitches are banned
- Wobbling is legal
- At either player's request, neutral ports (for starting positions) may be enforced.
- Stages are struck in 1221 fashion (lowest port chooses striking order; port conflicts decided by RPS).
- Each player gets 1 ban after a win. Bans are temporary, and do not last the entire set (Ex. You win Game 1 and ban FD. I counterpick DL and lose Game 2 as well. You can reban FD or switch your ban to DL (or any other stage).
- Modified DSR: Players cannot counterpick the stage they last won on.
- Characters are chosen PRIOR to stage bans and counterpicks (Ex. I win Game 1 on BF. I choose my character. You choose your character. I ban a stage. You choose a counterpick from the remaining stages.).

LEGAL STAGES:
Singles:
- Battlefield
- Dream Land
- Final Destination
- Fountain of Dreams
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium (counter-pick)

Doubles:
- Battlefield
- Dream Land
- Final Destination
- Pokemon Stadium
- Yoshi's Story
- Kongo Jungle (counter-pick)

PRO/AM DOUBLES TOURNAMENT:
We all know Melee is an amazing game, but because the game has so much depth and the skill gap is so huge, many new players are intimidated, and rightfully so, as they all go 2 and out with little to no feedback on how or why they just got matched up with the best player round 1 and destroyed by a low tier character. Obviously that is a result of seeding, and messing with seeding at all would only serve to undermine the integrity of the competition at the tournament. Instead, I have devised this FREE entry doubles tournament to promote comradery among players of all skill level and at the same time have some fun competition. Here's how it will work.

Based on the rankings of the results from singles, doubles teams will be created starting with the best and worst players. The higher you placed in the bracket, the lower the placing of your teammate will be. This is a perfect chance for the better players to give the newer players some solid advice without having to awkwardly point out stuff that is obvious to them as they destroy them in a 1v1. It should be very natural to want to help out your teammate since helping him play better will ultimately get you both farther into the tourney. Other than creating the teams, it's just your average doubles tourney. If anyone has any suggestions or concerns about this idea, please let me know.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well it automatically puts it in the thread title. If I put it in the tournament name then it would read:
Graphix Gaming 7 - March 5th, 2011 - March 5th, 2011 - Forest Hill, MD

>.>

Bones0

Smash Legend
But it is. If you go to the Tournament Listings forum, the title of the thread is "AtlNorth Melee: Graphix Gaming 7 - March 5th, 2011 - Forest Hill, MD".

I do not give up on arguments about semantics, so BTFO! XD

Nilhil

Smash Rookie
Hello, I would like to attend, this will be my first tournament.

Nil

Are there any additional rules I should be aware of?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yay at new people coming!

As far as additional rules, there really aren't any that aren't explained in the first post. If you have specific questions when you get there you can ask me in person and I should be able to explain how everything works.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Wow dude I like that Pro/AM doubles thing. : D

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's an aite idea, but most newbies just need to up their tech skill before competent tournament players can even begin to give them advice ... :|

CTL17

Smash Lord
We did Pro/Am doubles at Syphers. It was really fun since every game was pretty close. I also theorize that the team where the two players are of similar skill level do best.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I should have my license by then, so the chances of me going to this are about 75%. Go ahead and put me down :) I can go as long as nothing else comes up O_~b

Top Bottom