• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing with Zero Suit

g5tran

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been practicing with Zero suit for a couple months and have been improving thanks to this thread, but I've had trouble with Zero Suit Samus' grab. I always see a great time to grab during matches(shield grabbing or just trying to get them when their shielding) but usually by the time I've thrown out that whip, they've rolled or dodged it and are winding up some serious punishment.

When is it ideal to grab with Zero Suit? or is it just advisable to not use it often? Thanks!

Zero

Smash Hero
You have to be extra smart to grab with ZSS, because of the slow nature of it. An observant opponent need not predict the grab, they can actually see the start up :( So you, as a ZSS player, must predict this and outpredict them. You don't need to grab: if you predict a roll or spotdodge, charge a pivot downsmash or a spaced side B. The only time that it's really safe to grab is as a follow up. Weak uair often chains into grab, bair -> pivot grab often works, and the previous mindgame can also be applied for serious punishment. Basically, just keep safe, and when you think it's a good situation for a grab, predict what your opponent will do and beat it.

To answer the second question, yes, it is advisable to not use it often. However, when applied correctly, it's a devastating addon to your arsenal.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I only use her grab in three situations:

- After a DSmash.
- After a neutral B.
- After shielding a very laggy move.

But yeah, it shouldn't be used too much. Though if you do get the grab in, make the most of it.

sasook

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've been practicing with Zero suit for a couple months and have been improving thanks to this thread, but I've had trouble with Zero Suit Samus' grab. I always see a great time to grab during matches(shield grabbing or just trying to get them when their shielding) but usually by the time I've thrown out that whip, they've rolled or dodged it and are winding up some serious punishment.

When is it ideal to grab with Zero Suit? or is it just advisable to not use it often? Thanks!
Whoa....typing up the OP with future predicting skills? lol

To answer your question, basically what Zero said.

Also, in the future, use the Q&A for this type of thing.

Adapt

Smash Lord
There are a couple things not mentioned yet.

- know which moves have enough lag to be shield-grabbed. One I like to do is DDD's fair and bair I dunno if they are guaranteed but it works well for me. We have the range to grab people no matter how well they've spaced their laggy attack.

- Use grab as a mix-up. If you very rarely grab you can catch people off-guard by throwing it out instead of a more common move. If you catch people shielding your dash attack, dash-grab instead. Also at the beginning of the match when you are throwing the suit pieces around you can normally sneak a grab in by glide tossing down and grabbing rather than glide tossing forward

To sum things up: use it very sparsely and wisely...
most of the time if you shield a move you can follow up with something better. (bair, uair, usmash, dtilt, ftilt, utilt)

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
You can also grab opponents out of the air. If your opponent has used up their double jump, check for their landing, and throw a grab out right before they touch the ground.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Also, keep in mind the landing animation of some character's attacks. If you immediately try to grab Snake after he throws a bair out and hits your shield, your grab will just shoot over him. Luckily Snake's bair landing animation is pretty slow, just wait a little bit and then grab, and you'll be all set.

We have a stupid grab :(

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
You can also grab opponents out of the air. If your opponent has used up their double jump, check for their landing, and throw a grab out right before they touch the ground.
Also, keep in mind the landing animation of some character's attacks. If you immediately try to grab Snake after he throws a bair out and hits your shield, your grab will just shoot over him.

We have a stupid grab :(
these

grabbing double jump landings is sick. It's really important on the poor air control characters. or characters with bad landing aerials (like ourselves).

and the sourspot on our grab is one of the stupidest things I could ever imagine putting on a character. **** that ****.

g5tran

Smash Rookie
it's all good, her grabs set up into some pretty good combo's so the more tips the better. I have found that grabbing someone while they're landing is pretty awesome, except the whip sometimes goes through them instead of grabbing them :/

FUNKLAB

Smash Cadet
mountain_tiger pretty much summed it up for me as well. I try not to use our grab unless I'm almost positive it will land. We don't have the luxury of throwing out grabs like character's with much shorter grab animations =( it's just part of her game and something, that if you commit to, you will get used to.

PS: It's worth it cause ZSS is awesome

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
**** did I really necro it?

my bad. I just revisited the threads after being gone for ever so it said it had new posts. forgot to look at post date...

I fail zss boards ):

Top Bottom