• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Theft Auto IV

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Official Site

Summary:
The highly anticipated next gen sequel in the Grand Theft Auto franchise - currently being released on XBox360 and PS3. Making use of the RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) to immerse the player in beautiful environments with advanced animations.
Rockstar conquers all again with the next in its city-sprawling, crime-ridden series in Grand Theft Auto IV. Niko Bellic is an Eastern European immigrant in his mid-thirties, who has come to Liberty City to pursue the "American Dream". Niko was persuaded to move to Liberty City by his cousin Roman, who claimed in multiple e-mails to Niko that he was living a fabulous life, with two women, four hot tubs and fifteen sports cars; but he was in fact telling lies to hide his own failures.

Grand Theft Auto IV: Wikipedia

Trailers:
Trailer 1: Things Will Be Different
Trailer 2: Looking for that Special Someone
Trailer 3: Move Up, Ladies
Trailer 4: Good lord, what are you doing? AKA Everyone's a rat

Reviews:

Gametrailers Video: 9.8/10

1UP: A+
Video here

IGN: 10/10
Video here
"Expectations were so high for Grand Theft Auto IV that one of the biggest surprises is that it’s managed to meet them. That it’s also gone on to confound these is truly a marvel, and the game’s Liberty City is nothing less than one of the greatest videogame worlds yet conceived. With this game, Rockstar has set out to free itself from the excesses of the series past to emphasise the character of its world, and in doing so has created a high watermark in the relationship between narrative and play. It’s no less than the definitive open world game, and by that measure the definitive interactive experience of this generation to date."

CVG: 10/10
"Rest assured, it's a technical marvel and the most exhilarating gaming experience you'll have all year. Hell, maybe even in the last decade."

TVG: 10/10
"Smashing down the barriers between videogames and movies, GTA4 is what happens when flawless game design and ridiculously high production values collide. Whereas Rockstar were quite happy to homage and spoof their way through periods with the GTA3 trilogy, GTA4 stands out quite differently. It's Rockstar doing contemporary, addressing current issues and telling their own story instead of lampooning their way through it."

Gamespy: 5/5
"Suffice it to say that Grand Theft Auto IV is a game that could keep anyone busy for a long, long time. Although its got plenty of excellent features, it's ultimately the storytelling that makes it an instant classic, a game unlike any we've played before. As is the case with many great books and movies, you'll want to know what happens to the characters after the game ends, and one can't help hoping that all of their American Dreams comes true."

Eurogamer: 10/10
"GTA IV is the 10/10 you were expecting. Almost everything you do in Liberty City would be good enough to drive its own game, and the best parts would be good enough to outrun the competition, but the reason it works so well is that Rockstar has made a game that requires no patience to play. This, as much as its usual coherency and the best script in the series, is what makes GTA IV the best openworld game yet, and why it will take something miraculous to rob it of game of the year status."

Videogamer: 10/10
"light problems aside, no-one old enough to play GTA 4 should pass it up. It's certainly a mature experience - in tone, violence and language - but that actually makes it even more unique. For all the controversy that Rockstar generates, GTA 4 has moved video games on to a point that most developers just won't be able to compete with. We all knew GTA 4 would be a great game and sell millions of copies, but I didn't expect it to shame pretty much every other game I've played this generation."

TeamXBox: 10/10
"I won’t beat around the bush: Grand Theft Auto IV is the greatest game to come out for the Xbox 360 so far."

Game Informer: 10/10
"Grand Theft Auto IV doesn’t just raise the bar for the storied franchise; it completely changes the landscape of gaming. Once you play it, you won’t look at video games the same way again."

Gamesradar: 10/10
"It's not flawless, and it probably won't change your life, but GTA IV is an absolutely amazing piece of entertainment. It does things that no other game does, it's immersive in ways that no other game is and it's one of the biggest, wildest, most enjoyable games we've ever played."

Gameplanet: 10/10
"It is easily the greatest game in the series, and possibly one of the best games ever made."

UGO: A+
"There you have it. Grand Theft Auto 4 is the very best that the medium has to offer right now, as close to perfect as any game has yet come. The flaws are there for those who really want to find them, but the overall experience far eclipses any momentary frustrations. Really, any criticisms we can think of to level at the game are minor and nitpicky. If you own an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 and are old enough to handle the game's mature themes, Grand Theft Auto 4 is an absolute must-own title. Just like III before it, the game is a true system-seller."

Gamespot: 10/10
Video here
"Grand Theft Auto IV is a game that you simply have to play. The single-player game, which you can still play long after you complete the story, is the series' best by far, and the multiplayer features are good enough that you'll likely have no problem finding people to play with for many months to come."

G4 (with Video): 5/5
"Grand Theft Auto IV is not just a great GTA game, but a legitimately great game. Rockstar North has taken the series that defined the previous gaming generation and not only updated it to meet next-gen standards, but raised the bar for all subsequent open-world games."

GameDaily: 10/10
"Grand Theft Auto IV lives up to its grand expectations by weaving a Hollywood-ready "American Dream" plotline with a finely-tuned game experience -- taking the tried-and-true GTA formula and plugging it into a living, breathing version of Liberty City."

Atomic Gamer: 97%
"For the vast majority of gamers this is going to be their game of the year, and the developers at Rockstar deserve every bit of praise they'll get."

play™: 98%
"Games like GTA IV can offer all the story, all the immersion and all the witty, post-modernistic commentary you could ever wish for, wrapped-up in grin-inducing gameplay that never lets up or becomes repetitive.

This is indeed a vital game."

Cheat Code Central: 4.9/5
"Simply put, GTA IV improves upon the GTA formula in just about every way imaginable. Almost anything that I can think of that frustrated me about the previous titles in the series has been fixed or completely reworked, leaving only an amazing experience in its stead. With one of the most compelling stories ever told by a video game, an extremely likeable main character, an insane amount of online modes, and virtually no flaws to be detected, GTA IV is even more than it was expected to be by fans. This is honestly a must own title for anyone who is of age and owns a PS3 or Xbox 360. The original kings of sandbox gameplay have clearly made this a game that will not likely be dethroned easily, if at all. But as with GTA 3, it is likely to spawn several sub-par imitations from other companies that try to recapture the same magic for years to come."

MSXboxWorld: 9.5/10
"If you were forced to play just one game over and over, then GTA 4 would make a great contender to have in that situation based on the current library of games on Xbox 360."

NZGamer: 9.9/10
"It’s not perfect, but given the equipment available today, it’s as close as anyone is likely to get. Grand Theft Auto IV is Rockstar North’s magnum opus and it is absolutely essential. That’s all one needs to know."

Kombo: 10/10
"In my opinion, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game of this generation, thus far, and one of the best games ever made. All the previous Grand Theft Auto titles, for all their gameplay design revolutions, bold stylistic choices and intelligent social commentary, have merely been hints of Rockstar's talent and the franchise's potential. Grand Theft Auto IV represents a huge step forward for video games as an artistic medium and a challenge to the rest of the development community to catch up. No, it's not a flawless game, but it's still worthy of our highest score. Like the ultimate standard-bearer, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time was at the time of its release, Grand Theft Auto IV is so far ahead of the pack in so many key areas, that its influence is sure to be felt for years to come. "

Boomtown: 9/10
"GTA IV is the best game in the series. It's a triumph – especially in terms of design and character performance. A PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 owner's library is incomplete without it. But in four months time we'll remember it as a superb game, rather than a new epoch in videogaming."

CGaming Video: 10/10

sxephil Video: 10/10

Machspeed
"If you own a PS3 or a 360, get this game. Bottom line."

Marty

Smash Apprentice
How is this not loaded with interest/posts?

Anyway, this game looks brilliant. It suffers from the problem that all next gen games do in that it's WAY too shiny. But you can't have everything.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I'm not trying to get a flamming thing going on here, but myself, I feel GTA IV looks immedatly dissapointing.
I've seen both trailers, and been checking for updates on it regulaly.
And it look like more of the same old, same old to me?
I mean, Carjacking? Shooting people? *yawn* I've done that all SO much with Toni, Tommy, Vic, Claude, and Carl.
I'm hoping the game has a million new features, cause I'm sick of them.
Nicko looks cool though.
Mabye its just me being a grumpy old man, (okay, I'm 16) but compared to Brawl?
It just loses any jazz.
I'm guessing people will yell at me heavily, but mabye I'm wrong.
I dunno, I'm just one man.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Brawl looks immedatly dissapointing. I've seen all the videos, and been checking for updates on it regulaly.
I mean, fighting? Using items? *yawn* I've done that all so much on the N64 and GameCube.
etc etc.

All a matter of taste. I'd give this my more anticipated vote over Brawl because it's getting a lot more of an overhaul from San Andreas than Brawl is from Melee. GTA has never had an actual physics engine in place, in IV, you've got the NaturalMotion engine, which is state of the art and incredible. Being the graphics ***** I am, IV's graphics don't look that mind blowing to me in the video (you can see they are still working out issues like framerate, v-sync tearing, etc), which isn't surprising as open ended games like GTA are very difficult to get the level of detail and smoothness that developers want to get. They look like they're getting there with GTA IV though, so major props to Rockstar.

I can't wait to hear about possible multiplayer modes, too. Rockstar is notorious for being tight lipped all the way up until release, and even though E3 is only a little over a week away, I'm not expecting to hear much until September and October.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Brawl looks immedatly dissapointing. I've seen all the videos, and been checking for updates on it regulaly.
I mean, fighting? Using items? *yawn* I've done that all so much on the N64 and GameCube.
etc etc.

All a matter of taste. I'd give this my more anticipated vote over Brawl because it's getting a lot more of an overhaul from San Andreas than Brawl is from Melee. GTA has never had an actual physics engine in place, in IV, you've got the NaturalMotion engine, which is state of the art and incredible. Being the graphics ***** I am, IV's graphics don't look that mind blowing to me in the video (you can see they are still working out issues like framerate, v-sync tearing, etc), which isn't surprising as open ended games like GTA are very difficult to get the level of detail and smoothness that developers want to get. They look like they're getting there with GTA IV though, so major props to Rockstar.

I can't wait to hear about possible multiplayer modes, too. Rockstar is notorious for being tight lipped all the way up until release, and even though E3 is only a little over a week away, I'm not expecting to hear much until September and October.

Okay, good point with Brawl being essentaily the same thing, I admit.
It's just that GTA IV just..I dunno.
I don't think I wanna do the same thing again, for the SEVEN'th time!
With Smash, it's only been 3 outings, and they leave me hungry for more.
I admit, I WILL be getting GTA with bells on, (I'm to loyal to miss it) but Brawl comes with more anticipation for me.
With Brawl being a dissapointment, what do you mean?
It looks intriguing as hell to me!

Marty

Smash Apprentice
He's yanking you. Did you not notice the extreme similarity between the first lines of his post and your post?

Anyway, I can't agree more about the multi player modes. 2 (3, 4, 5?) -player co-op ACTUALLY DOING MISSIONS would be great. In particular I want free reign over where each player goes. None of this holding hands business.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I didn't mind the holding hands business from San Andreas, but only one player being able to get in a vehicle and such was annoying. I wanted to get some two Rhino action tearing up the streets of San Andreas... but couldn't. If the game doesn't have online co-op I'll be extremely surprised, especially when you have games like Crackdown that are and you can be anywhere on the map while your partner can be on the complete other side.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I must agree with you there cashed.
The awful "Within the boundarys of eachother" 2 player thing wasn't to hot in SA.
It was still fun, but GTA IV online could really be somethign special.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
I'm particularly looking forward to what the new physics engine will offer in high speed pursuits. Hopefully tap-outs will feature as a helpful tool.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, I'm really excited about the possibilities of Online Co-Op...
Rockstar are bound to have considered it! Would you anyone here like a "Deathmatch" mode? Where up to 8 players go online with a set amount of money and all weapons unlocked in Ammunation, and the last man standing wins?

Blackadder

Smash Master
^^^^
Pretty cool idea, as long as it's all around the new LC.

Speaking of the new Liberty City look, I wanna know;
Do you lot think its placed in an alternat universe to the old games?

It'll be sad not to see any of the old characters make a cameo..

Marty

Smash Apprentice
None of the games up to this point have been set alternately so; no, I don't. I expect to see Leone family members, that I have no doubt of.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Then how do you explain LC's new look?
The can;t just retcon that, it would make no sense.

And they can't say: "Oh in a few years time the city went under major construction" because thats just silly.

Anyone have a theory?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
They can say that, actually. It's their game, they've said that this is the fully realized version of Liberty City.

And death match doesn't belong in the GTA series, so I really hope the only form of online is co-op.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Well, yes, they CAN say that, but again, it's just silly, and screws with continuity.
It's just odd, is all.

And deathmatch probably will be included, Rockstar put it in LCS and VCS before.
Co-op would be pretty nifty though.

Teethpaste

Smash Cadet
Change of subject i reckon IV looks pretty good i was a bit dissapointed with Vice City Stories i reckon IV looks better than that one. Nicko in the trailors ive seen looks like a bit of a hitman or somthing like that its abit hard to tell but hopfully IV will suprise me and Blackadder and turn out to be the best of them all

Blackadder

Smash Master
It may turn out to be the best GTA so far.
But untill then, I remain apathetic of it. XD

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Rockstar: 360's Tech. Differences Affecting GTA IV

What do you think about the difference between Xbox360 and PS3 - the Hard Drive?
Rockstar are having a lot of trouble making it for the XBox360 due to the lack of a Hard Drive on the Core System - so all this extra content that would have made it will now be downloadable content you'd now presumably have to pay for...
Anyone upset at Microsoft's decision to use a Core Skew? It is merely for the war of prices (The Core System is in a close competition with the Wii after all) but this decision may have cost them AND the consumer in the long run with Big multiplatform games.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, I was initially off put by it's move to cross platform availability, as I wanted hard-drive availability to mean potentially colossal maps.

I was swiftly satiated in the knowledge that I probably wouldn't explore it all anyway.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Ehhhhh.
I'm gonna get the PS3 version, so it should all be grand for me.
I honestly don't give a d*mn about the Xbox version.

As long as I get to play the game, I'll be cool.

Blackadder

Smash Master
So, is anyone looking forward to the story-line?
it may be just me, but I find the character and story aspects of GTA games a wonderful part of the games all up.
Anyone else looking forward to some good-scripting?

Marty

Smash Apprentice
Come on man, don't be so condescending. YES, there ARE more people interested in the story, namely; myself at the very least.

Personally I'm hoping for a story like SA.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I wasn't being condesending, It's just no one i've ever met cares for the story or chaacters...it's all just how muhc guns are in it to them. XD

A wonderful story like SA would be what I'm after to, I thought it was great.
I also would like a character than changes somehow in through the game, similar to CJ's change.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
New Preview here:
Grand Theft Auto IV Update - A Day in Liberty City

, which will place more immediate and noticeable limits on--and stricter consequences for--the sort of illicit behavior you can get away with as you go about your dirty business around Liberty City. The goal of this constrained design isn't to ruin your happy crime sprees, but rather to immerse you deeper into the world of Liberty City by making some of those explicitly gamelike elements of the GTA titles a little more realistic.

Marty

Smash Apprentice
I was always kinda miffed by the way SA removed the way that I could without imposition mow through swathes of pedestrians.

On a related note to the video: If there's one thing that can be said about R*; they know how to make a trailer. ****.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Uh-oh...

Rockstar: 'Complete' GTA IV Experience on 360

"They're identical games. We're not hardware makers, and we're not like a pawn between these companies, we try not to be as much as we can. We make great games for people to enjoy on whichever system they want. But I guess if you want the complete experience with the episodes, then yeah, you should buy the 360, I suppose."

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
GTA IV has been delayed to Rockstar's 2nd financial quarter of 2008, which means sometime February 1st through April 30th.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161711

With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games," stated Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms. We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game's millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology."
Oh god...Another year? Yikes!

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Thread resurrection time!

Well coming out very soon. Look at that physics.. Love it.

-Onyx

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Just edited the first post in the thread for reviews, and official trailers!
Check out the video reviews (Gametrailers, IGN, 1UP) - they're very good!

Machspeed

Smash Lord
This game will be OVER THE TOP amazing - the graphics, the gameplay, the online, the storymode, its all just so overwhelming - I'm getting it for PS3 sometime this week.

My PSN is Machspeed, in case anyone wants to play some online. :)

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I was going to bump this, but looks like Onyx beat me to it.

Anyway, I just checked the soundtrack for this game, and I'd say this is one of the best soundtracks I have ever seen (better than Rock Band, oh yes, I went there). Scrolling down the list, Busta Rhymes, Nas, Ghostface Killah, Special Ed, MC Lyte, Gang Starr, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Aphex Twin, ELO, David Bowie, Black Sabbath, The Stooges, Queen, The Who, R.E.M., LCD Soundsystem, Hector El Father, Don Omar, Bob Marley, and Marvin Gaye will all have songs in this game. All artists I love.

Can't wait to shoot my friends up online!

nintengod

Smash Apprentice
This game will be OVER THE TOP amazing - the graphics, the gameplay, the online, the storymode, its all just so overwhelming - I'm getting it for PS3 sometime this week.

My PSN is Machspeed, in case anyone wants to play some online. :)
Ummm, sorry to break it to you, but its basically GTA3 with better graphics/physics/an online

i cant see the reason so many ppl want this, probably because its the perfect "killing ppl in a city game"

Cashed: you are bias toward gta4 you douche bag, dont lock my thread you *****

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Enjoy that infraction. :)

Man, Brawl is Melee with the same graphics, new physics and online. I don't see why so many people would buy that. Or the new Mario Kart! It's Double Dash with the same graphics! The only thing new is online, but even Mario Kart DS had that!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Trolls never really evolve.

His best excuse is "This is the same game with new stuff."

Christ, I do want this after Onxy's video clips.

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
Enjoy that infraction. :)

Man, Brawl is Melee with the same graphics, new physics and online. I don't see why so many people would buy that. Or the new Mario Kart! It's Double Dash with the same graphics! The only thing new is online, but even Mario Kart DS had that!
but he's right! i mean brawl is so much more than melee, same with mario kart
and the graphics of each are like 3x... not the same at all...
the only notable difference between psps liberty city stories and gta4 is the graphics
the physics still look ragdollish, its the same city i heard, the same guns, a crappier online play (super lag i heard, worse than brawls worst lag), and a storyline that from what i heard is very close to the psps version with different characters
at least brawl had ton of new features, modes, decloned, was reworked, online is decent for competitive play, stage creator, insane original music, cult favorite characters joining the fray, better stages, insane fantasy cutscenes that chilled my spine to the nerdiest extent while watching them, its game of the year at LEAST. .(NESS AND LUCAS FIGHTING TOGETHER AGAINST PORKEY? OMFG YES)

GTA4 plays, looks, sounds, and acts exactly like GTA3 with better graphics and an extremely ****ty online mode, if it gets game of the year im going to lose faith in the gaming communities intelligence

why would ANYONE buy a game thats nearly identical in every way to the psp version?
this reminds me of god of war1/2 or soul caliber 2/3
same character, same moves, dif storyline, total disappointment
GTA4 could have been SOOOO much better, at least change the freaking city, come on there's no excuse for that

Top Bottom