• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabs in 64 vs Melee/Brawl

jiggssmash64

Smash Rookie
Which do you guys like better?

Grabs that can kill like in 64 or weaker ones like in melee?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'd like to point out that grabs only flat-out kill if you're right next to the edge.

Grabs usually set up edgeguards, and if your opponent has okay positioning, maybe not even that.

I like both. It would be nice if there were 4 directional grabs in 64, but that would be a touch unbalanced.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Which do you guys like better?

Grabs that can maybe get the opponent close to the edge like in 64

OR

Grabs that can be repeated over and over again until the opponent can be killed in one move, basically rendering over half the cast useless in tournament play and requiring stages to be banned aka weaker ones in melee.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The majority of smash 64 grabs are good at killing at high percent, but good at either comboing (Falcon) or setting up a gimp (like Pikachu) at low percents. Its overall easier to hit a grab in smash 64 or brawl more often than melee. Grabs are usually used out of aerials. The bad smash 64 grabs are the overly slow ones with very few setup opportunities (Samus or Yoshi.) The good smash 64 grabs have incredible range and are very good at setting up combos (DK, Falcon, Pikachu, Mario). with most of the good smash 64 grabs, it is also possible to tap a vs a shield into a grab (See Mario, Pikachu, etc).

The majority of melee grabs are either for chain grabbing vs fast fallers or heavies (like Peach) or for setting up some form of combo (Jigglypuff) but many are both (Marth, IC's, Fox, Luigi, Shiek). Many of them are also very good for tech chasing, such as with Sheik's Down throw. The bad grabs either have a bad tech chasing opportunity or have bad range (like Kirby).

The majority of good brawl grabs are either used for grab release combos (See Sheik, slightly marth, anyone vs wario :p), chain grabs (FaLcOL, IC's, D3), or just have great range or setups (MK). The bad brawl grabs have overall low power or low range (such as Ganondorf or Jigglypuff).

I personally prefer melee's grabs as there is more of an opportunity to escape but I would prefer more of a balance. I dislike brawl's balance with the grabs.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
^How could you not mention the CG gods of brawl?

I'm gonna have to side with melee on this one. They have the best set ups imo- i.g Jigglypuff's Uthrow > Rest; Falco's CG > dair; Sheik's dthrow CG > combos; etc.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I think people are looking at SSB64's grabs too literally. If up and down throws were implemented into SSB, would falcon have a new down throw that's somehow even better at comboing?

No, and if you really pay attention some characters already have up/down throws. Which are the characters that people vote for being most consistent in comboing already? Falcon and Jiggs's Fthrows. Except Falcon's Fthrow is really a dthrow and jiggs's is a uthrow. Keeping this in mind it shows us that up/down throws could have existed in SSB64 without being broken or messing up the balance.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a real preference in throws, but in grabs I definitely prefer melee's. In 64 there's too little lag for missing grabs. Dash grabs and dashdance grabs, and even running grabs will beat half of anything unless you can do short hop aerials. But not enough of the general public knows about short hops, so you'll see these grabs spammers dominate poor noobs who end up losing interest in the game, having only a shallow impression of the game. If the grabs had miss-lag, and the throws were just slightly less powerful, this game would be more popular today imo.

H0lyQuebec

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion..

Grabs in n64 are meant to kill(few exceptions)
Grabs in melee are meant to combo.
Grabs in brawl are meant to combo. There are no combos in brawl and brawl sucks.

I like grabs in n64 more because i hear more ''THROW KILLS? FKIN SCRUB'' and makes me laugh.
Grabs in 64 are faster(at some point, abusive) which makes grabs almost as strong(almost, i said) in both damage and ''flying range'' as smashes.
There's barely any animation frames in a missed grab, which makes me laugh even moar when people are in teh hyrule's Pit, and grabgrabgrabgrabgrabgrabgrab the **** outta them and they keep missing, lololololol

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I like 64's hitstun, it's a HUGE part of what makes the game what it is, and with less intense throw ranges there would be too many easy combos. The long throws may kill earlier than usual but they also stop most characters from comboing out of them in any way.

Battlecow

Play to Win
64 grabs do kill all the time. DK's Bthrow, pika's Bthrow, and Jiggs's bthrow are all significant finishing moves for the character, and other throws often kill as well, even if you do usually need to edgeguard or whatnot.

I gotta say, 64's grabs are more my style. Chaingrabs are pretty boring IMO, and grabspam (which happens) is pretty easily countered with a good airgame or projectiles. plus, the combos are prettier with 64 grabs.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
If smash64 had the melee grabs, it would be less fun because of too many inescapable grab combos. If melee had 64 grabs, it would be less fun because it would be less risk and even higher reward
I think you mean throws when you say grabs. Melee grabs in 64 (where you get lag if you miss) would have been good imo. The throws would be the same; the only difference would be having to think more before throwing out a grab. There would be less of a reliance on grabs and more variety in players' game play (outside of the community here and online).

rpotts

Smash Lord
Yea when I play friendlies I always opt to not throw kill (i.e. if i have them grabbed at the ledge and a bthrow will kill, i fthrow, and vice versa) plus, getting people to high damages means a lot of cool combos and toying around with your opponent and gives you opportunities to combo with weak moves that aren't normally in your combo-arsenal.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
In 64, the grabs were stronger.
I personally like grabs for Melee and Brawl. Even though they are weak, you can get opponents in a combo. :)
This is one of the few times ill use >
>64 has only strong grabs that don't combo
>Brawl has combos

Refer to my sig below

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think the throws are fine for the games they are in, but what I don't like are the grabs themselves. SSB64 grabs are very low risk / high reward since they have very little lag, but they can also be very frustrating because a lot of the time you can be standing right next to someone mashing grab and you just can't grab them for whatever reason (especially with Fox).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would prefer the grabs of smash 64 with the spot dodge of melee. That is my main issue with the n64 setup

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^except that w/ melee spot dodge, if you actually dodged, they could just spam grab next to you and get you after the invincibility ended, but before you could hit them.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^except that w/ melee spot dodge, if you actually dodged, they could just spam grab next to you and get you after the invincibility ended, but before you could hit them.
most characters have quick enough spot dodges that they could avoid the grab and then hit the opponent due to ending lag. Its not just grabs however. Its also spot dodging to prevent set ups for grabs such as Falcon's fair or similar.

Top Bottom