• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab release desynch

Mr. Me

Smash Rookie
If an opponent is released from popo's grab both popo and the opponent enter lag, during which nana can receive inputs.

If the opponent is released onto the ground they experience 30 frames of lag, 50 if released into the air. So you have that many (minus nana's 6 frame delay) to attack the lagged opponent.

Does anyone make use of this, possibly in the case of a quick mash-out or dropped wobble?

:icsmelee::icsmelee:

xawnder

Smash Rookie
If I can catch it in time (My reflexes are terrible), I try to land another grab with nana to
A: Convert to handoffs if the opponent is released close enough to a ledge
B: Cover nana's F-throw, downthrow, of upthrow with a WD-forward charged upsmash (if she back throws, you have enough time to let go of the smash and reset neutral)
C: F-smash off of the grab into either a kill/edge guard situation, or techchase (depending on where nana gets the grab)

Out of a wobble might be a little tougher if you go braindead at 200bpm. If you can catch it in time, you can pick up the wobble again. However, if nana is already jabbing, then they can buffer a roll away/shine after the jab because they would be hit out of the lag, and you won't be. (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.) But if you catch her jab, you can downsmash with nana to hit/clank with them, or reset neutral if they manage to roll away.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yes, thats one of the things im using more to get a more solid practical game. For example the grab stores the mashed inputs, so if you wobble, and just stop, it'll be a set time until they release, learn that timing and you can kill them easier without the risk of hitting them with a timing that sends them nowere,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7vvCPgoNJ8

In this set i kinda use it to expose the commentator without anyone noticing (second stock second match) ;)

Jesus!

Smash Cadet
if they're mashing they can jump out of grab release which makes it really hard to follow up. however, in the rare cases that they aren't mashing this works pretty well especially when seperated. you hold them while nana runs to you so you can punish then resync

Smasher89

Smash Lord
if they're mashing they can jump out of grab release
No, they are stuck for the frameduration mentioned above. what you think is jumping is actually airreleasing, which is like mentioned above, a 50 frame animation while they "jump and fall" from the grab, before the one grabbed gain any kind of control.

Im quite sure the airrelease should be punishable, but would like a frame data .gif on that.

Top Bottom