• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing times for Pit

Polar Bear

Smash Rookie
Just until the other day I didn't know that the number of strikes you could put on a guy when holding him depended on his damage percentage. I know, I'm a noob. So that made me wonder what damage percentages corresponded to how many strikes. I timed how long a character stayed in a grab for at what percentage three times first. Here's what I got in seconds.

0%... 1.85s, 1.91s, 1.82s ------- 70%... 4.00s, 3.98s, 3.94s

10%... 2.27s, 2.29s, 2.24s ------- 80%... 4.20s, 4.24s, 4.18s

20%... 2.49s, 2.48s, 2.44s ------- 90%... 4.47s, 4.44s, 4.45s

30%... 2.75s, 2.82s, 2.76s ------- 100%... 4.72s, 4.77s, 4.71s

40%... 3.12s, 3.00s, 3.04s ------- 110%... 5.03s, 5.04s, 5.01s

50%... 3.32s, 3.33s, 3.30s ------- 120%... 5.41s, 5.38s, 5.36s

60%... 3.66s, 3.52s, 3.55s ------- 130%... 5.63s, 5.64s, 5.71s

Also from what I timed, each strike is about 2/3 of a second. So what does all this junk mean? It means in theory you get this many strikes per grab percentage (rounded down since you can't have .7 of a hit). I didn't go past 130% because you should have a KO by then, if not sooner.

0% is 2 --- 70% is 5
10 % is 3 --- 80 % is 6
20 % is 3 --- 90% is 6
30% is 4 --- 100% is 7
40% is 4 --- 110% is 7
50% is 5 --- 120% is 8
60% is 5 --- 130% is 8

Those numbers are theoretical though. In application, you subtract one strike because your fingers probably aren't that insanely fast (if they are congrats to you) and another strike because you'll want to throw the guy before time is up. So in a game, you're probably going to get two strikes less than what's above at maximum.

I don't know if this has been done before, I haven't seen it yet, and I figured it's somewhat useful so you can get your maximum hits in and still have time to throw. :) Also, this may be a standard for all characters, but I tested it on Pit grabbing a Falco.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Does this include the opponent trying to be out of the grab?
No it doesnt. A thread like this was made already but it died. Also hitting while grabbing(pummels) Vary for characters. I just know Wolf has the fastest, Dk does the most damage and pummels replenish moves if timed/spaced

Coffee™

I need it....
The only problem with this (its a big problem) is that you don't acknowledge your opponent actually breaking out and how fast they can do it, as that would greatly affect how much pummels can actually be done. For example there was an instance that Reflex broke out of Dedede's grab pummels at over 100% after just one pummel which means where you have it listed at 100% that you can get around 7 pummels is very incorrect Unless it's against a Wolf or something.

Generally if I'm trying to break out around that percentage depending on the character I normally break out around 3-4 but with characers with slower pummels normally 2. It's unrealistic to say you'll really get 7 pummels in unless the person you're grabbing is over 200%

kown

Smash Lord
maybe if you subtract 2 from all of polar bears pummels it would be more correct....i get the number 2 because at 0 percent polar bear says we can get 2 pummels in....which is wrong because the opponent breaks out b4 you can get one..usually...so subtracting two from each would seem more ideal...just a thought.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
maybe if you subtract 2 from all of polar bears pummels it would be more correct....i get the number 2 because at 0 percent polar bear says we can get 2 pummels in....which is wrong because the opponent breaks out b4 you can get one..usually...so subtracting two from each would seem more ideal...just a thought.
Kown...read what ravyn said, there can't necessarily be a list since it varies among, characters and players break out abilities.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
All technically wrong.

I forgot the exact formula but it's something like 100 frames base + 5 frames per % - 10 frames per input. You can make an input every frame.

This means at 0% the formula goes:

100 frames + 5*0 - 10x = 100 frames - 10x, assuming your opponent is godlike and can make 1 input per frame. That gives you 10 frames to do a pummel. I don't know Pit's frame data, but I doubt its faster then 10 frames.

at 50%

100 frames + 5*50 - 10x = 100 frames + 250 - 10x = 350 frames - 10x = 35 frames assuming perfect input

The character you are playing as have different pummel speeds. (Lucario and Wolf pummel quickly while Sheik pummels pretty slowly) so the frame differences matter. However at certain %'s you can guarenteed x amount of pummels if you have frame data and everything is perfect.

\start Ankoku quote
After 50%, I think it's around every 18% you can safely add a pummel (/end Ankoku quote) however I feel it's every 23%..

Polar Bear

Smash Rookie
all i said is that subtracting two from each number would make that list more accurate...oramiwrong?
*Cough*
Those numbers are theoretical though. In application, you subtract one strike because your fingers probably aren't that insanely fast (if they are congrats to you) and another strike because you'll want to throw the guy before time is up. So in a game, you're probably going to get two strikes less than what's above at maximum.
Anyway, thanks for the formula SuSa. I wasn't aware that struggling made a difference.

Top Bottom