• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabs - Better countered while new to the game?

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Ok, maybe I haven't been playing that long to know some super effective way to grab, but I see grabs like nothing, especially from our local Semi-Pro. However, when attempted against my friend who isn't fast as light, he always finds ways to kick me in the face, or more correctly smash or hit at all when I attempt a dash to a roll, or a roll to a grab. Can someone enlighten me wtih grab techniques or strategies, or is Ness grab-tarded?

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
The Advanced How to Play videos on Youtube might help for some of this, if you haven't seen them. (just search the above title).

JFox

Smash Hero
Do you Jump cancel grab? Much more effective than regular dash grabbing.

also use dash dancing. dash dance to random grab always works on noobs from my experience.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Air, based on the fact that he claimed he tried a "dash to a roll" and a "roll to a grab", my guess is that he dosn't know what a shffl or a shieldgrab is right now (I apologize if you do).

As Sky2042 said, find the Advanced How to Play video on ether Youtube or Google Video and watch that. Grabbing is a major, major, MAJOR part of most character's games, and that includes Ness. Some characters (read: Marth) have an easier time getting grabs in then others. Ness' grab range isn't spectacular...in fact, it's pretty suck...but Ness' throws are good enough for grabs to be worth it (his bthrow is strongest in the game).

Enough reading all that crap, go watch the video! :p

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Ahh

Well, couldn't find this thread, but lately, I've been realizing a few things about grabs. They're best used as counter-attacks, and yes, I've noticed Ness' bthrow owns hard, it's an instant kill at higher percentages.

That's my easiest way to duke my friend, next to edgehogging.

Sorry if this all seemed a bit noobish, we all start somewhere, don't we?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, it's not too late for you, read the sticky about all of the terms and learn how to do some general ones. Then go on over to the character specific forums and look for Ness' forum. You can get better help there for Ness than you can here in the general forum. I'll link you to the different forums, gimme a sec.

Advanced techniques and terms http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
Ness' forum http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79.

That should be enough to get you on the right track.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Nah

It's ok, I've been there.

Not to mention, knew most of those terms, just my local SSBM lord (Self-proclaimed, earlier mentioned as semi-pro) gave me incorrect information on their execution. ShFFL makes a lot more sense to me now. I've already been working on Wavedashing/Dash-Dancing and Edge game. If I can get off of punishment, I can get a vid of myself at my A-Game on here somewheres...

HolyChef

Smash Ace
shield grab

thats a something thatll help you grabbing ALOT, youll catch soooo many people(depending on skill level) as i have with it. and ness in my experience needs to goto grabbing school before brawl comes out.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm a Ness main myself. Grabbing is almost integral to perform combos for him (his u-throw to uair to uthrow to uair x 3 to bat is a death combo on falco)

The Ness super guide in the Ness forums will help you a lot. Read the list of things a ness should master in order to become pro. At this point in your game learn to shffl, then do shffl fair to grab to whatever throw, works on almost every character and is a staple Ness combo.

Jump Canceled grabs are good too (until you master them you can do cc grabed but jc is better.)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Be less predictable about when you attempt a grab. Also, since you are playing Ness, make sure you are VERY close to them before you try to grab. Ness's grab range leaves something to be desired. Dash dance -> grab or wavedash -> grab are good. Also once you do grab them, make sure to do something with it. u-throw leads to many combos, while b-throw is a kill move at high % or when combined with good edgeguarding.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Run back and forth until they come near you. When they do come near you run away and keep waiting for them to doa move, then grab them out of it. just run back and forth FOREVER.

Top Bottom