• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Releases with Samus

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Hi guys, not sure if this deserves it's on topic or not but I think a key area that can help Samus in matches is grab releases. And by grab release I mean air release

How do I air release
A question I and maybe others have is "How do I perform an air release?"
Another question is: How do I consistently force an air release?

Why Air Release?
I don't have as much time to expound on it as I would like to (I will update later) but the gist is a LOT of players don't know about the grab releases Samus has on a lot of characters. And by don't know, I mean they don't know the options they have to escape her grab releases and so they fall for them.

While you could always throw them, and I recommend throwing them if you want to re-space yourself or put them in a good Samus zone (above her or mid distance in front of her). However, grab releases are great for scaring your opponent and setting up into combos or KILL SETUPS (Wario, MK, IC). It is my hope that with enough testing and tries, we can etch a few matchups by a point or half a point in our favor. It certainly helps in the Wario matchup and will force errors.

It also allows you to get the opponent OFF THE STAGE AND IN A BAD ZONE. Your forwward throw is not going to do that... air releasing -> zair will.

To set up grabs so you can at least try to air release, use the non-sweetspot zair -> grab frame trap.

Ponder these:

Snake
+ Air release -> zair

Lucas
+ Air release -> zair Lucas. It is very tight timing though.

Ness
+ Air release -> zair . It is very tight timing though.

Yoshi
+ Air release -> zair. It is very tight timing though.

Meta Knight
+ Grab -> pummel -> Air release -> dash and grab (frame perfect) -> pummel -> air release rinse repeat.
+ Air release -> Charge Shot -> Zair

( If they mash jump they can escape both. Most MKs don't know these so they try to shield and they fail)

Wario

Normal colored options are generally used to combo. *KO*means its good to KO. * means it is tight timing

+ Air release -> Ftilt (tilted up)
+ Air release -> Fair or Uair
+ Air release -> Screw Attack
+ Air release -> Dash Attack -> Screw Attack
+ Air release -> Medium Charge chot -> zair

*KO* Air release -> Full Charge Shot
*KO* Air release -> Up tilt
*KO* Air release -> Fsmash (tilted up)
*KO* Air release -> Dtilt (Wario can mash jump frantically to escape)
*KO* Air release -> Bair *
*KO* Air release -> Dair *

+ All of these air releases provide dozens of opportunities to KO Wario. Mix up these Air releases to get wario to DI the wrong direction and die early, or KO with a fresh move that normally is a pain to set up. (ie say you've been Air releasing -> plasma shot Wario about 3 times now and they see they can't escape. You grab them again, they expect your shot and hold up to DI. There's your time to AR -> Dtilt or Utilt them because they are DI'ing the wrong direction)

+ It's worth mentioning that the air releases in yellow are very strict in timing. They certainly look cool but maybe real tough to perform. Most are performed near the edge of the stage so you might be better off with the Fsmash/Utilt/Charge Shot.

How to test grab releases
I can't do this all on my own, but it would be great to see if you guys could find awesome grab releases on top tier and common characters (Snake, Diddy, Dedede etc). How can you test grab releases?
1. Need two people (or one with really tough timing)
2. Grab your opponent and pummel them
3. Have the person helping you mash the jump button and hold different directions (DI) away from you throughout this time.
4. You're trying to see what the character can do when they are air released, most importantly: how quick they can react, you can react, and how far away they are from Samus to see your options.

I think this could be a great

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Knowing Samus grab is HORRIBLE i have not dug deep into air/ground release grabs but i DO KNOW that the metaknight one CANNOT happen.

The lucas and ness one i havnt tried and the wario one seems like it could work.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I was once going to test Samus's GR but then I realized how low she holds them to the ground.
Even MK's feet touch the ground.

I was hoping that GR would be a Power Beam set up.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
You can grab release -> power beam, check the topic.

They have to be at certain percentages and preferably mashing to release themself

Xyro77 said:
Knowing Samus grab is HORRIBLE i have not dug deep into air/ground release grabs but i DO KNOW that the metaknight one CANNOT happen.
I have done both to a once Power Ranked MK (Pain) in San Diego. If they don't know about how to escape they will not escape. They usually try to shield which doesn't work

Top Bottom